Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
User avatar
Wouter
384
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:02 pm

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

Viruzpunk wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:01 pm
What Wouter said about spec 5 ( said in october) would be the spec 1 from 2020 and what Godlameroso said on the big focus on the turbo, would be the spec 1.1 who could maybe progress to an 1.5 by Melbourne? Right?
I said that the spec 5, which was already ready at the end of October but was not used, was developed further during the winter and is therefore a spec 5.XX at the moment. This is now called the spec 1 of 2020.
The spec 5.0 was already a strong improvement over the spec 4, and the spec 1 from 2020 (spec 5.XX) is therefore another improvement.
This can therefore never be a small improvement compared to the end of last year, when they were driving the spec 4.

Viruzpunk
Viruzpunk
2
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:02 pm

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

Wouter wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:58 am

I said that the spec 5, which was already ready at the end of October but was not used, was developed further during the winter and is therefore a spec 5.XX at the moment. This is now called the spec 1 of 2020.
The spec 5.0 was already a strong improvement over the spec 4, and the spec 1 from 2020 (spec 5.XX) is therefore another improvement.
This can therefore never be a small improvement compared to the end of last year, when they were driving the spec 4.
Exactly. That's what I understood and wanted confirmation. Ty.

seense
seense
15
Joined: Thu May 09, 2019 10:36 am

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post



Too bad there are no subtitles.

User avatar
Wouter
384
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:02 pm

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

seense wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:08 am


Too bad there are no subtitles.
Thank you for this video @seense!

You have to activate subtitles and than you can choose your own language.

f1jcw
f1jcw
11
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:15 pm

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

No, we presume spec 5 was a improvement over 4. Until it’s driven do we know, it could be a grenade.

Alexf1
Alexf1
20
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:52 pm

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

Wouter wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:58 am
Viruzpunk wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:01 pm
What Wouter said about spec 5 ( said in october) would be the spec 1 from 2020 and what Godlameroso said on the big focus on the turbo, would be the spec 1.1 who could maybe progress to an 1.5 by Melbourne? Right?
I said that the spec 5, which was already ready at the end of October but was not used, was developed further during the winter and is therefore a spec 5.XX at the moment. This is now called the spec 1 of 2020.
The spec 5.0 was already a strong improvement over the spec 4, and the spec 1 from 2020 (spec 5.XX) is therefore another improvement.
This can therefore never be a small improvement compared to the end of last year, when they were driving the spec 4.
Come to think about it: maybe the big gain of spec5 / spec1 could also mean better laptime due to longer electrical power and/or more efficient mgu-h power instead of higher peak power

User avatar
Wouter
384
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:02 pm

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

Alexf1 wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:20 am
Wouter wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:58 am
Viruzpunk wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:01 pm
What Wouter said about spec 5 ( said in october) would be the spec 1 from 2020 and what Godlameroso said on the big focus on the turbo, would be the spec 1.1 who could maybe progress to an 1.5 by Melbourne? Right?
I said that the spec 5, which was already ready at the end of October but was not used, was developed further during the winter and is therefore a spec 5.XX at the moment. This is now called the spec 1 of 2020.
The spec 5.0 was already a strong improvement over the spec 4, and the spec 1 from 2020 (spec 5.XX) is therefore another improvement.
This can therefore never be a small improvement compared to the end of last year, when they were driving the spec 4.
Come to think about it: maybe the big gain of spec5 / spec1 could also mean better laptime due to longer electrical power and/or more efficient mgu-h power instead of higher peak power
I think it's a combination of all three, especially longer electrical power, which means better laptime.
A little more peak power is also very important for qualification.

Viruzpunk
Viruzpunk
2
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:02 pm

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

I agree too. And would add the improve on driveability.. I mean if on the Verstappen onboard radios we can hear less " i m lagging"," loosing power" it would add a big step forward by itself :)

User avatar
Wouter
384
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:02 pm

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

Viruzpunk wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:23 pm
I agree too. And would add the improve on driveability.. I mean if on the Verstappen onboard radios we can hear less " i m lagging"," loosing power" it would add a big step forward by itself :)
That was because the gearbox could not be adjusted to the improved performance during the year.
That is only allowed once a year. That has now been corrected.

