Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
dren

Re: Honda Power Unit

That's assuming they were running the full 160hp at the MGUK in the first place.

All the PU manufacturers are able to implement brand new engines at the start of 2015. The unfreeze is just to allow the manufacturers to add updates through the year.
Honda!

xpensive
xpensive

dren wrote:That's assuming they were running the full 160hp at the MGUK in the first place.

All the PU manufacturers are able to implement brand new engines at the start of 2015. The unfreeze is just to allow the manufacturers to add updates through the year.
Not xactly, there is a certain percentage of the engine, shrinking by year I believe, that is allowed to be changed.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Thunder

xpensive wrote: Not xactly, there is a certain percentage of the engine, shrinking by year I believe, that is allowed to be changed.
With the Token System 48% of the 2014 PU can be changed for 2015.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

xpensive
xpensive

Thunders wrote:
xpensive wrote: Not xactly, there is a certain percentage of the engine, shrinking by year I believe, that is allowed to be changed.
With the Token System 48% of the 2014 PU can be changed for 2015.
Oh boy, will there be discussions of which 48 percent of what, mama.

Sasha
Sasha

Honda is a little behind on their PU because they had to go in a new direction after seeing the Mercedes PU.Their original design was like the Renault/Ferrari design.Honda's new design is focusing on being more compact,lighter with bigger turbo.
Everybody was shocked when they saw the Mercedes PU for the first time!They went totally the different route than the others(very compact and total power over no turbo lag,the extra electric power solved the turbo lag problem).

xpensive
xpensive

Sasha wrote:Honda is a little behind on their PU because they had to go in a new direction after seeing the Mercedes PU.Their original design was like the Renault/Ferrari design.Honda's new design is focusing on being more compact,lighter with bigger turbo.
Everybody was shocked when they saw the Mercedes PU for the first time!They went totally the different route than the others(very compact and total power over no turbo lag,the extra electric power solved the turbo lag problem).
And aren't you the smart one, depending on how much you know about the first house, the second house you build is always better.
Last edited by xpensive on 17 Oct 2014, 17:24, edited 1 time in total.

Thunder

xpensive wrote:
Thunders wrote:
xpensive wrote:
Oh boy, will there be discussions of which 48 percent of what, mama.
It's pretty straighforward, every Part you change costs a specific ammount of Tokens, the Engine Manufacturers only have a set ammount of Tokens they can spend. The Ammount of Tokens they can spend gets smaller every Year. There was a List somewhere that showed it.
#aerogollum

Holm86

Thunders wrote:
It's pretty straighforward, every Part you change costs a specific ammount of Tokens, the Engine Manufacturers only have a set ammount of Tokens they can spend. The Ammount of Tokens they can spend gets smaller every Year. There was a List somewhere that showed it.
http://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/ ... -06-29.pdf
Look at page 88.

Thunder

Thanks Holm for linking.
#aerogollum

gruntguru
gruntguru

xpensive wrote:So with the ERS limited to 160 Hp, the 10% increase of the PU must come from the ICE, right?

This means the ICE going from typically 600 Hp to 680, yeah right, how would that happen?
Not necessarily. For example if the current PU sees 600 from ICE crank, 80 from MGUH the max continuous output is 680. For short term only the MGUK can borrow from the ES to make 600 + 160 = 760. If MB can improve the continuous output by 68 (10%) to 748, it could consist of 638 crank and 110 MGUH. The extra from the MGUH is still very useful in race conditions.
je suis charlie

xpensive
xpensive

Didn't xactly get the logic of the above, but fact of the matter is that the max output of the PU is the ICE plus the MGU-K,
regardless how you slice or dice it. The MGU-K is limited to 160 Hp and the ICE fuel flow is limited, why any increase in
maximum horsepower must at the end of the day come from an increase in efficiency in the ICE.

trinidefender
trinidefender

xpensive wrote:Didn't xactly get the logic of the above, but fact of the matter is that the max output of the PU is the ICE plus the MGU-K,
regardless how you slice or dice it. The MGU-K is limited to 160 Hp and the ICE fuel flow is limited, why any increase in
maximum horsepower must at the end of the day come from an increase in efficiency in the ICE.
That 160 hp that the ERS-k can produce that you are referring to can only be used for ~33 seconds per lap. This is because the rules regulate the amount of energy that can go from the energy store (battery) to the ERS-K. However there is no limit on how much energy can be sent directly from the ERS-H to the ERS-K. Therefore if you can have an ICE that can produce the same hp as the competitors yet provide more electrical energy from the ERS-H then you can send all the extra energy straight to the ERS-K. To all intents and purposes you have more power over the whole lap instead of only part of the lap.

xpensive
xpensive

Oh, I had no idea... :o

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

trinidefender wrote:
xpensive wrote:Didn't xactly get the logic of the above, but fact of the matter is that the max output of the PU is the ICE plus the MGU-K,
That 160 hp that the ERS-k can produce that you are referring to can only be used for ~33 seconds per lap. This is because the rules regulate the amount of energy that can go from the energy store (battery) to the ERS-K. However there is no limit on how much energy can be sent directly from the ERS-H to the ERS-K. Therefore if you can have an ICE that can produce the same hp as the competitors yet provide more electrical energy from the ERS-H then you can send all the extra energy straight to the ERS-K. To all intents and purposes you have more power over the whole lap instead of only part of the lap.
Thanks for the cogent post, T..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

gruntguru
gruntguru

If you look at the list, most are items that probably don't need modification to catch up to Mercedes.
je suis charlie