Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
ispano6

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

godlameroso wrote:
28 Apr 2021, 01:15
bigblue wrote:
27 Apr 2021, 22:05
Yeah, that was what it seemed to imply. But ... that doesn't sound likely, does it ? Or maybe it meant one of the other pictures further back in the thread was taken by Wazari. Not sure that was what was meant either. Or ... well, I just don't know exactly what was meant.

Anyway, Honda are on a roll ! Oh, yeah, they're also pulling out at the end of the year. So, I wonder how many, if any, technical development staff (as opposed to production, maintenance) will be seconded to Red Bull. Could be an interesting experience for some Japanese engineers to be thrown directly into Red Bull F1 culture.
Wazari's side hustle is "hand model"
Wazari said he was at Barcelona in last year's pre-season test, I don't believe Asaki was there

_cerber1

Didn't Wazari write about leaving Honda a few years ago?

Sasha

Wazari is with HRD.

He goes to almost every key race.

He stated this year it's finally his engine.

We get a story from Japan about a HRD lead going directly to Honda CEO to get OK .

I can do that and I will tell you Wazari can so that only leaves him only being three people in Honda Racing.
The overall Honda Motor Sports leader
Tanabe
Asaki

Wazari is a sports car guru and engine guru so that makes it easier and he was retiring but got recall to fix F1 PU.
That is the story of Asaki.
Could be wrong but a good martial arts master leaves few crumbs in his path.
Easy way to check is look up Asaki company history. When did he start with the company,did he work Honda F1 in the 80s or in the BAR era?
Wazari did
Worked on S2000?
Last edited by Sasha on 28 Apr 2021, 08:00, edited 1 time in total.

bigblue

With respect to the above two posts, I believe these are true, but I didn't bother to look up and correlate Wazari's remarks with trying to find out about Asaki's career ! It doesn't seem likely they match. Sasha's post is lost in translation (or a joke I don't understand).

Sasha

Sasha wrote:
28 Apr 2021, 07:51
Wazari is with HRD.

He goes to almost every key race.

He stated this year it's finally his engine.

We get a story from Japan about a HRD lead going directly to Honda CEO to get OK .

Wazari is most likely either of these people. Remember he speaks good english that is rare for Honda.
The overall Honda Motor Sports leader
Tanabe
Asaki

Wazari is a sports car guru and engine guru so that makes it easier and he was retiring but got recall to fix F1 PU.
That is the story of Asaki.
Could be wrong but a good martial arts master leaves few crumbs in his path.
Easy way to check is look up Asaki company history. When did he start with the company,did he work Honda F1 in the 80s or in the BAR era?
Wazari did
Worked on S2000?
Or he is Asaki right hand man but doudt it. The person who would share on here had no fear like he already can retire.

Wouter

Sasha wrote:
28 Apr 2021, 08:02
Wazari.
Or he is Asaki right hand man but doudt it. The person who would share on here had no fear like he already can retire.
Wazari is 100% sure not Yasuaki Asaki.
The Power of Dreams!

ispano6

Wouter wrote:
28 Apr 2021, 10:52
Sasha wrote:
28 Apr 2021, 08:02
Wazari.
Wazari is 100% sure not Yasuaki Asaki.
Correct.

Snorked

Remember when Asaki's Facebook account was posted here when it was announced he would take over from Hasegawa? It hadn't been updated for a long time, but hours after being linked it was updated.

Asaki is an F1technical lurker 🙋

ispano6

Snorked wrote:
28 Apr 2021, 16:09
Remember when Asaki's Facebook account was posted here when it was announced he would take over from Hasegawa? It hadn't been updated for a long time, but hours after being linked it was updated.

Asaki is an F1technical lurker 🙋
Tanabe was announced to take over Hasegawa. Asaki was not mentioned until an article that revealed him as the head of Honda's skunkworks.

Snorked

What? Asaki was clearly mentioned in the Honda press release that he was replacing Hasegawa in his role at Sakura, with Tanabe taking over race operations.

Zynerji

Whomever Wazari is, I'm happy to not dig too deeply and expose them, so we can keep learning from what they are willing to share on F1T!

bigblue

Zynerji wrote:
28 Apr 2021, 17:43
Whomever Wazari is, I'm happy to not dig too deeply and expose them, so we can keep learning from what they are willing to share on F1T!
Yup, I'm not interested in digging into this either. I'm looking forward to the third race. By the way, I take it that reliability updates are allowed this year ? Not sure what's going on with Honda's battery / control / MGU-x components at the moment, looks like a weakness in terms of reliability.

ispano6

Snorked wrote:
28 Apr 2021, 17:03
What? Asaki was clearly mentioned in the Honda press release that he was replacing Hasegawa in his role at Sakura, with Tanabe taking over race operations.
Hasegawa who? Yusuke Yasegawa? His role was split into two(actually three), between Tanabe and Yamamoto and Asaki.

