Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
ivanlesk

Re: Honda Power Unit

Wouter wrote:
09 May 2018, 11:52
trinidefender wrote:
09 May 2018, 08:46
etusch wrote:
03 May 2018, 09:17
Renault said that their qualy mode is worst between 4. If Honda match with renault after second PU Honda will have Qually mode advantage over renault. In fact they already have it according to Abiteboul.
Sorry but what? Maybe I'm going crazy but when did Abiteboul say that? I recall nothing of the sort.
Abiteboul said that on TV in a interview. Honda had last year already a Q mode, Renault didn't.
I may hope you are not going crazy right now. :wink:
Link?

NL_Fer

Every car must have a single-lap mode at least. Most simpel form would be minimal energy harvesting, starting with a full battery and crossing the finish with a depleted one. And no fuel saving.

They also use it for the start and 1st lap.

trinidefender

Wouter wrote:
trinidefender wrote:
etusch wrote:
03 May 2018, 09:17
Renault said that their qualy mode is worst between 4. If Honda match with renault after second PU Honda will have Qually mode advantage over renault. In fact they already have it according to Abiteboul.
Sorry but what? Maybe I'm going crazy but when did Abiteboul say that? I recall nothing of the sort.
Abiteboul said that on TV in a interview. Honda had last year already a Q mode, Renault didn't.
If you are talking about this
http://www.f1i.com/news/281697-renault- ... -2018.html

Then you may be a little confused. He didn't say that they didn't have a mode used for qualifying. He simply stated that this mode wasn't "magic" like what other teams have.

Every PU has a multitude of different ECU modes that can be selected to save fuel, maximise power over the whole race with minimum fuel saving (assuming race strategy goes to plan), an overtaking mode, qualifying and everything in between.

Every team has always had a qualifying mode. Just Mercedes and Ferrari's own is miles better than Honda and Renaults own.

Also that was for 2017....not 2018.

PlatinumZealot

Yes. Agreed. And don't forget that ALL teams were running their engines conservatively to get a feel of the reliability. We don't really know the true gaps between the engines yet. We might know in Canada.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Wouter

trinidefender wrote:
09 May 2018, 17:46
Wouter wrote:
trinidefender wrote:

If you are talking about this
http://www.f1i.com/news/281697-renault- ... -2018.html

Then you may be a little confused. He didn't say that they didn't have a mode used for qualifying. He simply stated that this mode wasn't "magic" like what other teams have.

Every PU has a multitude of different ECU modes that can be selected to save fuel, maximise power over the whole race with minimum fuel saving (assuming race strategy goes to plan), an overtaking mode, qualifying and everything in between.

Every team has always had a qualifying mode. Just Mercedes and Ferrari's own is miles better than Honda and Renaults own.

Also that was for 2017....not 2018.
@ trinidefender, I am not confused. Horner asked Renault very often last year if they could also get a qualifying mode. Renault did not want that, because the engine was not reliable. At the end of the season, Taffin promised Horner to deliver a Q mode for the 2018 season and a more reliable engine. RBR is racing this season for the first time with a Q mode. According to Horner is this mode not "magic" like what other teams have, it only delivers 0.1 sec.

I also heard Abiteboul in front of the camera on TV during the second or third race weekend this year saying that the Q mode of Honda delivers more power than their own Q mode, but that they are working hard to get more power during the Q.

Edit. 23-03-2018
It is perhaps the question that all Max Verstappen fans have wondered about last winter. Does Red Bull finally have a qualifying mode available this year? If we can believe Max, not. The Dutchman spoke to Olav Mol this morning after the second free practice and he informed that Renault has not found anything yet.

https://twitter.com/ZiggoSportF1/status ... odus-.html
Last edited by Wouter on 09 May 2018, 21:29, edited 1 time in total.
The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

ivanlesk wrote:
09 May 2018, 16:30
Wouter wrote:
trinidefender wrote:

Link?
@Ivanlesk, I heard Abiteboul in front of the camera on TV during the second or third race weekend this year saying
that the Q mode of Honda delivers more power than their own Q mode, but that they are working hard to get more power during the Q.
The Power of Dreams!

djones

Presumably what he means though is the increase between modes is more on the Honda, not that the Honda produces more power?

ivanlesk

Wouter wrote:
09 May 2018, 20:12
ivanlesk wrote:
09 May 2018, 16:30
Wouter wrote:

Link?
@Ivanlesk, I heard Abiteboul in front of the camera on TV during the second or third race weekend this year saying
that the Q mode of Honda delivers more power than their own Q mode, but that they are working hard to get more power during the Q.
Still, would like to hear it myself...

McMika98

ivanlesk wrote:
11 May 2018, 05:20
Still, would like to hear it myself...
Hopefully one of the so called journos will do their job and ask that question today in the press conference. Someone did ask the question to Hartley who avoided it. I do think they all will avoid the answer.

McMika98

So we now know that Ferrari in quali has more power than Mercedes by inhaling more oil but in race us behind. Honda as usual will not state their position but isnt too far behind.

mzso

So. Will Hartley have an identical new engine tomorrow, or will it be an updated variant?
I expect Honda didn't finalize whatever they're planning for Canada, but will he get a more powerful engine? Were there any reports?

Big Tea

mzso wrote:
12 May 2018, 19:12
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwaDezlZFh4

So. Will Hartley have an identical new engine tomorrow, or will it be an updated variant?
I expect Honda didn't finalize whatever they're planning for Canada, but will he get a more powerful engine? Were there any reports?
I would have thought it would be prudent to have the latest 'proven' version standing by, as it is far from unusual to need a change. Honda are past masters of the game ( :D )
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

G'dayBruce

Been wondering that myself. If he gets the soon to be old spec, then he's going to struggle even more in upcoming races if the Canada update proves to be a good one. That being said, he'd probably be more concerned about whether he'll even have a drive come Montreal...

godlameroso

How much of the combustion depends on ROS(reactive oxygen species)? Most of the fuel is hydro carbons, and air is typically inert, so heat and spark are used to create ROS in order to break the bonds in the fuel correct? Which means ultimately like in so many other reactive processes it starts with superoxide free radicals at the spark gap?
Saishū kōnā

anthonyfa18

so after a hard Spanish Grand Prix for toro ross honda, now we move to the 2 day test, will honda be testing its next upgrade power unit ???