Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
nevill3

Re: Honda Power Unit

Thunders wrote:Pretty sure that is the 2015 PU. The Exhaust Manifolds and the Intake Plenum are very old Friends.... :mrgreen:
Looking at the exhausts again I think you are correct, unless they have reverted to the log type exhausts for 2016.
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

radosav

Is there anyone older than 23 years in this factory? :D

OviJohn

First pictures of PU (Courtesy of http://www.funoanalisitecnica.com/)

The article is in Italian, but from the pic, they´re assesing the PU has an increased Intercooler housing.

PlatinumZealot

Similar architecture
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

FW17

The new airbox is huge in comparison to last year

Thunder

And it looks like it's made from CF from Day 1 :shock: :mrgreen:

On a serious Note: Everything looks so much neater packaged and arranged. The Exhaust Manifolds look loke they take more Space than last Years Version. But as lons as it Performs it's all good.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

f1rules

Postmoe

The way the airbox has been raised gives more space upon the V.

Manifolds are more coated, but I think last year's had an integrated shield in the bodywork... or just perhaps my imagination.

Thunder

https://twitter.com/ianparkesf1/status/ ... 5701722113 So they can easily incorporate the Mercedes "secret" during the Season. :D
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

maguetox

Postmoe wrote:
The way the airbox has been raised gives more space upon the V.

Manifolds are more coated, but I think last year's had an integrated shield in the bodywork... or just perhaps my imagination.

Also I bet with this new airbox, they have a more convetional variable inlets trumpets, instead of the 90 degree of last year, those inlets in 90 must cost some efficiency in the overall perfomance of the ICE.

FW17

Thunders wrote:https://twitter.com/ianparkesf1/status/ ... 5701722113

So they can easily incorporate the Mercedes "secret" during the Season. :D
Each head design change is some 2 or 3 tokens right ?

taperoo2k

FW17 wrote:
Thunders wrote:https://twitter.com/ianparkesf1/status/ ... 5701722113

So they can easily incorporate the Mercedes "secret" during the Season. :D
Each head design change is some 2 or 3 tokens right ?
18 out of 32 tokens = 14 (i think). So plenty of scope to play around with the PU design. Factoring
in possible changes under safety/reliability then Honda has some wriggle room.

The question is when will Honda switch from it's current design path to a different one with 2017 in mind when the restrictions are lifted ?

godlameroso

I think testing was for them to decide which path to go on, I think the layout is set for the forseeable future. As far as tokens go, from 14 tokens it costs 7-9 tokens to re-do the combustion concept. 3 tokens for comubstion 2 tokens for valve axis, and 2 for valve drive for new cams etc. This plus 2 more for the cylinder head, that's 9, which leaves 5, however I doubt Honda would make such a large architechture change. New turbo, and turbine cost 2 tokens each. Re-doing each electrical machine costs 5 tokens, as well as the ES. The cooling of the ERS costs 1 token. On the flip side, since they used 18 you can sort of guess what Honda has used tokens on.

*If you narrow that down, then you can also guess more or less where they're waiting to improve on. I'm pretty sure they'd only sign off on upgrades on areas where they know they've made gains since they have to be more careful in how they spend their tokens than their rivals. Other manufacturers can take more risks because they're trying desperately to maintain their advantage.
Saishū kōnā

Sasha

How many tokens for moving Compressor(bigger one) from V to rear of engine?

That could be the rumored major upgrade by round 11 the press trolls been talking about.

And with that move I would guess a new MGU-H and Turbine too and improvements to ERS cooling.

jure

Sasha wrote:How many tokens for moving Compressor(bigger one) from V to rear of engine?

That could be the rumored major upgrade by round 11 the press trolls been talking about.

And with that move I would guess a new MGU-H and Turbine too and improvements to ERS cooling.
Why would they move it to the rear? Wouldn't it be better to move it to the front (unless current layout doesn't allow it)? They have done half of it already.