Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
GoranF1
GoranF1

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

nzjrs wrote:
24 Mar 2019, 17:47
GoranF1 wrote:
24 Mar 2019, 17:40
I hear(read on twitter 😀) Ferrari has fundamental problem whit PU, and best chassis on grid.
Problem whit PU discoverd in day 3 of first test.
F1technical.net and not f1-garbage-from-twitter.net
.com
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

GoranF1
GoranF1

nzjrs wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:
I hear(read on twitter 😀) Ferrari has fundamental problem whit PU, and best chassis on grid.
It must hurt real bad..

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

nzjrs

GoranF1 wrote:
24 Mar 2019, 18:22
nzjrs wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:
It must hurt real bad..

Hahaha actually you've been ignored since your drivel on the Honda threads over the previous years. If you could accuse me of anything it would be of supporting Honda.

dfegan358
dfegan358

What is the source of this apparent Ferrari power unit problem?

turbof1

dfegan358 wrote:
24 Mar 2019, 20:45
I think no person working for Ferrari would be telling this, on or off the record. My best guess is that it is conjecture based on the issues during winter testing, speed traps figures in Melbourne as well as Verstappen being able to get by Vettel (which was put down as derating). Note this is perfectly possible, however from my point of view one or a couple of media outlets brought this forward and all other websites were very eager to make something juicy out of it. It is a little bit of a train without brakes, either it will run out of fuel/power because the conjecture is not getting confirmed and come to a halt on its own, or further performance deficit which can possibly be related to PU power, will keep fueling it until the train crashes with Ferrari having to openly admit there is more to the story.

So my best advice is not to bite too much into the speculation for now. I know it's tempting to discuss something this high profile, but we simply do not have enough to go on.
#AeroFrodo

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

turbof1 wrote:
25 Mar 2019, 10:39
dfegan358 wrote:
24 Mar 2019, 20:45
I think no person working for Ferrari would be telling this, on or off the record. My best guess is that it is conjecture based on the issues during winter testing, speed traps figures in Melbourne as well as Verstappen being able to get by Vettel (which was put down as derating). Note this is perfectly possible, however from my point of view one or a couple of media outlets brought this forward and all other websites were very eager to make something juicy out of it. It is a little bit of a train without brakes, either it will run out of fuel/power because the conjecture is not getting confirmed and come to a halt on its own, or further performance deficit which can possibly be related to PU power, will keep fueling it until the train crashes with Ferrari having to openly admit there is more to the story.

So my best advice is not to bite too much into the speculation for now. I know it's tempting to discuss something this high profile, but we simply do not have enough to go on.
Prosit MR Moderator, so spot-on and good analogy with a runaway train with no brakes. Constant and plenty of F1 runaway trains with no brakes out of many F1 stations.

ringo

Helmut Marko thinks that the Ferrari engine was running too hot in Melbourne and this was the reason the engines were dialed back in the race.
So maybe for Bahrain the team will open up the car some more or make changes to the cooling architecture.
For Sure!!

MtthsMlw

Meanwhile AMuS reports that the engine was running too cold.

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

Confuse me some confuse me not.

zibby43
zibby43

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferr ... n/4362698/

Ferrari claiming there was no MGU-H failure.

Mattia Binotto: "We are checking now the engine so we do not have yet a clear explanation of what happened."

“It is an engine problem. We had miscombustion on one cylinder but [the reason is] to be understood."

Sulman
Sulman

As I wrote in the other thread, I find a misfire hard to believe. It would be very obvious, I'm not even sure they'd be able to keep the ICE running in that state.

He's no reason to be obtuse about it. Or does he?

Sieper

I cannot believe a (one) cilinder issue. They really seemed to loose the mgu power (to me). Like Ric in Monaco last year. That would also cause them to burn more fuel. In an effort to keep pace up as much as possible. A not working cilinder would have a much different effect, If indeed the engine could somehow keep going.

f1jcw
f1jcw

Sieper wrote:
01 Apr 2019, 00:00
I cannot believe a (one) cilinder issue. They really seemed to loose the mgu power (to me). Like Ric in Monaco last year. That would also cause them to burn more fuel. In an effort to keep pace up as much as possible. A not working cilinder would have a much different effect, If indeed the engine could somehow keep going.
Okay..... Would a missing cylinder stop the MGU lights being on when recharging...

I smell porkies

gruntguru
gruntguru

Depends on the translation. "Mis-combustion" is not necessarily a complete mis-fire. Could be poor combustion characteristics - detonation, slow burn, incomplete burn etc - on one cylinder.

I would imagine most operating parameters, timing, fuelling etc can be adjusted on a per-cylinder basis to compensate for a malfunctioning cylinder, so the other five cylinders can still operate at their optimum. Some things can be changed per-cylinder eg intake pressure, exhaust pressure.
je suis charlie

f1jcw
f1jcw

gruntguru wrote:
01 Apr 2019, 00:45
Depends on the translation. "Mis-combustion" is not necessarily a complete mis-fire. Could be poor combustion characteristics - detonation, slow burn, incomplete burn etc - on one cylinder.

I would imagine most operating parameters, timing, fuelling etc can be adjusted on a per-cylinder basis to compensate for a malfunctioning cylinder, so the other five cylinders can still operate at their optimum. Some things can be changed per-cylinder eg intake pressure, exhaust pressure.
That doesn’t explain why their was no harvesting light on Charles car.