Locked or spool differentials

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
autogyro

Re: Locked or spool differentials

strad wrote:A spool is no differential..it locks the two wheels together .. THIS is a spool
http://www.stradsplace.com/photos/spool.jpg
Indeed it is strad, add a ring gear and pinion to it and you have a spool differential.

strad

If you castrate a bull, obviously it is no longer a bull. It is a steer. But according to your logic it should be called a bull steer. Can't be both things, just like a spool diff.
YES, YES, exacly. It's not a differential at all.
There is no difference in the input to or the output of either wheel. No difference = no differential.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

autogyro

strad wrote:
If you castrate a bull, obviously it is no longer a bull. It is a steer. But according to your logic it should be called a bull steer. Can't be both things, just like a spool diff.
YES, YES, exacly. It's not a differential at all.
There is no difference in the input to or the output of either wheel. No difference = no differential.
Hahaha
The assembly does differentiate between the pinion input and the 'two' drive outputs though doesnt it ;-)
Go on Go on Go on hahaha

PhillipM

Final drive, perhaps, not a differential. Unless you count the whole gearbox as a differential...

autogyro

PhillipM wrote:Final drive, perhaps, not a differential. Unless you count the whole gearbox as a differential...
Sometimes the differential is also the gearbox as in the Alfa bi motor.
This had a strait eight engine in the front and another in the back, a gearbox in the middle and two diagonal drive shafts to each rear wheel.
I consulted with Tony Rudd on one of these when they were trying to work out the engine and chassis mounts.
It sits in a museum.
What would you call the final drive on that car?

autogyro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME3m1Rz2RzE

The first ever Ferrari.
I looked over this car with Tony Rudd (ex ERA BRM and Lotus) and helped with the engine mounting and alignment.
In a museum now.

strad

Let me see . . . perhaps because in common parlance a "diff" is "a big cast iron thing that keeps the rear wheels apart".
No..That's the third member and or the pumpkin. :wink:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

mrluke

If a door is a little bit open it is a jar. How can it be both a door and a jar !?

strad

Image Image
Sir Stirling Moss

Jersey Tom

You guys can't possibly, seriously be arguing this. If someone says a car's got a "spool" or a "spool diff" or a "locked diff" you know exactly what they're talking about. The end.

Just the same if you ask someone how much air pressure they have in their tires and they say "thirty pounds." Do you stand in there in disbelief, shocked, mouth agape, stuttering "but... but... I asked for a measurement of pressure and you replied in MASS or FORCE. HOW CAN THIS BE?!?!? IT DOESN"T ADD UP!!!"
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

gruntguru

A voice of reason. Thanks Jersey Tom.
je suis charlie

autogyro

gruntguru wrote:A voice of reason. Thanks Jersey Tom.
I agree GG for most people the basic workings of a geared differential in a conventional axle are strait forward.
Understanding the use of a spool, locked diff, locker or ratchet diff and slipper diff is also fairly easy.
It is when you consider torque vectoring differentials that The principles become more important.
There are development directions available from gearboxes and final drive systems that could net more performance gains than from any engine development.
Unfortunately today we have a spec formula that prevents any work in this direction.