Hasegawa wasn't an engineer actually working on the power unit development, though he might have been coined as "responsible" for it. He was a race engineer for Bar Honda (and subsequent R&D head later on before returning to F1). Asaki, an engine guy, was responsible for implementing Variable cylinder management for Honda's engines. Buy yeah, in the Japanese articles Tanabe and Yamamoto were mentioned before Asaki was. The Autosport/motorsport article came later I presume.
Squid wrote:
07 Dec 2017, 04:12
Honda F1 chief Hasegawa to leave role in overhaul

Yusuke Hasegawa will leave his role as head of Honda’s Formula 1 project at the end of his year as part of a management structure overhaul.

Hasegawa has faced growing pressure over the course of this season as Honda struggled with both power and reliability and culminated in it ending its relationship with McLaren after three seasons.

Ahead of the start of Honda’s new partnership with Toro Rosso, the Japanese manufacturer has announced changes to its organisational structure in a bid to turnaround its fortunes.

In his role as head of F1 project, Hasegawa was responsible for both engine development in Sakura as well as the race operation. That role has been removed with Honda splitting the responsibilities to create two new positions.

Toyoharu Tanabe has been named F1 technical director and will focus on the racing and testing operation at the circuit.

Autosport has learned Yasuaki Asaki will take the role of operating officer at Sakura in charge of Formula 1 engine development.

Tanabe, who has worked for Honda since 1984, has F1 experience, having worked as an engineer for Gerhard Berger at McLaren and as chief engineer for Jenson Button at BAR and then Honda.

He also worked in Indycar, currently holds the role of senior manager and race team chief engineer for Honda Performance Development and is believed to be highly rated within Honda.

Hasegawa, who took over from Yasuhisa Arai in early 2016, will no longer be involved in the F1 project but hold the role of executive chief engineer.

Honda says he will use his experience and knowledge from the F1 project to work on various global research and development projects focused on future mass production. The trio will take up their respective new roles on 1 January.

“In the past, the head of F1 project assumed responsibility in both technological development and directing the team at the spot of racing,” said Honda chief officer for Brand and Communication Operations Katsuhide Moriyama.

“By separating these areas of responsibility, we will evolve our structure so that both the development team and racing/testing team can assume their respective responsibilities more speedily.

“By ensuring both the development team and racing team soundly fulfil their respective roles, Honda will continue its challenges so that fans can enjoy seeing Toro Rosso-Honda competing at the top level without further delay.”
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hond ... 86597/amp/

Not sure how I feel about this... Was Hasegawa just the fall guy to make the engine concept transition, take the blame and then make room for the actual boss?

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18874&p=731240&hili ... ki#p731240

mzso

bigblue wrote:
Anyway, Honda are on a roll ! Oh, yeah, they're also pulling out at the end of the year. So, I wonder how many, if any, technical development staff (as opposed to production, maintenance) will be seconded to Red Bull. Could be an interesting experience for some Japanese engineers to be thrown directly into Red Bull F1 culture.
Typical Honda. Fund the design process of the best car, then pull out and let Brawn reap the rewards. And create the perfect race winning team for Mercedes.
Create the best PU, then give the tech away to the customer, so they can base their own motor program on it, and win a championship under their own name with it. Fast forward a few years for another comeback and be outclassed in the engine field by the former customer.

ispano6

mzso wrote:
28 Apr 2021, 20:40
bigblue wrote:
Typical Honda. Fund the design process of the best car, then pull out and let Brawn reap the rewards. And create the perfect race winning team for Mercedes.
Create the best PU, then give the tech away to the customer, so they can base their own motor program on it, and win a championship under their own name with it. Fast forward a few years for another comeback and be outclassed in the engine field by the former customer.
Well, Honda may be lured back if there is the promise of hydrogen fuel cells and other technologies like 100% biofuels. In the meantime they will just have to be content with competing in Indy, MotoGP, and LMP etc. Perhaps a foray into Formula E. It hasn't been mentioned in western news yet but my wife was telling me Honda is going to be developing rocket engines for use in space flight. Interesting news to come.