Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Zynerji

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

kfrantzios wrote:
14 Mar 2021, 22:02
Zynerji wrote:
13 Mar 2021, 20:24
godlameroso wrote:
13 Mar 2021, 19:50
Inconsistent ERS operation, and snappy off throttle?
off-throttle shift problem sounds like low hydraulic line pressure from the pump as the revs drop...
Could that be software related?
Sure, if the valves are ECU controlled.

kfrantzios
kfrantzios

dren

Wouter wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 13:14
Where exactly did the changes take place with the renewed power source?
" It seems as if enormous steps have been taken in the configuration of the combustion chamber that will benefit thermodynamic efficiency," says Paolo Filisetti, who works for the pink sports newspaper. Honda hopes to make great progress on efficiency in the combustion process compared to last year.

Electric problem solved

"In addition, the electrical component of the engine has been extremely revised", the story continues. What is meant by 'extremely revised' is not clear from the text. It was already known that Honda had some problems with the distribution of electrical power from the power source. This power was released unevenly during the race, a problem that Max Verstappen regularly heard about in 2020.

I've read they are using quite a bit larger pre-chamber compared to the field. Not sure if true or not.
Honda!

hurril
hurril

dren wrote:
15 Mar 2021, 15:29
Wouter wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 13:14
Where exactly did the changes take place with the renewed power source?
" It seems as if enormous steps have been taken in the configuration of the combustion chamber that will benefit thermodynamic efficiency," says Paolo Filisetti, who works for the pink sports newspaper. Honda hopes to make great progress on efficiency in the combustion process compared to last year.

Electric problem solved

"In addition, the electrical component of the engine has been extremely revised", the story continues. What is meant by 'extremely revised' is not clear from the text. It was already known that Honda had some problems with the distribution of electrical power from the power source. This power was released unevenly during the race, a problem that Max Verstappen regularly heard about in 2020.

I've read they are using quite a bit larger pre-chamber compared to the field. Not sure if true or not.
Where did you read that? Please share :)

Sieper

Mercedes now has a (very) big chamber of air that has been compressed by the turbo but has not entered the combustion chamber yet. That is what necessitate the bulge in the body work. What would be the benefit of doing that? Is Honda doing that as well (but possibly in an elongated less wide chamber? Or is this something totally new?

I do see that Merc (when watching the different older engines pictures that have been released by now) is always the first team to prioritize room for air flow in and out of the engine. Honda usually follows the next year with a similar change.

hkbruin
hkbruin

Why does this picture remind me of this?

2021 RB16b = The Terminator 8)

godlameroso

Sieper wrote:
15 Mar 2021, 17:17
Mercedes now has a (very) big chamber of air that has been compressed by the turbo but has not entered the combustion chamber yet. That is what necessitate the bulge in the body work. What would be the benefit of doing that? Is Honda doing that as well (but possibly in an elongated less wide chamber? Or is this something totally new?

I do see that Merc (when watching the different older engines pictures that have been released by now) is always the first team to prioritize room for air flow in and out of the engine. Honda usually follows the next year with a similar change.
Think of an electrical capacitor, or an air tank for pneumatic tools. The capacitor is like a small tank that can create rapid discharge. The turbo keeps the capacitor filled at a target pressure, then it bleeds down into the plenum of the engine.
Saishū kōnā

Bandit1216

godlameroso wrote:
15 Mar 2021, 21:52
Sieper wrote:

Think of an electrical capacitor, or an air tank for pneumatic tools. The capacitor is like a small tank that can create rapid discharge. The turbo keeps the capacitor filled at a target pressure, then it bleeds down into the plenum of the engine.
What would the benifit be? A sort of plenum to a plenum? Wouln’d one just get pump losses twice?

What do you think about the noise now we proper heared the new honda? It sounds very electrical to me. Very turbo e-compound-ish.
But just suppose it weren't hypothetical.

Zynerji

If manifold vacuum was high before, increasing plenum size will remedy that.

godlameroso

Bandit1216 wrote:
15 Mar 2021, 22:22
godlameroso wrote:
Sieper wrote:

What would the benifit be? A sort of plenum to a plenum? Wouln’d one just get pump losses twice?

What do you think about the noise now we proper heared the new honda? It sounds very electrical to me. Very turbo e-compound-ish.
It would increase pumping losses because the compressor would have to work harder to maintain chamber pressure, however the benefit would be that you could deliver boost pressure to the engine off boost. You could then use that excess boost and harvest it via MGU-H. Another benefit would be lowering the pressure and by extension, temperature of the air charge as it bleeds down into the main plenum. This would increase the efficiency of the intercooler.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

hkbruin wrote:
15 Mar 2021, 19:37
https://i.imgur.com/etC5OEy.jpg

https://www.denofgeek.com/wp-content/up ... =768%2C432

You keep peeling off body work and it keeps saying Honda.
Saishū kōnā

etusch

hkbruin wrote:
15 Mar 2021, 19:37
https://i.imgur.com/etC5OEy.jpg

https://www.denofgeek.com/wp-content/up ... =768%2C432

He is back as he had said.

