Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
wowgr8
wowgr8

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

ScrewCaptain27 wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 16:12

Not only top speed, but acceleration was significantly better after the last two restarts, after they had plenty of time to recharge the batteries. Just look at how Leclerc got past Norris. Little to do with traction or tyre wear since they pitted at the same time and Norris also got fastest lap at the end.
Interesting you bring up the ERS, people don't know this but I think this is where Ferrari's advantage came from in 2018 before the fuel flow shenanigans last year. There were a few technical directives issued before the season began that related to ERS, I think this sapped their qualifying boost. There were rumours before Australia that they worked on the ERS software with the FIA (like Mercedes did with DAS) but it seemed like the FIA did a 180 and closed the loopholes before the season kicked off

Bill
Bill

Do you have any link on those technical directives I like to know what they entail.

Alexf1
Alexf1

I think its about TD/018-20. On motorsport.com theres an article about the 3 TDs. This one is about ERS sensor for monitoring power and energy. Limitation of frequency on demand of power in order to prevent distortions of measurements being taken by FIA sensors. My take on this is that the FIA has been asleep for too long and has taken all Ferraris engine sweets of the last 2-3 years away in 1 clean sweep. No wonder FIA is fine with a secret agreement. This is huge.

Bill
Bill

That's great & helpful.problem with Fia and Ferrari is that Ferrari is still getting preferential treatment they are effectively helping Fia monitor other 3 power units manufacturers and that's make Toto very angry,Ferrari are a player and a referee.

Dee
Dee

Can I ask, what makes the Ferrari more draggy than last years car? They look similar, even kept last years nose and front wing

Alexf1
Alexf1

I think it's most embarrassing for FIA. They have been looking at the Ferrari engine for 2 years and found nothing themselves. Only when other teams did research and tipped them they suddenly found something/everything. We dont get to know what was wrong but all Ferrari engined teams are 0.6 to 1.1 slower this year.. Thats a lot!

Alexf1
Alexf1

Dee wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 12:33
Can I ask, what makes the Ferrari more draggy than last years car? They look similar, even kept last years nose and front wing
Relatively draggy with the 2020 power level yes, in absolute numbers I dont think it has more drag.

Dee
Dee

Alexf1 wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 12:38
Dee wrote:
Relatively draggy with the 2020 power level yes, in absolute numbers I dont think it has more drag.
So it's pretty much purely down to engine power?

Alexf1
Alexf1

I think the 2020 power level is not in line any more with the most efficient aero range of the car. Sleeker aero is needed.

wowgr8
wowgr8

Alexf1 wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 12:15
I think its about TD/018-20. On motorsport.com theres an article about the 3 TDs. This one is about ERS sensor for monitoring power and energy. Limitation of frequency on demand of power in order to prevent distortions of measurements being taken by FIA sensors. My take on this is that the FIA has been asleep for too long and has taken all Ferraris engine sweets of the last 2-3 years away in 1 clean sweep. No wonder FIA is fine with a secret agreement. This is huge.
I doubt the ERS issue was "cheating" the way the fuel flow one was. The FIA thoroughly scrutineered the engine/batteries throughout 2018 and found nothing (they also put a second sensor still nothing). This one must've been more of a loophole that they decided to close for this year

dodds_turbo

Dee wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 12:42
Alexf1 wrote:
Dee wrote:
So it's pretty much purely down to engine power?
Was it just me or were the Ferrari onboard video/audio (during the race) noticebly lower in tone or revs? It didn't sound like they were hitting the same max RPM as others.

Alakshendra

I asked the similar question in other thread but wanted to confirm a few things

Talking in general terms engine power is dependent on few things like combustion , compression ratio, hot air supply for ignition temperature and avoid incomplete combustion and then comes the design of engine size of cylinder shape of engine.

Now my question is how Ferrari destroyed their engine like this in a year , does they changed the whole design or what exactly they did, its very strange for me to understand.

The MGU-K and MGU-H (assuming they are not working at all) does gives gains of few HP in the end so that may create impact which will be very little but when the deficit is of 0.7 of sec per lap then what does they changed and how much.

Second part - is there no way to gain the lost time or the whole two years are now over for Ferrari?

LM10
LM10

Alexf1 wrote:
Dee wrote:
The current car has much more downforce. It surely has more drag as well.

Ringleheim
Ringleheim

LM10 wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 19:42
Alexf1 wrote:
Dee wrote:
The current car has much more downforce. It surely has more drag as well.
I think Ferrari got hit with a double-edged sword. First, they tried to address the aero deficiencies in last year's car by adding downforce and speed in the corners.

Second, their various tricks for making huge power, mostly stemming from getting oxygen enriched oil into the compression chamber through a variety of methods, were determined to be illegal.

So as the car becomes more "draggy" they also lose a lot of power.

On top of this, they continue to suffer from huge correlation problems that should not exist at a team of Ferrari's caliber.

It's all a big mess. This season will be a write-off, but that's OK.

If the new regulation car is another dog, there has to be a massive blood letting at Maranello, starting first and foremost with Binotto.

subcritical71

Ringleheim wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 20:13
On top of this, they continue to suffer from huge correlation problems that should not exist at a team of Ferrari's caliber.

It's all a big mess. This season will be a write-off, but that's OK.
I thought the same in 2011/2012 when they had 'correlation issues'. They still haven't fully recovered.