Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
etusch

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

I can't believe this. A formula 1 car's part must handle this kind of things. So powerful engine will vibrate. Drivers use kerbs, vibrates and track suface are not smooth as well.
so how someone can talk about this cars if engine is not vibrating so much, it runs smooth.

dans79

etusch wrote:
17 May 2021, 17:10
I can't believe this. A formula 1 car's part must handle this kind of things. So powerful engine will vibrate. Drivers use kerbs, vibrates and track suface are not smooth as well.
so how someone can talk about this cars if engine is not vibrating so much, it runs smooth.
If a frequency is close to the resonant frequency of some component that could be very problematic.
197 104 103 7

PhillipM

I mean it's a return to the same issues that plagued them trying to run the tiny engine back in the mclaren days, same thing, issues with misfires, issues with connections from vibration, and issues on the gearbox. Can't all be pure coincidence.

Lock2nl

Where is the proof that they actually have a vibration problem?

godlameroso

These urinalists... There is a frequency problem, it's a very stiff block. I mentioned that the stiffer you make something the more frequency it can transmit vs something less stiff which can partially attenuate those frequencies. There is a vibration issue, it's being resolved, at the ICE level.

There's light at the end of the tunnel, we'll see what happens this weekend on Tsunoda's car.

Frankly I have no idea how they learned about this, but if it's the same way I did. It's 85% legit, and 15% got lost in translation.

ERS replacements had nothing to do with the vibration though, that's complete hogwash.
Saishū kōnā

Lock2nl

godlameroso wrote:
17 May 2021, 18:59
These urinalists... There is a frequency problem, it's a very stiff block.
So all teams somehow have to handle these vibrations?

godlameroso

Lock2nl wrote:
17 May 2021, 19:51
godlameroso wrote:
Do all teams run Honda ICEs?
Saishū kōnā

Wouter

PhillipM wrote:
17 May 2021, 18:13
I mean it's a return to the same issues that plagued them trying to run the tiny engine back in the mclaren days, same thing, issues with misfires, issues with connections from vibration, and issues on the gearbox. Can't all be pure coincidence.
What issues? Misfires, connections from vibration, gearbox? There are no issues of that kind.
There is no proof that they actually have a vibration problem. Just one Italian site published this story and there is
no other F1 site who writes about vibration problems with the Honda PU. Coincidence?
The Power of Dreams!

dans79

Wouter wrote:
17 May 2021, 20:19
PhillipM wrote:
What issues? Misfires, connections from vibration, gearbox? There are no issues of that kind.
There is no proof that they actually have a vibration problem. Just one Italian site published this story and there is
no other F1 site who writes about vibration problems with the Honda PU. Coincidence?
Are you referring to now or in the past, because they definitely had many issues in the past.
197 104 103 7

Wouter

dans79 wrote:
17 May 2021, 22:10
Wouter wrote:
PhillipM wrote:
Are you referring to now or in the past, because they definitely had many issues in the past.
Now, this saison.

Wouter wrote:
There are no issues of that kind.
The Power of Dreams!

Lock2nl

godlameroso wrote:
17 May 2021, 19:58
Lock2nl wrote:
17 May 2021, 19:51
godlameroso wrote:
Do all teams run Honda ICEs?
No. I bet all blocks are stiff...

PlatinumZealot

zibby43 wrote:
16 May 2021, 23:32
The Honda PU is suffering from vibration issues. This is what was causing the electronics problems. The PU has had to be turned down slightly to prevent more failures. Something that can hopefully be addressed for '22, as some of the components brought forward to '21 were theoretically best-suited to be fully exploited next year.

Excerpt:

"Vibration problems led to the replacement of parts of electronic components , such as the battery and the control unit on Perez's cars and the two Alpha Tauri, and above all a less aggressive use of the hybrid part of the Japanese unit compared to the first round of the season."

https://www.formu1a.uno/le-vibrazioni-d ... -red-bull/
Hopefully a driveline problem more than an inherent vibration stemming from the combustion.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

etusch wrote:
They had vibration issues before. Discussed at length if you are willing to dig up posts from 2017 :D
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

etusch

PlatinumZealot wrote:
18 May 2021, 14:42
etusch wrote:
They had vibration issues before. Discussed at length if you are willing to dig up posts from 2017 :D
I remember that. But that was both light weight and unmature combustion issues together. They firstly saw vibration when pu meet with McLaren gb.
But now pretty mature combustion process, way better intagration with chassis comprared to McLaren and this is zero concept more than lighter one. So I don't think there is not unacceptable vibration there. I am sure that if there is, still it is not comparable with McLaren one.

PhillipM

It wasn't really a lightweight issue before, PU weights are mandated.

Still they're showing the exact same problems as they had with vibration issues back in the Mclaren the last time they tried a tiny PU