Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
godlameroso
294
User avatar
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:27 pm
Location: Miami FL

Re: Honda Power Unit

Post by godlameroso » Tue May 01, 2018 1:29 pm

Never mind the fuel I wonder what kind of hardware updates they'll have in a month. New injectors? New prechamber? New heads with revised ports? Higher compression pistons?
The height of cultivation is really nothing special. It is merely simplicity; the ability to express the utmost with the minimum. Mr.Lee

PlatinumZealot
338
User avatar
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Re: Honda Power Unit

Post by PlatinumZealot » Tue May 01, 2018 7:14 pm

It has gone awfully quiet from Japan. Means they are working assiduously.
"The true champions are also great men. They are capable of making difficult decisions, of admitting their mistakes and of pushing harder than before when they get up from a fall."

- Ferrari chairman Sergio Marchionne

Craigy
69
User avatar
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:20 am
Location: UK

Re: Honda Power Unit

Post by Craigy » Tue May 01, 2018 8:00 pm

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 7:14 pm
It has gone awfully quiet from Japan. Means they are working assiduously.
Either that or Honda have got to the point where the stuff they are putting into next years PU is advanced enough* that they want it all kept as secret as possible.

*Both in design and in principle

anthonyfa18
26
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:03 pm

Re: Honda Power Unit

Post by anthonyfa18 » Tue May 01, 2018 8:30 pm

Craigy wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 8:00 pm
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 7:14 pm
It has gone awfully quiet from Japan. Means they are working assiduously.
Either that or Honda have got to the point where the stuff they are putting into next years PU is advanced enough* that they want it all kept as secret as possible.

*Both in design and in principle
or mabe they have found a big step and that is why redbull is looking in to it
Renault is understood to be planning a significant performance step for June's Canadian Grand Prix, which could coincide with the next major upgrade from Honda.

This would present a key comparison between the two manufacturers' performance and development levels, if Red Bull has not firmed up an engine supply deal by then.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hond ... 31628/?s=1

loner
11
User avatar
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:34 pm

Re: Honda Power Unit

Post by loner » Tue May 01, 2018 10:12 pm

anthonyfa18 wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 8:30 pm
Craigy wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 8:00 pm
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 7:14 pm
It has gone awfully quiet from Japan. Means they are working assiduously.
Either that or Honda have got to the point where the stuff they are putting into next years PU is advanced enough* that they want it all kept as secret as possible.

*Both in design and in principle
or mabe they have found a big step and that is why redbull is looking in to it
Renault is understood to be planning a significant performance step for June's Canadian Grand Prix, which could coincide with the next major upgrade from Honda.

This would present a key comparison between the two manufacturers' performance and development levels, if Red Bull has not firmed up an engine supply deal by then.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hond ... 31628/?s=1
RBR with renault always lack that last ponies needed to take the fight to Mercedes its a trajectory since 2014 .. their chassis is so advanced high efficiency but they always lack some more HP
but its hard it needs much more money and manpower which Renault not willing to achieve
now the situation with Honda not so far from Renault same politics however Honda's R&D
is technically more advanced than Renault .. Marko said that Honda PU is technically interesting
this can give an image of 2 things in my opinion .. Honda PU can provide RBR with some more hp
around 20-30 (which will still be not enough ) and it can provide an advantage in packaging
couple this with the RBR chassis and aero .. for sure you will find that RBR-Honda is better than RBR-Renault its very possible in this scenario RBR can take the fight to Mercedes
Wazari hinted before about the 2019 season for Honda to reach the needed maturity for wining WCC so we need to watch the next PU 2 updates during 2018 very closely...
It Tolls for Thee.

maguetox
16
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:46 am

Re: Honda Power Unit

Post by maguetox » Tue May 01, 2018 10:33 pm

anthonyfa18 wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 8:30 pm
Craigy wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 8:00 pm
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 7:14 pm
It has gone awfully quiet from Japan. Means they are working assiduously.
Either that or Honda have got to the point where the stuff they are putting into next years PU is advanced enough* that they want it all kept as secret as possible.

*Both in design and in principle
or mabe they have found a big step and that is why redbull is looking in to it
Renault is understood to be planning a significant performance step for June's Canadian Grand Prix, which could coincide with the next major upgrade from Honda.

This would present a key comparison between the two manufacturers' performance and development levels, if Red Bull has not firmed up an engine supply deal by then.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hond ... 31628/?s=1
Helmuk Marko is an old fox, to me the too open meeting between Honda and Red Bull is more to create some pressure over Renault than the real intention of changing of PU supplier for next Year. Honda is not on par with Renault output and unfortunately I have my doubts that Honda can have the necessary gains to move closer to the upper part of the field, and like it or not to Renault, is by RBR that they can say they have a winning P.U.

bigblue
21
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:18 am

Re: Honda Power Unit

Post by bigblue » Tue May 01, 2018 10:54 pm

We mustn't get carried away, Red Bull need to keep their options open as long as possible, so they're doing what they must do, and we need to see the updates from Renault and Honda.