Rushu

Translated with DeepL

This season's Honda power unit, in its final year of activity, is "completely new"! Asaki's bold confession in an online interview
Yasuaki Asaki, the director of Honda R&D Sakura, who is in charge of Honda's F1 power unit development, held an online press conference on April 16 and revealed that the power unit for this season is a virtually new design with a completely improved engine framework.

If you ask someone who knows engines, they might think, 'That's a completely new engine,' but you'd be right. Specifically, he said, "The layout of the camshaft (which drives the intake and exhaust valves) has been greatly downsized and lowered closer to the ground. This will change the valve pinching angle and everything else. The objective is to change the shape of the combustion chamber significantly," he explained without concealment.

As a result, "the center of gravity is lowered and the freedom of air flow over the camshaft is increased," he said, adding, "We call it bore pitch, the distance between cylinders. There are three cylinders in each shoulder bank, but we have reduced the distance between each one, which also makes the engine more compact.

Honda is set to end its F1 activities at the end of this season, but they have decided to introduce the new framework engine after directly asking President Takahiro Hachigo to change to it.

On the final day of the F1 joint test held in Bahrain on the 14th, Max Verstappen (Netherlands) of Red Bull, which is affiliated with Honda, set the top time. The 20-year-old Hiroki Tsunoda, who is making his F1 debut with Alpha Tauri, also fought hard to be second fastest. It was a great day for the team and a great challenge for the champion Mercedes.

Honda F1's new PU is almost new! New framework for a lower center of gravity and more compact size
Honda held a season preview online ahead of the start of the 2021 F1 season, and Yasuaki Asaki, head of the HRD Sakura center and Large Project Leader of the F1 project, revealed that the new framework PU to be introduced is almost new.

Honda is ending its F1 activities after the 2021 season. In order to increase the power output, which has been hitting a plateau, it has been reported that Honda will be using a new PU with a new framework, the development of which was once frozen due to the Corona disaster.

In the fall, when we decided to withdraw from F1, we asked President Takahiro Hachigo to approve our new frame so that we could start the year with the new PU.

That's what LPL Asaki told us.

I'm sure people will ask me what a new skeleton is, and I'm sure I'll find out when the photos are analyzed, so I'll just tell you what's inside.

First of all, the camshaft layout has been greatly downsized and lowered. This will change the valve angle and the shape of the combustion chamber. That's the goal, but at the same time, it's very compact and lowers the center of gravity.

The design of the air flow over the camshaft is also more flexible. We also reduced the bore pitch (distance between cylinders), which also contributes to the compactness.

"If you ask people who know about engines, they'll think, 'Isn't this a whole new thing?' And they're right.

We built the new skeleton because we wanted to increase the power at any cost, but we believe it was also an effective way for Red Bull to downsize.

The PU in modern F1 is a very complex system that uses the energy from the exhaust gas to generate electricity, so it is not enough to just aim at increasing the efficiency and power of the engine (internal combustion engine). The new PU framework will be useful in this respect as well.

The law of conservation of energy says that if you increase the horsepower of the crank, the energy of the exhaust will decrease. That's what we're trying to address with the new framework, so we can increase both.

We'll have to wait and see what other companies can do. The tests are over, but I'm sure they will be hiding their abilities as usual. So, I have both expectations and concerns about what will happen when the qualifying for the opening race is over, but I feel very confident that we have done all we can.

However, during the three days of testing in Bahrain, the Red Bull and Alfettauri cars running Honda PUs completed a total of 791 laps, or 4281km. However, during the three days of testing in Bahrain, the Red Bull and Alpha Tauri cars, both equipped with Honda PUs, completed a total of 791 laps, or 4281 km.

The opening round of the season, the Bahrain GP, will be held from March 26-28. The Bahrain GP will be held from March 26 to 28, and the true value of Honda's new PU will be seen there.

Crynes
Crynes

yasuaki.asaki HRD Sakura
I'm sure people will ask me what the new skeleton looks like, and I'm sure I'll find out when the photos are analyzed, so I'll tell you what's inside!
First of all, the camshaft layout has been greatly downsized and lowered. This will change the valve angle and the shape of the combustion chamber. This is the purpose, but at the same time, it is very compact and lowers the center of gravity.
The design freedom of the air flow over the camshaft is also increased. The bore pitch (distance between cylinders) is also reduced, which also contributes to the compactness.
By the law of conservation of energy, if you normally increase the horsepower of the crank, the energy of the exhaust will decrease. That's what we're trying to do with the new framework, to increase both.
https://jp.motorsport.com/f1/news/Honda ... t/5750749/
:Translation Deepl.com

Bandit1216

godlameroso wrote:
15 Mar 2021, 23:21
Bandit1216 wrote:
15 Mar 2021, 22:22
godlameroso wrote:

It would increase pumping losses because the compressor would have to work harder to maintain chamber pressure, however the benefit would be that you could deliver boost pressure to the engine off boost. You could then use that excess boost and harvest it via MGU-H. Another benefit would be lowering the pressure and by extension, temperature of the air charge as it bleeds down into the main plenum. This would increase the efficiency of the intercooler.
Oké. Less work for the H as turbo spin up device. But using buffered boost to power the h. Isn't that an perpentium mobile? I mean, why would you want to do that. Storing energy in something else than the battery because that is already full?
But just suppose it weren't hypothetical.