Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
godlameroso

Re: Honda Power Unit

Honda will equip the Aus spec engine in the STR13 this week, a small step forward is expected for Melbourne, there haven't been any serious setbacks or stoppages, and it's NOT a new engine each day. Everything is going according to plan.
Saishū kōnā

63l8qrrfy6

galien wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 02:24

That’s you’re talking about?

http://www.engineerlive.com/content/dam ... -stability
Yes, except that ISFDs are too bulky to be used in anything but stationary turbomachinery.
Aero engines typically use annular springs (squirrel cage) to support the SFD while smaller applications rely solely on the stiffness of the oil film.

bigblue

godlameroso wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 20:18
Honda will equip the Aus spec engine in the STR13 this week, a small step forward is expected for Melbourne, there haven't been any serious setbacks or stoppages, and it's NOT a new engine each day. Everything is going according to plan.
Three engines used across the two tests, as planned beforehand rather than because of issues (from Ted's Notebook, Test 2 Day 3, interviewing James Key at approx 1 min 40 sec into the video).

For interest, later on in the video Ted says Renault have used one engine.

johnny comelately

Mudflap wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 21:03
galien wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 02:24

That’s you’re talking about?

http://www.engineerlive.com/content/dam ... -stability
Yes, except that ISFDs are too bulky to be used in anything but stationary turbomachinery.
Aero engines typically use annular springs (squirrel cage) to support the SFD while smaller applications rely solely on the stiffness of the oil film.
Interesting subject. Can remember RG500 works engines destroying themselves. unique situation in that there is a consequencial (new word) engine design resulting in the bearing having to control all vibrations and with only a smell of 2T oil to lube they were dependent on clearance. They were 2 sizes too big on that and kahboom. The factory engineers would not accept that until an independent test done by the mechanic proved it, very tense time and the rider not happy because of his skin. More an insight into factory, dare I say it, culture than anything.

PlatinumZealot

bigblue wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 01:33
godlameroso wrote:
Three engines used across the two tests, as planned beforehand rather than because of issues (from Ted's Notebook, Test 2 Day 3, interviewing James Key at approx 1 min 40 sec into the video).

Good stuff if you ask me! Honda has to be aggressive. No better time than now to test different concepts.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Zynerji

PlatinumZealot wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 02:30
bigblue wrote:
godlameroso wrote:

Good stuff if you ask me! Honda has to be aggressive. No better time than now to test different concepts.
Interested to see if they hang their nuts out tomorrow with the Aus Spec engine and low fuel Q runs on HS/US tyres.

Roostfactor

Going back to the PU, the difference in length I was asked between the Spec 3.XX and 4 was slightly over 4 cm and now that things are becoming more transparent, that was an issue with McLaren specifically PP. There was also a 4 kg difference in weight.
4cm longer? 4kg lighter?
IIRC Wazari San stated months ago that the spec 4 was a few cm's longer and heavier. Primarily at the heads due to the combustion concept. Wasari San I hope I am correct and not misquoting you.

Nonserviam85

4 kg heavier to alleviate the vibration and resonance issues IIRC

ArcticWolfie

bigblue wrote:
godlameroso wrote:

3 engines makes sense though:
1st to put some milage on and send it back to Sakura for testing/checking.
2nd engine to continue the car testing.
3rd engine to test some engine updates for the upcoming race weekend.

kasio

ArcticWolfie wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 13:41
bigblue wrote:
godlameroso wrote:

3 engines makes sense though:
1st to put some milage on and send it back to Sakura for testing/checking.
2nd engine to continue the car testing.
3rd engine to test some engine updates for the upcoming race weekend.
As i understood that. They used 2 engines during first testing and swapped it each day. they used a day for inspection and swapped it back in. In second testing they are using 3rd engini wich is Aus spec.

etusch

HPD

Key: They really have only run one engine for the entirety of Test 02.
https://scuderiatororosso.redbull.com/e ... 02-day-4-2
498 Laps

etusch

I was ok if Honda can finish season with 5 unit but they look better. Again I hope to see power updates rather than seeing them finishing whole season with only 3 unit.

I2oni

etusch wrote:I was ok if Honda can finish season with 5 unit but they look better. Again I hope to see power updates rather than seeing them finishing whole season with only 3 unit.
That's it

Sent from my HUAWEI NXT-L29 using Tapatalk

etusch wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 23:42
I was ok if Honda can finish season with 5 unit but they look better. Again I hope to see power updates rather than seeing them finishing whole season with only 3 unit.
I'd bet they go for the same strategy as Renault and bring 4. That will allow them more development. Maybe not, but I could see it happening.