Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

saviour stivala wrote:
05 Sep 2018, 22:33
PlatinumZealot wrote:
05 Sep 2018, 18:42
saviour stivala wrote:
03 Sep 2018, 23:14
Malhe TJI combustion system is not compatible with the FIA direct injection rules. Because it injects and ignites in a pre-combustion chamber.
Because Malhe is a FERRARI partner it doesn’t mean FERRARI are using Malhe TJI combustion system.
Well, it is easy to say that and many of us had that as an initial thought but that problem has been a good mind exercise for us forum members; to see how to implement TJI into the current FIA rules. I can see you are new here, but if you dig up a few threads you will see some ingenious solutions by some of the forum members.
Agree PlatinumZealot that many of you ‘us’ had a good mind exercise in how to implement TJI into current FIA rules, and I believe (and already explained this, but haven’t been let through) that most probably the speculation pusher of TJI use in F1 (article/s referred too) rode on ideas from on here to save his day on his site (article). Also no doubt there are some very ingenious solutions by some of the forum members that is exactly what makes this site so interesting. Yes I am a new participant on here, but be assured that I have been following this site much before your joined-up date.
So you were peeking over the fence for more than ten years? What urged you to join this year?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

hollus

Let's leave personal quarrels and chest puffing out of the thread, shall we? We all know how to pick a fight. It is much more difficult to walk away from it, hence why it feels so rewarding ;-)
At it is soooo much better for level discussion on the forum!

Back to the Ferrari PU, please.
Thanks.
Rivals, not enemies.

subcritical71

A few races ago when the Sauber engine cover came off during some hot laps some photos were taken of the PU. I couldn't find any discussion regarding what the red capped fluid bottles tucked under the inlet plenum could be for. I'm thinking hydraulics fluid, but there are two distinctly separate colored fluid in the bottles. One is red in color, the other is more blue. Does anyone know?

photo from:
and

photo from:

roon

https://twitter.com/Motorsport/status/1 ... 3978892288

“We did ask Ferrari to stop using these ice packs,” said the spokesman. “The main reason was that FOM were not happy with them doing it. The issue is one of internal ECU temperature which the FIA will continue to monitor with FOM.”

The FIA added that theories that Ferrari was trying to hide settings that could be outside the regulations were also wide of the mark.

“It [the camera bag] prevented television seeing the dashboard, which inevitably led to several conspiracy theories, but the reality is that the FIA know everything we need to know about the dashboard software and it is entirely legal.”

subcritical71

roon wrote:
07 Sep 2018, 20:42

“We did ask Ferrari to stop using these ice packs,” said the spokesman. “The main reason was that FOM were not happy with them doing it. The issue is one of internal ECU temperature which the FIA will continue to monitor with FOM.”

The FIA added that theories that Ferrari was trying to hide settings that could be outside the regulations were also wide of the mark.

“It [the camera bag] prevented television seeing the dashboard, which inevitably led to several conspiracy theories, but the reality is that the FIA know everything we need to know about the dashboard software and it is entirely legal.”
Well, if ECU temperature was really a concern I'm sure that the likes of Ferrari could figure out a cooling aparatus that doesn't obstruct the T camera....

roon

subcritical71 wrote:
10 Sep 2018, 20:28
roon wrote:
07 Sep 2018, 20:42

Well, if ECU temperature was really a concern I'm sure that the likes of Ferrari could figure out a cooling aparatus that doesn't obstruct the T camera....
Maybe there's a cooling circuit through the T-cam housing.

wuzak

Maybe it has had people looking in the wrong direction.

marvin78

wuzak wrote:
11 Sep 2018, 03:56
Maybe it has had people looking in the wrong direction.
I don't think that that is the case. It only got people to look in every direction.

Godius

When I saw the incident on the tv-feed I had to think back of the rumours from a couple of seasons ago that Ferrari had a cooling system for certain fluids or other fluids transportation system incorporated into the floor.

roon

Godius wrote:
15 Sep 2018, 23:31
When I saw the incident on the tv-feed I had to think back of the rumours from a couple of seasons ago that Ferrari had a cooling system for certain fluids or other fluids transportation system incorporated into the floor.
roon wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 02:19
At the Barcelona test those floor stickers came back. They showed up last year, to much speculation.

Re: wastegate, here are some images of last year's power unit.

Compare to how large the WG pipes were in 2014, before two small wastegate pipes were specified by the regulations.

Last edited by roon on 16 Sep 2018, 01:38, edited 1 time in total.

godlameroso

But why would you need to transport fluid aside from it's normal circuit?
Saishū kōnā

subcritical71

godlameroso wrote:
16 Sep 2018, 01:28
Could the floor be used as a sort of heat exchanger? I noticed awhile back on one of the inlet ducts that you could see what appeared to be a heat sink... I’m thinking something similar on the floor to remove a bit of heat, therefore allowing smaller radiator aopenings.

Sieper

subcritical71 wrote:
16 Sep 2018, 01:35
godlameroso wrote:
16 Sep 2018, 01:28
Could the floor be used as a sort of heat exchanger? I noticed awhile back on one of the inlet ducts that you could see what appeared to be a heat sink... I’m thinking something similar on the floor to remove a bit of heat, therefore allowing smaller radiator aopenings.
Could be, think Macchi MC.72, still the fastest seaplane ever and a red Italian beauty If there ever was one. Visited the vigna di valle museo a few years back, ab fab collection.

subcritical71

Sieper wrote:
16 Sep 2018, 01:49
Could be, think Macchi MC.72, still the fastest seaplane ever and a red Italian beauty If there ever was one. Visited the vigna di valle museo a few years back, ab fab collection.
Yes, that is exactly the type of system I was thinking about. I’ve been searching through Ferrari floor photos and can’t find anything that looks like a heat sink, but even pipes running along the surface would cool to some degree. And the underside of the car has a lot of air being pulled through it.

Also, as a private pilot I also appreciate you enlightening me on the MC.72! That is one unique plane.