Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
IvailoStefanovBG

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

seense wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 09:11
IvailoStefanovBG wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 09:04
GhostF1 wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 05:41
I stand corrected, ....
I`m sorry for my stupid question, but how do you understand when they start clipping from onboard camera?
Because he read this article ;) :

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... 0dAn3.html
I also read it, it sounds logical, but don`t buy it 100%.........but if we can compare deployment of Mercs and RB-Honda we will have some evidence....

fellowhoodlums
fellowhoodlums

ERS deficit as nicely explained in that article.

Unique to short tracks it seems. Issue not the actual deployment but the length of time it takes ERS to recharge the batteries. Therefore on short tracks, RBR have less charge to deploy each lap compared to the more efficient Merc.

Not sure about the MGU-K but isn’t the MGU-H always been a weakness with Honda? I recall many discussions about it over last couple of seasons.

Also, am I right in saying MGU-H is one part that can be developed this season by 1 iteration?

seense
seense

fellowhoodlums wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 09:21
Unique to short tracks it seems. Issue not the actual deployment but the length of time it takes ERS to recharge the batteries. Therefore on short tracks, RBR have less charge to deploy each lap compared to the more efficient Merc.
Not only about short tracks. It's also the amount of breaking and amount of full throttle. Monaco or hungary wouldnt be an issue.

Jaisonas
Jaisonas

IvailoStefanovBG wrote:
GhostF1 wrote:
I stand corrected, ....
I`m sorry for my stupid question, but how do you understand when they start clipping from onboard camera?
You can tell when the revs just hang and stop climbing, this is very apparent on the end of the straights.

GhostF1
GhostF1

seense wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 09:11
IvailoStefanovBG wrote:
GhostF1 wrote:
I stand corrected, ....
Because he read this article ;) :

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... 0dAn3.html
Actually I didn't read this! But now I have, but to be honest I didn't notice speed differentials of that magnitude from the article while watching onboards. I'll blame display data being a bit iffy then.

As for clipping. You can tell when they stop building speed and the engine sounds like it's hit a wall, no RPM rise. Merc consistently did this later and at a higher speed. So logic suggests Merc are clipping less.

Mansell89
Mansell89

Guys did we get any absolute clarity on whether Honda were affected in any way by the “Ferrari-gate” engine crackdown during the off season? (ie did Honda have any of those tricks that have been banned helping its renaissance these last couple of years?)

Jaisonas
Jaisonas

Mansell89 wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 09:49
Guys did we get any absolute clarity on whether Honda were affected in any way by the “Ferrari-gate” engine crackdown during the off season? (ie did Honda have any of those tricks that have been banned helping its renaissance these last couple of years?)
Wasnt it Redbull and Honda that specifically asked what to be checked and regulated? I dont think they would shoot themselves like that.

etusch

Mansell89 wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 09:49
and if they do it why with lesser power?

IvailoStefanovBG

I think RBR deficite from lower speed on staights in Austria was estimated at about 3 tenhts right? On such a short track. Last year I think we all agree Honda was less efficient but at the end of the season difference from less powerful PU was no more than e tenth...So unless it`s track specific for instance at Spa where we have long straghts and ERS efficiency matters alot we should see difference above 7 tenths or so...And these gains are made only for a winter and after so many years of development of the same technology...May be it`s time to remember Wolff`s words adressed to Ferrari`s last year gains and open a thread called "Legality of Mercedes AMG 2020 engine"....

epo
epo

IvailoStefanovBG wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 12:50
I think RBR deficite from lower speed on staights in Austria was estimated at about 3 tenhts right? On such a short track. Last year I think we all agree Honda was less efficient but at the end of the season difference from less powerful PU was no more than e tenth...So unless it`s track specific for instance at Spa where we have long straghts and ERS efficiency matters alot we should see difference above 7 tenths or so...And these gains are made only for a winter and after so many years of development of the same technology...May be it`s time to remember Wolff`s words adressed to Ferrari`s last year gains and open a thread called "Legality of Mercedes AMG 2020 engine"....
Not really, this was their biggest step since the introduction of that engine. Toto also announced that they would have significant more power this year when Ferrari seemed to gained so much last year. And again this seems more of an ERS thing, they were always by far the best in this.

IvailoStefanovBG

They were the best at oil burning also as far as I remember....ERS is related to ICE efficiency. As far as 100kg/h is stiil the maximum allowed quantity of fuel big ERS gains are always suspicious. Wolff can talk whatever he wants...

Revs84
Revs84

According to this article on Motorsport.com Italy, Honda are down 20 hp from Mercedes and Renault 35 hp. They don't mention Ferrari.

How true is it? I don't know, but it's always fun to speculate on such numbers :)

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-me ... n=widget-1

Pyrone89

fellowhoodlums wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 09:21
ERS deficit as nicely explained in that article.

Not sure about the MGU-K but isn’t the MGU-H always been a weakness with Honda? I recall many discussions about it over last couple of seasons.

Also, am I right in saying MGU-H is one part that can be developed this season by 1 iteration?
H is homologated, K can be changed once but is then stuck until end of 2021.
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

Bill
Bill

Honda is not optimized for high altitude I am kin to see both Rbr Honda will perform in Hungary

GhostF1
GhostF1

Let's see how Hungaroring looks in regards to the power unit. Honda said they are focusing more on standard altitude performance. The only reason I can think of for them to specifically mention "low altitude performance" is because of an incoming tradeoff to high altitude performance (something Honda has been class of the field at). Could explain their harvesting disadvantages over last year if there turbo/ERS system is now a little compromised at high elevation tracks?