Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Tommy Cookers

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

what the MC 72 (like other Schneider race seaplanes and 1930s speed record planes) had were called surface radiators
the Tarf (Taruffi) II 1951 record car and a 1955 750cc Nardi Le Mans car also had such
(most claimed photos of the Tarf II are actually the earlier aircooled Tarf that had no radiators)

Big Tea

I sometimes wondered if the 'fin' of the engine cover could be used as a radiator, I never considered the floor.
Would this not have a negative effect as it would re radiate the heat back into the engine compartment?

With my s#!t stirring hat on, what is it cooling? what is the fluid, and how much gets used,leaked and where does it leak to?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

saviour stivala

Any coolant liquid on the car is not ‘used’ in the sense of the ward like fuel and oil are used-up, there is no consumption. Where it leaks off too depends on the leak.

Big Tea

saviour stivala wrote:
16 Sep 2018, 13:35
Any coolant liquid on the car is not ‘used’ in the sense of the ward like fuel and oil are used-up, there is no consumption. Where it leaks off too depends on the leak.
Thats why I ask what it is cooling :twisted:

Sierra117

Cooling the batteries maybe? Due to the extra power they're finding, it would probably result in enormous heat generation as the batteries discharge. Don't want the car to explode like a Note 7 now do we 😂
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

GrandAxe

They can't use their electrical systems off the start line until they get to 100kph, by which time there should be enough airflow to provide cooling. Therefore, its unlikely to be the battery.

Linking this to the bag saga, which was another strange application of cooling; it was either a diversion or most likely something to do with either the MGU-H or circuitry (or other gadgetry) that can only operate at low temperatures, but was nevertheless required at race start
If it wasn't a diversion, then it was something that required external cooling until the car was powered up and could then provide the cooling internally.
Last edited by GrandAxe on 17 Sep 2018, 19:32, edited 2 times in total.

nevill3

I thought they were using a "cooling" device because they wanted to cover the camera and only cooling/heating items were allowed to be placed on the car in that manner. I thought they were trying to hide something from the camera :mrgreen:
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

Dex35

I have often wondered if there was an "incidental" function associated with the infrared temperature scanners for the rear tires. Namely as tire heaters. An "incidental" flow of air from inside the chassis and out thru the "nodule". Air flow itself is fixed (no moveable aerodynamic devices), but the fluid flow through the heat exchanger is variable. A nice warm breeze on the rears whilst blasting down those cold straights.

Big Tea

Dex35 wrote:
18 Sep 2018, 00:12
I have often wondered if there was an "incidental" function associated with the infrared temperature scanners for the rear tires. Namely as tire heaters. An "incidental" flow of air from inside the chassis and out thru the "nodule". Air flow itself is fixed (no moveable aerodynamic devices), but the fluid flow through the heat exchanger is variable. A nice warm breeze on the rears whilst blasting down those cold straights.
Hot air is also less dense.

roon

T-cam feed whilst in the pits and on the grid usually doesn't usually make it to broadcast. FIA/FOM/Liberty may have access, and potentially other teams could view this feed as well? Who turns the cameras on and when? Who would potentially be able to view steering wheel screens during these times?

Big Tea

roon wrote:
18 Sep 2018, 21:49
T-cam feed whilst in the pits and on the grid usually doesn't usually make it to broadcast. FIA/FOM/Liberty may have access, and potentially other teams could view this feed as well? Who turns the cameras on and when? Who would potentially be able to view steering wheel screens during these times?
It may show the drivers eye view when he is 'overlaying' his lap on another? I know everyone would have most of it, but notations etc?
I wonder if the sound is available to other teams? The final brief would be of interest to the opposition.

scaleautofactory

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

Some news from Ferrari about a second sensor for the battery and power flow:

Is a second measuring sensor to blame for Ferrari's power loss?

Does Ferrari's sudden weakness have anything to do with a second sensor that the FIA ​​installed in the Red's drive? This conclusion is now suggested by a report from 'auto motor und sport'. Ferrari had since the summer suddenly a significant advantage on the straights compared to Mercedes, and even the competition puzzled, where this comes from - especially in the second third of the straight, so in the acceleration between 180 and 260 km / h.

Although the FIA ​​had always stressed that everything was legal at Ferrari, nevertheless, the advantage seems to be since Singapore. According to reports, a second sensor has been installed on all Ferrari drives, which measures the energy flow. Ferrari is the only manufacturer to have an energy storage device that connects two batteries. And the competition was able to prove that the energy flow with the old measuring method was not measurable beyond doubt.

Therefore, the FIA ​​had to intervene and refine the measurement process in order to be legally on the safe side. However, it is still pure speculation as to whether Ferrari could no longer appear so sovereign in Singapore and Russia.

German Report: https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... r-vorteil/

(Hope thats now the right place...)

djones

So when it was declared legal by the FIA, what they actually meant was it was undetectable with the current sensor configuration. Add a 2nd sensor and this extra power is no longer available.

So they were never using the method people had discussed on here where the rules permitted unlimited energy via a certain route.

Ferrari were simply cheating and directing more power than allowed in the rules, but in a way that was not via the standard sensor.

Which is not clever engineering like a flexy-wing etc. Its just dirty cheating.

Big Mangalhit

djones wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 14:12
So when it was declared legal by the FIA, what they actually meant was it was undetectable with the current sensor configuration. Add a 2nd sensor and this extra power is no longer available.

So they were never using the method people had discussed on here where the rules permitted unlimited energy via a certain route.

Ferrari were simply cheating and directing more power than allowed in the rules, but in a way that was not via the standard sensor.

Which is not clever engineering like a flexy-wing etc. Its just dirty cheating.
First off, allegedly cheating

Second, what is the difference of the flexi-wings? They are also clearly cheating and a way to get around the enforcement of the rules