Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
restless
restless

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Bandit1216 wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 12:08
But using buffered boost to power the h. Isn't that an perpentium mobile? I mean, why would you want to do that. Storing energy in something else than the battery because that is already full?
Maybe if one has excess of energy to recover, more than allowed to store in battery?!

dren

restless wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 12:38
Bandit1216 wrote:
But using buffered boost to power the h. Isn't that an perpentium mobile? I mean, why would you want to do that. Storing energy in something else than the battery because that is already full?
Maybe if one has excess of energy to recover, more than allowed to store in battery?!
If you're going to try to 'accumulate fuel", I think it would be more beneficial to do it electrically, similar to how Honda did it with their extra harvest idea. I have no clue if they still do that or not? I think you'd want to get away from doing that if possible. From the previously translated articles, this new PU design is aiming to increase ICE power and harvesting.

If Mercedes has some sort of air chamber prior to the intake, I'd guess it has more to do with pressure waves and not the actual mass flow of the air. So, for cylinder scavenging and or off throttle benefit at the turbine.
Honda!

Bandit1216

dren wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 13:27
restless wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 12:38
Bandit1216 wrote:
If you're going to try to 'accumulate fuel", I think it would be more beneficial to do it electrically, similar to how Honda did it with their extra harvest idea. I have no clue if they still do that or not? I think you'd want to get away from doing that if possible. From the previously translated articles, this new PU design is aiming to increase ICE power and harvesting.

If Mercedes has some sort of air chamber prior to the intake, I'd guess it has more to do with pressure waves and not the actual mass flow of the air. So, for cylinder scavenging and or off throttle benefit at the turbine.
Interesting. Yes, they all strive to have some way to max scavenging at all loads and boost levels I recon.

Would it be allowed to use more then 1 butterfly valve per cylinder or some sort of one way valve per cylinder or bank? One could try to use the engine as an compressor to harvest under breaking additional to the mgu-K. More or less connecting a dump valve to your turbine so to say. Pttsssssssss.

Fuel is another topic if you ask me. Fuel is added after the inlet valve. You mean to accumulate boosted air?
But just suppose it weren't hypothetical.

dren

Bandit1216 wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 13:51
Fuel is another topic if you ask me. Fuel is added after the inlet valve. You mean to accumulate boosted air?
When I say 'fuel accumulation' I mean they are burning the fuel and storing the energy electrically for future use, so it is sort of like fuel accumulation in a sense. Honda did/does this with their extra harvest idea. Discussion on it further back: viewtopic.php?t=18874&start=13455
Honda!

Bandit1216

dren wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 14:30
Bandit1216 wrote:
When I say 'fuel accumulation' I mean they are burning the fuel and storing the energy electrically for future use, so it is sort of like fuel accumulation in a sense. Honda did/does this with their extra harvest idea. Discussion on it further back: viewtopic.php?t=18874&start=13455
Ahh, oké.

So in theory such workaround might be less efficient, but nevertheless beneficial because of the mguh charging loophole.
But just suppose it weren't hypothetical.

Snorked
Snorked

Auto Sport got some different shots of the 2019 PU, here's the only high quality shot from Amazon.co.jp preview

ImageImage

godlameroso

Snorked wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 16:21
Auto Sport got some different shots of the 2019 PU, here's the only high quality shot from Amazon.co.jp preview

https://abload.de/img/hondara619hsljrx.jpg

https://abload.de/img/30bgjom.jpg https://abload.de/img/312njud.jpg
Single entry twin scroll turbine.
Saishū kōnā

etusch

Snorked wrote:

I think this is real ART.

Snorked
Snorked

Singabule
Singabule

godlameroso wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 16:36
Snorked wrote:

https://abload.de/img/30bgjom.jpg https://abload.de/img/312njud.jpg
Single entry twin scroll turbine.
The twin entry is less bulky, any idea why they drop it? Related to single wategate issue or better in volumetric?

ispano6

Crynes wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 09:57
https://jp.motorsport.com/f1/news/Honda ... t/5750749/
:Translation Deepl.com
The translation is close, but also has several incorrect sections. It seems the technical portions are mainly translated correctly, but there are also parts in which Asaki is trying to convey that there are areas in which they are trying things that go against conventional wisdom.

ispano6

RA619H Austria winner. The main difference with the RA618H was the size of the turbo, which is made apparent in this reveal.

PlatinumZealot

dren wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 14:30
Bandit1216 wrote:
They are bunch of opportunities to do it through regular means which are more efficient. Than dumping fuel. This was discussed at length.

Best to do what you say is to take this energy during inefficient phases of engine operation where exhaust heat is in excess. Example braking and rev matching hard acceleration, traction "control"

Fuel is too valuable to dump. We have seen so many races last year when Max was unable to attack because he was fuel saving.

The other reason is MGUH is unlimited battery is not. So if you fill your battery up you want to use it only when you really need it. So you will save that at the latter parts of the lap to dwfwnd on the straight. If you were using it and emptying in in the turns before that point you would have gone past the regulated amount of energy.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

trinidefender
trinidefender

I think people are mistaken. It still looks like a twin entry to me but with a tube between the two exhausts. Why they did this I'm not sure. Maybe some kind of pulse tuning?

You can see the same setup if you zoom into the middle picture on the bottom row of the 6 pictures. There are clearly still two turbine entries with a tube joining the left and right exhaust banks.

etusch

PlatinumZealot wrote:
19 Mar 2021, 01:48

The other reason is MGUH is unlimited battery is not. So if you fill your battery up you want to use it only when you really need it. So you will save that at the latter parts of the lap to dwfwnd on the straight. If you were using it and emptying in in the turns before that point you would have gone past the regulated amount of energy.
I think ideal energy strategy of battery power is to use it every lap as much as you you can regain without sacrificing anything. Not using it is also unefficient.