Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Soichiro

Re: Honda Power Unit

Jerrycobra wrote:
25 Mar 2018, 10:42
I guess how ever much testing you do it ain't a true test until the actual race. At race pace the engines aren't even pushed to the "limit" but I guess something about actual racing conditions just stress these engines a bit more that can cause a failure vs a race simulation. From the replays it looks like it might have blew a turbo or on oil line. The ICE was still running when it pulled into the pits.
A sudden vertical impact? There was also the pull of liquids to one side and then down/up. They could install a "hydraulic puncher" under the test rig and hit the car while simulating acceleration out of the corner. :D

Soichiro

sn809 wrote:
25 Mar 2018, 11:23
They should just pop in the upgraded engine.
If it is close enough, then yes.

restless

or (again) issue with oil contamination?

HPD

@ ispano6 posted something interesting in the TR thread.
The blow could have been one of the consequences.

etusch

HPD wrote:
25 Mar 2018, 13:16
@ ispano6 posted something interesting in the TR thread.
The blow could have been one of the consequences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3JhR1qMh_8
It trigered the problem it seems but I didn't read MGU-H change on bottas engine. Honda must close this reliability at least

McMika98

The question now is if Honda can replace the MGUH only and expect it to work. Last year they changed the whole unit with turbo and compressor whenever there was a failure. Hoping its a glitch as Gasly did have some issues in quali as well when he thought the delivery was not there.

Revs84

Anyone knows if Honda are still using the MGU-H built by MAT or have already started using one built in-house?

I recall that at the end of last season they seemed to get on top of their MGU-H gremlins. Is it possible that damages on such impacts as shown in the clip on turn 12 were mitigated in the MCL32 but not in the STR13? Possibly something they weren't able to replicate during testing due to the resurfacing of the track?

michl420

Of Course this is something that don't happen in Barcelona, even more with the new Asphalt, but such Things happen thousand times in a Season. A engine HAS to endure that.

Revs84

It's extremely unfortunate I must say that it didn't happen in testing and I also wonder how such thing doesn't get replicated on a dyno either.

Here's hoping this will be just a one-off occurrence and not something that will come up every few races.

Craigy

Revs84 wrote:
25 Mar 2018, 22:19
It's extremely unfortunate I must say that it didn't happen in testing and I also wonder how such thing doesn't get replicated on a dyno either.
When discussing this a couple of years ago, I suggested hitting the block with a hammer while it's running on the dyno.

I've not changed opinion on that.

Sieper

It would seem so counter intuitive, you feel afraid of damaging a high strung diamond, but indeed, such things must be done during bench testing. Does it break or not? And If so, why?

But aren’t they doing impact shocks during bench testing? Anybody knows?

PhillipM

It seems remarkably similar to the previous years, the engine stands what they throw at it on the dyno but the minute it's actually in the car under load, vibration, kerb strikes, etc, it has issues.

Revs84

If I were the lead on testing such things, the benchmark would be to make sure the engine is still running perfectly after being banged around for a few seconds at regular intervals in order to sign it off :-D

Jokes apart, how does such a bump resonate so hard on the MGU-H that it causes it and the TC to fail? Isn't it mounted directly on the engine without any auxiliary attached components? Wouldn't engine and MGU-H mountings (I suppose it has?) be able to dampen such shocks?

Any idea of what the issue could be? Is it possible that this is down to how the engine is integrated in the STR13, whereas all previous reliability development was mainly focused on the knowledge derived from the MCL32 integration?

Stef

Maybe there was an underlying problem and the bottoming was the final hit.

loner

Stef wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 09:19
Maybe there was an underlying problem and the bottoming was the final hit.
perhaps packaging flaw
para bellum.