Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
saviour stivala

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

The standardized six M12 studs mounting pattern of engine to survival cell and six M12 studs mounting pattern of gearbox to engine has been enforced at least from 2014. So if that gearbox shows four mounting studs it belongs to an era from before the gearbox to engine mountings were standardized.

aleks_ader

Yeah also 2015 they had 6 studs. Just the middle ones are just "holes" and the stud is probbably on the ICE.

They must add subassembly to "justify" the 6 studs rule. Ferrari in 2016 add Mercedes style casette gearbox.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

zibby43

Jozsusz

Guys, I have a question.
Did Ferrari want back in 2010-2011 the introduction of hybrid engines or they just voted for the V6 hybrid as it was the "minor worst" for them?

Dr. Acula

Jozsusz wrote:
16 May 2019, 17:17
Guys, I have a question.
Did Ferrari want back in 2010-2011 the introduction of hybrid engines or they just voted for the V6 hybrid as it was the "minor worst" for them?
I'm not sure what you mean with "want back" but i think you mean if Ferrari were very keen to get the V6 Turbo hybrids. Well, if i recall it correctly Ferrari wasn't against the more complex hybrid system compared to what they had back then. But what they didn't wanted was an I4 Turbo Hybrid, which was what Renault suggested originally. Ferrari wanted a V-engine.
From an engineering standpoint the V6 is clearly the better choice for a car with a monocoque because a V-engine can be used as a structural element quite easily where an straight-engine would need extensive structural reinforcement or a subframe to mount the rear suspension.

hurril

This is mildly interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkCZAzZ ... gs=pl%2Cwn

Has a bar-figure that I wonder if it's the intake manifold pressure showing.

Dr. Acula

hurril wrote:
22 May 2019, 09:45

I don't think so. Why would you need over 4 bar manifold pressure while standing in the box and the engine idling? My guess would be oil pressure.

saviour stivala

while a car is standing in the box with engine running the engine will be running as near its idle RPM as possible, who needs 4 bar boost pushing against partially open throttles?

gruntguru

There's an echo in here.
je suis charlie

Jolle

Dr. Acula wrote:
22 May 2019, 10:49
hurril wrote:

I don't think so. Why would you need over 4 bar manifold pressure while standing in the box and the engine idling? My guess would be oil pressure.
for a driver intake pressures are not really interesting, but tire pressures are!

Jolle

Dr. Acula wrote:
17 May 2019, 09:20
Jozsusz wrote:
16 May 2019, 17:17
Guys, I have a question.
I'm not sure what you mean with "want back" but i think you mean if Ferrari were very keen to get the V6 Turbo hybrids. Well, if i recall it correctly Ferrari wasn't against the more complex hybrid system compared to what they had back then. But what they didn't wanted was an I4 Turbo Hybrid, which was what Renault suggested originally. Ferrari wanted a V-engine.
From an engineering standpoint the V6 is clearly the better choice for a car with a monocoque because a V-engine can be used as a structural element quite easily where an straight-engine would need extensive structural reinforcement or a subframe to mount the rear suspension.
Not just for an engineering standpoint, a small subframe would of handled that, plus if everybody had the same problem there wouldn't be a problem. It has more to do with marketing. A Ferrari with an inline four is out of the question. While Mercedes and Renault saw potential, road cars with a 1.6 turbo are kinda the sweet spot for a hot hatch, not the case for a bespoke sports car.

The Mercedes AMG A Class F1 Edition, or the Renault Clio F1 Sport (without a part of F1 tech, just an inline 4 with a turbo)

dfegan358

Did Ferrari revert back to spec 1 power unit for Monaco?

I think it was only an updated ICE that Ferrari took in Spain so will they take a second mgu-k, Mgu-h and turbo in Canada also?

I think only here will we get an idea of relative power unit gains for the second spec engines of Ferrari and Mercedes. Think Ferrari will be stronger than people think here.

saviour stivala

2019 power unite elements used Monaco GP before start of qualifying.
FERRARI car number 5 = 2 ICE. 1 TC. 1 H. 1 K. 1 ES. 2 CE.
FERRARI car number 16 = 2 ICE. 1 TC. 1 H. 1 K. 1 ES. 2 CE.

wuzak

dfegan358 wrote:
01 Jun 2019, 17:23
Did Ferrari revert back to spec 1 power unit for Monaco?
Yes.

sosic2121

hurril wrote:

At 7k rpm pressure goes to 10 bars.
Is this usual for race car/f1 engines?