Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
toraabe

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

epo wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 12:14
toraabe wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 12:02
epo wrote:
27 Mar 2021, 19:11

Because they can with AT push it and see what it can do which benefits RB.
Impossible. All teams using the respective engine has to run the same program
Have it, but not actually using it?
All four engine manufacturers has to declare their mapping prior to qualifying. It wil also be checked after race and so on

subcritical71

cheeRS wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 06:46
Snorked wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 01:30
Great job by Honda, from having their ERS nullified to being on top?👏

Mercedes apparently have had issues with their hybrid system since last year - did they get hit by the TD too? Maybe Mudflap has some info on this...

https://www.funoanalisitecnica.com/2021 ... rrari.html
So with the TD last year, did it ban the unlimited MGU-K->ES->MGU-H energy pathway altogether? Or was it more too it than that? I thought the point of that unlimited area was to encourage development of the MGU-H throughout the years...
I’m just digesting a research paper recently released on gear shift strategies. In the introduction it describes a flowpath opposite to what you describe (MGU-H to K). The paper had at least one contributor from Ferrari Power Unit and Control Strategies group. Interesting read so far.
To increase the powertrain’s efficiency, the FIA allows the installation of a second electric motor on the turbocharger shaft, referred to as MGU-H (H for heat). As a consequence, the turbine is oversized and in general produces more power than absorbed by the compressor, such that part of the energy contained in the hot exhaust gases can be recuperated by the MGU-H and fed to the battery or directly to the MGU-K.
This would seem to confirm the allowance of the unlimited flow path between the H and K (and H and ES) outside of the 4MJ per lap limit imposed between the K and ES. This could be used to either drive the K longer each lap, or replenish the ES more than the 2MJ allowed from the K to ES.

With Totos’ comments about the Honda not running out of energy as quick as the merc, it may be that some teams have this control strategy figured out more than others. It wouldn’t surprise me that Honda may be leading the way in this regard as they were shown to have the extra harvest mode since the beginning of their development.

henry

subcritical71 wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 14:41
cheeRS wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 06:46
Snorked wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 01:30
Great job by Honda, from having their ERS nullified to being on top?👏

Mercedes apparently have had issues with their hybrid system since last year - did they get hit by the TD too? Maybe Mudflap has some info on this...

https://www.funoanalisitecnica.com/2021 ... rrari.html
So with the TD last year, did it ban the unlimited MGU-K->ES->MGU-H energy pathway altogether? Or was it more too it than that? I thought the point of that unlimited area was to encourage development of the MGU-H throughout the years...
I’m just digesting a research paper recently released on gear shift strategies. In the introduction it describes a flowpath opposite to what you describe (MGU-H to K). The paper had at least one contributor from Ferrari Power Unit and Control Strategies group. Interesting read so far.
To increase the powertrain’s efficiency, the FIA allows the installation of a second electric motor on the turbocharger shaft, referred to as MGU-H (H for heat). As a consequence, the turbine is oversized and in general produces more power than absorbed by the compressor, such that part of the energy contained in the hot exhaust gases can be recuperated by the MGU-H and fed to the battery or directly to the MGU-K.
This would seem to confirm the allowance of the unlimited flow path between the H and K (and H and ES) outside of the 4MJ per lap limit imposed between the K and ES. This could be used to either drive the K longer each lap, or replenish the ES more than the 2MJ allowed from the K to ES.

With Totos’ comments about the Honda not running out of energy as quick as the merc, it may be that some teams have this control strategy figured out more than others. It wouldn’t surprise me that Honda may be leading the way in this regard as they were shown to have the extra harvest mode since the beginning of their development.
It may be as simple as the Honda H delivering more kW. Consider the ERS mode where the K is driven at 120kW by a combination of supplies from the H and the ES. The more coming from the H the less from the ES. If for two cars the ES energy for a lap is the same the one with the higher H output can run this mode longer.

In addition if the H is recovering more, then at part throttle they will be able to replenish the ES more and so the ES energy is higher and they can run the mode longer.

It also means that the self-sustain mode will be higher.

I think it’s possible that Honda have simply increased their ability to harvest from the H.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

velizare

Big Tea wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 12:21
velizare wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 08:36
ryaan2904 wrote:
27 Mar 2021, 19:33

What do you mean by gasly having to change the ec and battery? Is something the problem?
ye, they are done. konec, kaputt, finito. which will be problem on longer term, since there are only two parts allowed from those for the entire season. which is the better case. its very unusual to swap engine parts after 3 free practices.
There is a possibility to re use the components if they can be fixed within the regs
true, true.

toraabe

Fast. but unreliable. Already two cars has to change ers unit. I think Mercedes can run the engine harder than they currently do, but the thing has to last....

nevill3

It looks like Perez has had to change items too
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

PhillipM

I mean, their last year in the sport, why not throw everything at it and if it breaks, it breaks, I think both Honda and RB would be happy to have the fastest car but take a few hits when they need PU changes atm.

KAIZEN

Honda engine new camshaft position
Published on Japanese TV
Left and right are unknown. I leave it to your analysis.
Last edited by KAIZEN on 01 Apr 2021, 23:53, edited 1 time in total.

dren

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/honda ... s/6024857/

Honda is assessing running a more aggressive PU mode for future races.
Honda!

BrunoH

yes.... turn that up to 11 and lets go! who cares if they get a few DNF... just demoralize hamilton and mercedes

MtthsMlw

RA621H
via @NicolasF1i

PlatinumZealot

The inlet pipe protrudes even more this year. It was quite flat to the compressor in the past.

Cam driven fuel pump looks to be shifted more inboard as result of the wider cam spacing. Looks to be in intake cam now. Helps keeps a smaller bounding volume of the engine too.

Alonso will have learned that engine development is not easy. It takes years to mature. Look at this package now compared to where it was coming from with McLaren. It is hard for us to appreciate the skill, effort and investment..
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Crynes

Rocker cover
Left RA621H prototype Right RA620H

Left: RA620H Right: RA621H prototype

Source:
https://www.nhk-ondemand.jp/goods/G2021113012SA000/
Last edited by Crynes on 02 Apr 2021, 17:07, edited 1 time in total.

hurril

I f*ing love Honda and the way they're so incredibly generous!

godlameroso

KAIZEN wrote:
01 Apr 2021, 13:00
Honda engine new camshaft position
Published on Japanese TV
Left and right are unknown. I leave it to your analysis.
https://i.imgur.com/eUtQEk0.jpg
They are closer together which means the cams are opening the valves directly, a pneumatic demsodomic valve hybrid setup.

By narrowing the valve angle you make the pent roof flatter and can raise compression ratio. You also lower the requirement for valve reliefs on the piston crown.
Saishū kōnā