Braking power and the F1 energy recovery system

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
wuzak

Re: Braking power and the F1 energy recovery system

xpensive wrote::arrow:
gruntguru wrote:So, how log before the rules allow MGUK on the front wheels? Lots more waste energy to be harvested plus AWD capability..
It will probably happen in WEC long before it reaches F1.
It is already in WEC.

Lycoming

xpensive wrote::arrow:
gruntguru wrote:So, how log before the rules allow MGUK on the front wheels? Lots more waste energy to be harvested plus AWD capability..
It will probably happen in WEC long before it reaches F1.
It already has. Actually, Audi has been harvesting on the front since 2011, but this is the first year somebody (Toyota) is harvesting front and rear.

xpensive

And that would be with supercapacitors rather than batteries?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

andylaurence

xpensive wrote:And that would be with supercapacitors rather than batteries?
Here's some information on that. Audi use flywheel storage and Porsche use batteries.

.poz

Is a pack a li-ion batteries capable to store those energy in such a short time ?

I was considering that the advantage of Merc engine is not just in the amount of energy it can recover but in the amount of the energy it is able to store.

Do you think that a ES with a super capacitor acting like a buffer to catch power spikes and charging li-ion batteries at a slower speed is able to store more recovered energy ?

Lycoming

There's no advantage to be had if you're capable of storing as much energy as is allowed by the regulations. If you can do that without supercapacitors, then you can't really justify the cost/weight of adding them. It would be a different story if only stored energy was limited and power was not.

FW17

What are the current sizes of battery pack? The Renault presentation makes it look quiet large considering a pack just 25kgs. I estimate the pack to be about 35 cms in plan and 6 cms in height with a density of abt 3500 kg/m^3