User avatar
ME4ME
173
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:37 pm

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

Wouter wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:04 pm
Viruzpunk wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:23 pm
I agree too. And would add the improve on driveability.. I mean if on the Verstappen onboard radios we can hear less " i m lagging"," loosing power" it would add a big step forward by itself :)
That was because the gearbox could not be adjusted to the improved performance during the year.
That is only allowed once a year. That has now been corrected.
It's easy to shift blame to the gearbox but what actual technical explanation, logic or generally sound explanation is there to back this up? The driver making the above said complains are mainly about a temporary state or issue on the car. While there could to some extent be some protection of the gearbox going on, this would be throughout a session or a race. Not suddenly. Issues on Honda's side, mainly to do with energy management MGU-H and -K are much more likely.

Viruzpunk
Viruzpunk
2
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:02 pm

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

My comment on onboard radios was more to make a little joke. The reasons to explain the problem are probably mixed and it s totally logical since it was a transition year. There's no surprise if settings wasn't perfectly adjusted even more when you consider expectations about Honda were more than totally satisfied.

My " bad little joke" wasn't here to re open any RB/Renault/Honda drama. Plz forget it so :wink: . ty.

GhostF1
GhostF1
197
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:11 am

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

ME4ME wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:42 pm
Wouter wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:04 pm
Viruzpunk wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:23 pm
I agree too. And would add the improve on driveability.. I mean if on the Verstappen onboard radios we can hear less " i m lagging"," loosing power" it would add a big step forward by itself :)
That was because the gearbox could not be adjusted to the improved performance during the year.
That is only allowed once a year. That has now been corrected.
It's easy to shift blame to the gearbox but what actual technical explanation, logic or generally sound explanation is there to back this up? The driver making the above said complains are mainly about a temporary state or issue on the car. While there could to some extent be some protection of the gearbox going on, this would be throughout a session or a race. Not suddenly. Issues on Honda's side, mainly to do with energy management MGU-H and -K are much more likely.
Agreed. I don't think the gearbox was to blame at all, and more to do with Honda's MGU-H/Turbo management. They usually can fix the lag on the fly with software adjustments. In the case of Abu Dhabi, Honda apologised and said they lost sync with the ECU and could not make the absolute adjustments necessary and had to rely on Max changing broader PU settings to compensate.

I still think it has something to do with decoupling the MGU-H from the turbo and then recoupling on the fly (which I believe they do). Mis-timing those intervals would create a lag event, not having the electric motor drive the turbo at the exact moment required.

GhostF1
GhostF1
197
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:11 am

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

Wouter wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:45 am
seense wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:08 am


Too bad there are no subtitles.
Thank you for this video @seense!

You have to activate subtitles and than you can choose your own language.
How, there are only Japanese captions available lol

User avatar
langedweil
9
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:51 pm
Location: Bonaire

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

Wouter wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:04 pm
That was because the gearbox could not be adjusted to the improved performance during the year.
That is only allowed once a year. That has now been corrected.
Somehow (and totally unfunded) I felt RB had been a little conservative with (or maybe even misinterpreted) the gearbox ratio's before the start of 2019, and were actually surprised by what was possible with the PU and developped mappings.
As said, based on totally nothing more than a hunch really ..
Sunshine is just a choice ...

User avatar
jumpingfish
39
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:19 pm
Location: Ru

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

GhostF1 wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:50 am
Wouter wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:45 am
seense wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:08 am


Too bad there are no subtitles.
Thank you for this video @seense!

You have to activate subtitles and than you can choose your own language.
How, there are only Japanese captions available lol
When you turn on Japanese subtitles, there will be available Translate button under Japanese :)