Honda are still behind as far as anyone can determine, but not far. There is very little talk about what's coming, and although we'd love some rumour and intrigue (!), it's better than promising the world and then missing completely. In fact saying nothing and just turning up with a decent upgrade would really be the most sensible approach, and quite cool in a way. Or maybe there are no significant gains on the near timescale (noooo !).

loner
11
User avatar
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:34 pm

Re: Honda Power Unit

Post by loner » Tue May 01, 2018 11:38 pm

bigblue wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 10:54 pm
We mustn't get carried away, Red Bull need to keep their options open as long as possible, so they're doing what they must do, and we need to see the updates from Renault and Honda.

Honda are still behind as far as anyone can determine, but not far. There is very little talk about what's coming, and although we'd love some rumour and intrigue (!), it's better than promising the world and then missing completely. In fact saying nothing and just turning up with a decent upgrade would really be the most sensible approach, and quite cool in a way. Or maybe there are no significant gains on the near timescale (noooo !).
they already said so..
Honda will focus on reliability over performance with its first race specification engine for the 2018 Formula 1 season
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hond ... y-1009114/

we need to watch the coming 2 updates during 2018.
It Tolls for Thee.

godlameroso
294
User avatar
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:27 pm
Location: Miami FL

Re: Honda Power Unit

Post by godlameroso » Wed May 02, 2018 3:25 am

I haven't seen a significant power deficit quite frankly. Yes they're behind, but Honda is just finding their stride. It's a pimple faced teenager just entering a big growth spurt.
The height of cultivation is really nothing special. It is merely simplicity; the ability to express the utmost with the minimum. Mr.Lee

carisi2k
27
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:26 pm

Re: Honda Power Unit

Post by carisi2k » Wed May 02, 2018 10:46 pm

loner wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 11:38 pm
bigblue wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 10:54 pm
We mustn't get carried away, Red Bull need to keep their options open as long as possible, so they're doing what they must do, and we need to see the updates from Renault and Honda.

Honda are still behind as far as anyone can determine, but not far. There is very little talk about what's coming, and although we'd love some rumour and intrigue (!), it's better than promising the world and then missing completely. In fact saying nothing and just turning up with a decent upgrade would really be the most sensible approach, and quite cool in a way. Or maybe there are no significant gains on the near timescale (noooo !).
they already said so..
Honda will focus on reliability over performance with its first race specification engine for the 2018 Formula 1 season
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hond ... y-1009114/

we need to watch the coming 2 updates during 2018.
That was in February and since then it has been announced that an engine upgrade for both Renault and Honda with a performance boost will be coming around Canada. The reliability of the Honda has been fine since they sorted out the vibration issue after Australia and so they are looking for more power.

etusch
63
User avatar
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:09 pm
Location: Turkey

Re: Honda Power Unit

Post by etusch » Thu May 03, 2018 8:17 am

Renault said that their qualy mode is worst between 4. If Honda match with renault after second PU Honda will have Qually mode advantage over renault. In fact they already have it according to Abiteboul.
I don't know how much tenths redbull will lost with current PU If they run a Honda PU they would be better at qualy which is important for Redbull's current situation.

godlameroso
294
User avatar
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:27 pm
Location: Miami FL

Re: Honda Power Unit

Post by godlameroso » Tue May 08, 2018 11:10 pm

What is superoxide? Why is a spark from high voltage tension necessary? In other words what is created in the spark gap?
The height of cultivation is really nothing special. It is merely simplicity; the ability to express the utmost with the minimum. Mr.Lee

trinidefender
300
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:37 pm

Re: Honda Power Unit

Post by trinidefender » Wed May 09, 2018 7:46 am

etusch wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 8:17 am
Renault said that their qualy mode is worst between 4. If Honda match with renault after second PU Honda will have Qually mode advantage over renault. In fact they already have it according to Abiteboul.
I don't know how much tenths redbull will lost with current PU If they run a Honda PU they would be better at qualy which is important for Redbull's current situation.
Sorry but what? Maybe I'm going crazy but when did Abiteboul say that? I recall nothing of the sort. All he stated was that the Renault PU qualifying mode doesn't provide a huge increase in power compared to the highest race modes. Drastic difference.

I'm all for Honda improving however sprouting random things (read nonsense) like this just spreads misinformation that people use as ammunition for when things don't got right.

Wouter
76
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:02 pm

Re: Honda Power Unit

Post by Wouter » Wed May 09, 2018 10:43 am

etusch wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 8:17 am
If Honda match with renault after second PU Honda will have Qually mode advantage over renault. In fact they already have it according to Abiteboul.
That seems to be right. The Qualification mode from RBR is only 0,1 sec. Honda already has a better Q mode.
If both engines get upgraded, that Q mode from Honda will still be better. Renault is not changing the Q mode.

Wouter
76
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:02 pm

Re: Honda Power Unit

Post by Wouter » Wed May 09, 2018 10:52 am

trinidefender wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 7:46 am
etusch wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 8:17 am
Renault said that their qualy mode is worst between 4. If Honda match with renault after second PU Honda will have Qually mode advantage over renault. In fact they already have it according to Abiteboul.
Sorry but what? Maybe I'm going crazy but when did Abiteboul say that? I recall nothing of the sort.
Abiteboul said that on TV in a interview. Honda had last year already a Q mode, Renault didn't.
I may hope you are not going crazy right now. :wink: