Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
PhillipM

Re: Ferrari Power Unit

They don't eliminate back pressure, and they don't stop the turbine generating power from either flow or pulse tuning, they reduce back pressure.

saviour stivala

PhillipM wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 13:18
saviour stivala wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 13:12
I qouted the AMG PETRONS MOTORSPORT PU106C specification which says 4MJ per lap (33.33 seconds full power). you qouting anything other or contrary to that is totally irrelevant to me.
Even when it's the exact same source that contradicts yours, which tells you the reliability of the PR fluff on a website you're trying to use in your arguement is probably somewhat questionable? #-o
AMG PETRONAS NOTORSPORT power unit specification as quoted on their site cannot but be in accordance with rules and regulations.

PhillipM

Of course it can, it's PR fluff written by someone maintaining a public facing website, not by a hundred engineers and ratified by the FIA. The exact same site in a different place says a different thing ffs #-o

TzeiTzei

saviour stivala wrote:
PhillipM wrote:
saviour stivala wrote:
I qouted the AMG PETRONS MOTORSPORT PU106C specification which says 4MJ per lap (33.33 seconds full power). you qouting anything other or contrary to that is totally irrelevant to me.
Even when it's the exact same source that contradicts yours, which tells you the reliability of the PR fluff on a website you're trying to use in your arguement is probably somewhat questionable? #-o
AMG PETRONAS NOTORSPORT power unit specification as quoted on their site cannot but be in accordance with rules and regulations.
Are you serious?

saviour stivala

PhillipM wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 13:30
They don't eliminate back pressure, and they don't stop the turbine generating power from either flow or pulse tuning, they reduce back pressure.
yes they do eleminat back pressure, and there is no way that while the waste gates are fully open and exhaust gasses are bypasing the turbine with the compressor in electric supercharging mode the turbine can in any way help by means of the exhaust gasses make the MGU-H harvest. in that mode the MGU-H is being used as a motor and not as a generator.

PhillipM

There are plenty of ways, and no, it is completely, physically impossible for them to eliminate back pressure, if there's flow, there's a pressure gradient. Physics 101 for 6 year olds.
I don't know if you've noticed, but this is a technical site, so twisting rules, making rules up and blatent rubbish like that above isn't particularly relevent as contributions.
Last edited by PhillipM on 22 Jul 2018, 13:56, edited 1 time in total.

henry

saviour stivala wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 13:17
henry wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 12:28
saviour stivala wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 11:30

between the end of the manifold and the scroll housing, that's before the scroll housing, waste gates that are build-in into the scroll housing vents/relieve exhaust pressure inside the scroll housing itself and direct the exhaust gasses to the outlet of the scroll housing, that design will not require a waste gate dedicated exhaust pipe.
So what’s going on with the 2015 Honda? It vents through the housing. No external pipes to the tailpipe. Did Honda not get the message?
according to the rules waste gate/s need have it's own dedicated exhaust pipe which means it is against the rules to vent/bypass waste gates exhaust gasses through the scroll housing.
Well that’s not how it was before 2016. Honda most definitely vented internally through the scroll housing. Renault, on the other hand vented from the top of the scroll through a pipe that joined the main pipe. (It had to do this because the regulations then required all exhaust gases to go through a right circular cylinder ar the rear of the car)

I’d show you a picture of the Renault but it’s a little fuzzy and even the clear Honda images seem open to (mis)interpretation.

The rules only constrain the tail portion of the wastegate pipes, the last 150mm. They say nothing at all about where they originate other than once they’ve passed the wastegate they must exit via the wastegate exhausts.

How are you getting on with that definition of “free load mode” you cited?
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

Cold Fussion

PhillipM wrote:
saviour stivala wrote:
Honestly I'm amazed that someone who is completely unable to read a simple flow chart in technical regulations even found their way on here in the first place.

seventhsin

Why are some people still humouring SS? It's clear he favours misguided opinion over fact and even verbatim regulations. Continuing to correct him isn't working, this sort of thing doesn't usually fly around here?

It's making the regular informed, correct and intelligent discussion few and far between.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

NL_Fer

I was thinking about the wastegate operation during yesterdays qualifying. We suggested electric supercharger mode. But how about opening the wastegate for a specific amount, to keep just enough pressure/blowdown on the turbine for driving the compressor and keep the power to/from the MGU-H at 0kw.

subcritical71

NL_Fer wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 18:01
I was thinking about the wastegate operation during yesterdays qualifying. We suggested electric supercharger mode. But how about opening the wastegate for a specific amount, to keep just enough pressure/blowdown on the turbine for driving the compressor and keep the power to/from the MGU-H at 0kw.
That is a plausible strategy. But without knowing all the variables its impossible to know what makes sense to execute for a given on track strategy. Unfortunately its not like we can go to the individual suppliers (turbo, MGH-H/K, ICE, etc) and ask for the operation curves and perform an engineering study to determine the best strategy. For all we know Ferrari could have figured out how to extract maximum work from the MGU-H and Compressor at the same time and have a net positive after taking into account other losses.

If only someone would leak a few years old data we'd have a better understanding!

apexcontrol

PhillipM wrote:
saviour stivala wrote:
yeah its unbelievable, it's literary the same webpage but when he uses a phrase out of it is 100% right and when others do it's bullshit [-o< [-o< [-o<

subcritical71

apexcontrol wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 19:24
PhillipM wrote:
saviour stivala wrote:
yeah its unbelievable, it's literary the same webpage but when he uses a phrase out of it is 100% right and when others do it's bullshit [-o< [-o< [-o<
It sounds like the manufacturers should start updating their webpages to their benefit... since those are somehow interpreted as regulations now!?! :wtf:

PhillipM

Rumour has it Ferrari added a blank HTML page over winter that was called '+40hp'

Blackout

Big Tea wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 23:52
subcritical71 wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 23:37
holeindalip wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 23:06

Exactly what I was thinking, maybe we are looking at the wrong area when we should be looking at the bargeboards.... Just a guess and ot from the engine thread

I remember somebody talking about bargeboards with a fluidic design on the McLaren being debuted this year
I forget which team it was, but they hid a part of the car and everyone was looking at all different angles to find the change. What they didn’t know was that the change was at the other end of the car, in plain sight, going unnoticed.
Lotus. They made a show of hiding the gearbox and no one noticed the tunnel.
Far to many cameras today I think.

I did start thinking of that, but it is not just Ferrari Ferrari improved, its all the Ferrari engine cars.
Which tunnel?