Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
User avatar
hUirEYExbN
5
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:30 pm

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

tpe wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:28 pm
No Engineer will say they did something illegal.
Having MY answering, is a trick from Mercor the press, to discredit any claim because MY is treated like a semi-God and whatever he says is the absolute truth.
Who is MY?

tpe
tpe
-3
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:24 pm
Location: Greece

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

MY is what the autocorrect thinks is LH...
:D

Roostfactor
Roostfactor
12
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:50 am
Location: Texas

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

tpe wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:49 pm
MY is what the autocorrect thinks is LH...
:D

I was curious too! So you mentioned Merc, not Mercor?
I figured that part out but was too much of a vag to ask about MY, haha.

tpe
tpe
-3
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:24 pm
Location: Greece

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

I still try to figure out the Mercor thingy...
It is in list of "learned" words.
Anyway, we go off topic

Krischnen
Krischnen
4
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:56 am

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

Craigy wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:00 pm
Technical Directives should be public since they are effectively part of the regs. I have often wondered why they are allowed to operate in the quasi-rulebook way they do.
It's a pretty strange way of legislation indeed.
I vaguely remember a press conference where Charlie Whiting was questioned about these TD's and why they weren't made available to the public. iirc he said there wasnt a real reason for it, it was just the way things were done.

User avatar
_cerber1
238
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:50 pm
Location: From Russia with love

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

Craigy wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:00 pm
Technical Directives should be public since they are effectively part of the regs. I have often wondered why they are allowed to operate in the quasi-rulebook way they do.
I think this is due to the fact that the directive may contain information that may reveal some secrets about the motor, which the manufacturer would not want to be made public.

Hoffman900
Hoffman900
69
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:02 am

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

_cerber1 wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:16 pm
Craigy wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:00 pm
Technical Directives should be public since they are effectively part of the regs. I have often wondered why they are allowed to operate in the quasi-rulebook way they do.
I think this is due to the fact that the directive may contain information that may reveal some secrets about the motor, which the manufacturer would not want to be made public.
The irony is that most outside of F1, they release the why's in the technical directive and in some cases, display the part for everyone to see "don't do this".

For selfish reasons, I would love to know what they were doing.

User avatar
bigblue
42
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:18 am

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/perez-and-latifi-set-for-f1-dutch-gp-pitlane-starts/6660948/

Perez started the Dutch GP from the pitlane.

However, it has now emerged via FIA documentation that the energy store is of a different specification. A Honda spokesperson declined to give any further information, beyond noting that the reasons behind the change were "nothing special."
Reliability update ? Who knows.

User avatar
etusch
201
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:09 pm
Location: Turkey

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

I want to share this video here because of relation with mgu-h.


User avatar
Mogster
1
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:02 pm

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

Hoffman900 wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:59 pm
_cerber1 wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:16 pm
Craigy wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:00 pm
Technical Directives should be public since they are effectively part of the regs. I have often wondered why they are allowed to operate in the quasi-rulebook way they do.
I think this is due to the fact that the directive may contain information that may reveal some secrets about the motor, which the manufacturer would not want to be made public.
The irony is that most outside of F1, they release the why's in the technical directive and in some cases, display the part for everyone to see "don't do this".

For selfish reasons, I would love to know what they were doing.
It would be interesting, a further insight into the technical workings of the sport. If the teams all see the directives then I can’t see any reason not to make them public.

NL_Fer
NL_Fer
99
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:48 am

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

etusch wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:20 am
I want to share this video here because of relation with mgu-h.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhu3s1ut3wM&t=631s
https://drivetribe.com/p/the-williams-f ... TNvrqycJXw

Williams tried it already in 2010, but opted for battery ES anyway. The flywheel battery was used by Audi’s LMP1 winner eventually.

User avatar
Craigy
85
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:20 am

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

NL_Fer wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:34 am
etusch wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:20 am
I want to share this video here because of relation with mgu-h.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhu3s1ut3wM&t=631s
https://drivetribe.com/p/the-williams-f ... TNvrqycJXw

Williams tried it already in 2010, but opted for battery ES anyway. The flywheel battery was used by Audi’s LMP1 winner eventually.
There's still a flywheel energy storage company at Silverstone, although I don't know what they are doing at the moment. (edited to add: https://punchflybrid.com/ )

Alexf1
Alexf1
25
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:52 pm

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

bigblue wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:07 am
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/perez-and-latifi-set-for-f1-dutch-gp-pitlane-starts/6660948/

Perez started the Dutch GP from the pitlane.

However, it has now emerged via FIA documentation that the energy store is of a different specification. A Honda spokesperson declined to give any further information, beyond noting that the reasons behind the change were "nothing special."
Reliability update ? Who knows.
Now that we know Honda introduced a faster charging/discharging ES since Spa, can we expect better performance especially in the race? I would think so. Max followed Bottas quite well in Monza sprintrace while being slower in qualy. Faster thus more charging at every braking zone is most helpful in the race. RB didn't seem to have clipping at the end of the Q lap this season so I don't think it would make a big difference in Q.

User avatar
bigblue
42
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:18 am

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

I like the "nothing special", given that they've now said it's been a years long effort, giving performance and weight gains etc. :-) https://honda.racing/f1/post/new-energy-store-f1

Edit : more-or-less the above Honda press release in video form with a little added context by the-race.com at youtube : https://youtu.be/WUjEE2sG3Lw
Last edited by bigblue on Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alexf1
Alexf1
25
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:52 pm

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

bigblue wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:04 am
I like the "nothing special", given that they've now said it's been a years long effort, giving performance and weight gains etc. :-) https://honda.racing/f1/post/new-energy-store-f1
Are there any clues to how much the new type ES has improved lap time in the race? Must be a few tenths because RB went from behind on pace in Hungary to sightly ahead in Zandvoort