Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

Ferrari had the straight line speed this year, but tyre degradation was horrible. In Singapore they ran the race slower than the midfield, holding everybody up and pushing the others outside the optimal operating window.

The have a reason to try a setup with better tyre life for next year.

gruntguru
gruntguru

bluechris wrote:
22 Nov 2019, 15:56
Guys really this is great speculation thread, continue I'm impressed.
Does anyone here of the gurus and the people who are certain that Ferrari is cheating, perhaps knows the Greek lotto numbers of Sunday? After all this crucial info that i read here, this will make me extremely happy.
Same as last Sunday's numbers. Don't tell anyone. :wink:
je suis charlie

Laserguru

gruntguru wrote:
23 Nov 2019, 06:32
bluechris wrote:
22 Nov 2019, 15:56
Guys really this is great speculation thread, continue I'm impressed.
Does anyone here of the gurus and the people who are certain that Ferrari is cheating, perhaps knows the Greek lotto numbers of Sunday? After all this crucial info that i read here, this will make me extremely happy.
Same as last Sunday's numbers. Don't tell anyone. :wink:
Google Stefan Mandel. Sure win.
Engineering thrives on communication. Jus soli defending WDC, love and merchandise McLaren, passion and inspiration Ferrari. Open wheel car racing and karting addict.

63l8qrrfy6
63l8qrrfy6

A few days ago I mentioned something about some interesting Ferrari stories I heard from a Merc bloke.

Before I get into any of that I think a big fat disclaimer is in order: First off, given the source of these, there may be some bias against the reds. If you have any sort of strong feelings towards said team it might be best to just ignore this post.

Unlike Red Bull, Merc does not seem convinced Ferrari are doing anything 'dirty' PU wise. They do not know exactly where that PU performance is coming from and are of course considering every possibility. In the post COTA factory debrief it was communicated that the reduction in top speed was in line with an increase in cornering performance - similat to what Ferrari have claimed. Another key point was that it was much more difficult to understand where Ferrari sat drag and power wise due to the relatively different aero design. As far as they could tell the straight line speed has been there since Australia but it was initially considered to be mostly down to aero.

The good bit has to do with last year's twin battery saga. It is claimed that Ferrari used a higher power MGUK fed by a second battery which bypassed the standard IVT sensor. The extra sensors the FIA claimed to have fitted were in fact extra IVTs for the secondary battery. This indeed led to a loss of performance right away.
How exactly they managed to get any sort of penalty out of this is not very clear but it is probably the reason all other teams are now so suspicious of any PU gains made by Ferrari.

LM10
LM10

Mudflap wrote:
24 Nov 2019, 03:37
A few days ago I mentioned something about some interesting Ferrari stories I heard from a Merc bloke.

Before I get into any of that I think a big fat disclaimer is in order: First off, given the source of these, there may be some bias against the reds. If you have any sort of strong feelings towards said team it might be best to just ignore this post.

Unlike Red Bull, Merc does not seem convinced Ferrari are doing anything 'dirty' PU wise. They do not know exactly where that PU performance is coming from and are of course considering every possibility. In the post COTA factory debrief it was communicated that the reduction in top speed was in line with an increase in cornering performance - similat to what Ferrari have claimed. Another key point was that it was much more difficult to understand where Ferrari sat drag and power wise due to the relatively different aero design. As far as they could tell the straight line speed has been there since Australia but it was initially considered to be mostly down to aero.

The good bit has to do with last year's twin battery saga. It is claimed that Ferrari used a higher power MGUK fed by a second battery which bypassed the standard IVT sensor. The extra sensors the FIA claimed to have fitted were in fact extra IVTs for the secondary battery. This indeed led to a loss of performance right away.
How exactly they managed to get any sort of penalty out of this is not very clear but it is probably the reason all other teams are now so suspicious of any PU gains made by Ferrari.
Thank you for providing this insider info.

It’s interesting that Mercedes don’t seem to think that Ferrari is doing anything wrong and don’t even know what they’re doing. Because recent news (Helmut Marko) told that Mercedes indeed knows the secret behind Ferrari’s PU. Redbull was only asking for clarification by getting information from Mercedes.

izzy
izzy

i'm so glad Renault didn't bypass the FIA sensor with a second battery!! just sayin

tho tbf even for Ferrari it sounds a bit unlikely, in any simple way at least

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

Mudflap wrote:
....last year's twin battery saga. It is claimed that Ferrari used a higher power MGUK fed by a second battery which bypassed the standard IVT sensor.....
wasn't the evidence consistent with a legal-power MGU-K motoring for longer than other cars MGU-K motoring ?
ie no evidence of an illegal-power MGU-K ?

Capharol
Capharol

Mudflap wrote:

this sounds to me like "oh we don't see the problem, so we put all the blame on RB" .... cheap
and i have heard other stories

RZS10

Capharol wrote:
24 Nov 2019, 15:58
i have heard other stories
If they're just as spicy ... would you mind sharing them?

Big Tea

RZS10 wrote:
24 Nov 2019, 16:00
Capharol wrote:
We should have a section for posts by 'Jack Hughes' for good stuff like this :twisted:
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Capharol
Capharol

RZS10 wrote:
Capharol wrote:
well it's contrary to what has been writen....... but thats what ppl don't wanna read

and rating my post negative with a comment like "huh?" well that says enough
Last edited by Capharol on 24 Nov 2019, 16:13, edited 1 time in total.

RZS10

ok :lol:

LM10
LM10

Capharol wrote:
24 Nov 2019, 16:12
RZS10 wrote:
Capharol wrote:
well it's contrary to what has been writen....... but thats what ppl don't wanna read
It would still be nice, if you could tell more details on what you’ve heard. Or from whom.
Mudflap’s friend is inside of Mercedes team. It’s as much of a first hand information as we could get here.

Capharol
Capharol

LM10 wrote:
24 Nov 2019, 16:50
Capharol wrote:
24 Nov 2019, 16:12
RZS10 wrote:

It would still be nice, if you could tell more details on what you’ve heard. Or from whom.
Mudflap’s friend is inside of Mercedes team. It’s as much of a first hand information as we could get here.
i know that it would be nice but then this topic will turn into a small battlefield on who is right and who is wrong... and i don't feel into excusing myself for the info i have that stands opposite of others, so i keep them for myself and will see at the end who was right....

who is gonna judge if Mudflap is right or wrong?
would you believe my story if i say it came from inside Mercedes but is the opposite of what mudflap tells us?

let me put it this way, Mercedes is now playing the nice boy of the class and putting it all into the laps of RB becaue its the convenient way for now for Mercedes.

and the users can take it or just leave it as it is ..... again i am not going into a Word-Battle on who is wrong or who is right ..... this is what i know and lets leave it at that

Phil

LM10 wrote:
24 Nov 2019, 12:52
It’s interesting that Mercedes don’t seem to think that Ferrari is doing anything wrong and don’t even know what they’re doing. Because recent news (Helmut Marko) told that Mercedes indeed knows the secret behind Ferrari’s PU. Redbull was only asking for clarification by getting information from Mercedes.
The timeline seems pretty clear to me, as in that quote by Marko was before Brazil. Since Brazil, per Mudflaps post, it seems Mercedes think Ferraris loss is consistent with what they gained in the corners (thus, the new directive didnt do anything).

now, either Ferrari is doing something else, or they can still use it despite the clarification... hence maybe why the FIA reacted and is looking into the fuel lines and maybe why there will be a second sensor next year?
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter