Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
etusch

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

Xwang wrote:
01 Dec 2020, 21:03
mika vs michael wrote:
01 Dec 2020, 16:23
Ferrari should keep a low profile...all those comments about a superfast engine etc...sounds like lesson not learned...
The internal name "Superfast" is not intended as "more powerful than others", but it indicates a faster combustion technology with respect to previous Ferrari F1 engines (which they hope will give better performance but could also not work at all).
according to my knowledge on the engines (I know there are many forumers who know much more than me :D ) superfast burning means most powerfull engine out there. 11k rpm and only 5.3 cm stroke needs very fast burning and precise timing. If you can burn fuel very fast you can use all of expension for pushing piston and this mean more power and very very good torqe which will help more mguk regenaration. More torqe can anable them to use lesser rpm instead of 11k with better fuel usage especially on race trim, lesser cooling which has many benefits.

wesley123

mika vs michael wrote:
01 Dec 2020, 16:23
Ferrari should keep a low profile...all those comments about a superfast engine etc...sounds like lesson not learned...
https://myautoworld.com/ferrari/cars/hi ... rfast.html

It's not a 'look our engine makes our car superfast'.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

FDD
FDD

According to ChronoGP Ferrari plans to increase the power of the engine for 50 HP.

LM10

FDD wrote:
19 Dec 2020, 22:26
According to ChronoGP Ferrari plans to increase the power of the engine for 50 HP.
That would be the approximate amount they lost from 2019 to 2020 and the difference they had to Mercedes in 2020.
However, that’s only a rumor for now.

I wonder what made Ferrari change their mind and accept a possible engine freeze already in 2022 instead of 2023. Maybe they think they’ve found something.

godlameroso

FDD wrote:
So it would be 2019 power + ~10hp. That would mean Ferrari would essentially gain 1.6 seconds over 2020, or about half a second over 2019, or dead even with 2020 Mercedes. Ferrari claimed their chassis was .5 seconds faster because of the aero, but it lost over a second from the engine. So to regain that, plus a bit on top, and if they improve the chassis despite the downforce sapping regulations, then they should take a nice jump forward.

Mercedes is claiming to bring 30hp and this year's engine could certainly match 2019 Ferrari. So power unit gap will be roughly 20hp or just over what Honda was missing to Mercedes this year. Possibly less, possibly more.
Saishū kōnā

FDD
FDD

godlameroso wrote:
21 Dec 2020, 23:35
FDD wrote:
So it would be 2019 power + ~10hp. That would mean Ferrari would essentially gain 1.6 seconds over 2020, or about half a second over 2019, or dead even with 2020 Mercedes. Ferrari claimed their chassis was .5 seconds faster because of the aero, but it lost over a second from the engine. So to regain that, plus a bit on top, and if they improve the chassis despite the downforce sapping regulations, then they should take a nice jump forward.

Mercedes is claiming to bring 30hp and this year's engine could certainly match 2019 Ferrari. So power unit gap will be roughly 20hp or just over what Honda was missing to Mercedes this year. Possibly less, possibly more.
According to some GPS data Ferrari was about 45 HP over MERC last year (in party mode, Ferrari's name for this is K1 or K2 if I am right) and this year they were 45 HP down on MERC in peak power, also according to GPS data. I think (not sure) that MERC gain this year about 20 HP so Ferrari lost about 70 HP in respect to their power from 2019. Keep on mind that this data is questionable, but possibly pretty accurate especially when I remember the moments of racing Leclearc-Hamilton in Monza on the main straight last year, Hamilton can not overtake him even with DRS enabled.

godlameroso

FDD wrote:
22 Dec 2020, 00:39
godlameroso wrote:
FDD wrote:

According to some GPS data Ferrari was about 45 HP over MERC last year (in party mode, Ferrari's name for this is K1 or K2 if I am right) and this year they were 45 HP down on MERC in peak power, also according to GPS data. I think (not sure) that MERC gain this year about 20 HP so Ferrari lost about 70 HP in respect to their power from 2019. Keep on mind that this data is questionable, but possibly pretty accurate especially when I remember the moments of racing Leclearc-Hamilton in Monza on the main straight last year, Hamilton can not overtake him even with DRS enabled.
20-30hp seems to be about right for Mercedes gains over 2019-2020, and they're expected to bring another 20-30hp next year.

If you're right and Ferrari were 45hp down on Mercedes in 2020, and they gain 50, that means they'll be missing 10-20hp, or roughly the deficit that Honda had to Mercedes this year, BUT, the Ferrari chassis does not have the same level of downforce as the Red Bull or Mercedes yet. They will have to bank on that to close the gap, and their one engine upgrade in season.

They should improve nicely, and they'll probably be fast on some tracks but not so fast on others. A 50hp gain would be around .6-.7 second improvement all else equal, that would have put them on the front row at Eifel GP but third row at Monza.
Saishū kōnā

ryaan2904

godlameroso wrote:
FDD wrote:

Actually, no.
Mercedes is only bringing an intake upgrade and more focusing towards engine reliability and cooling. The goal is not so much about outright bhp count of the engine, but to increase the variability and reliability of the engine.
So I'd say 20 bhp, 25 if you are optimistic. But the engine will be more reliable, as in, its effectiveness under different race conditions will be improved.
CFD Eyes of Sauron

LM10

ryaan2904 wrote:
22 Dec 2020, 08:12
godlameroso wrote:
FDD wrote:

Actually, no.
Mercedes is only bringing an intake upgrade and more focusing towards engine reliability and cooling. The goal is not so much about outright bhp count of the engine, but to increase the variability and reliability of the engine.
So I'd say 20 bhp, 25 if you are optimistic. But the engine will be more reliable, as in, its effectiveness under different race conditions will be improved.
20-25 hp would be quite a big gain for their goal not being hp count. So if it was true they’re focusing on reliability your gut feeling about the figures would be unrealistic in my opinion.

I guess what’s meant is that instead of gaining hp they’ll focus on reliability in order to be able to use significantly more power throughout the race. Since party mode rule was changed they might have changed their PU upgrade approach as well.

May I ask which source you have this from, btw?

ryaan2904

LM10 wrote:
22 Dec 2020, 08:50
ryaan2904 wrote:
22 Dec 2020, 08:12
godlameroso wrote:

Actually, no.
20-25 hp would be quite a big gain for their goal not being hp count. So if it was true they’re focusing on reliability your gut feeling about the figures would be unrealistic in my opinion.

I guess what’s meant is that instead of gaining hp they’ll focus on reliability in order to be able to use significantly more power throughout the race. Since party mode rule was changed they might have changed their PU upgrade approach as well.

May I ask which source you have this from, btw?
I read an article from motorsport.com, I'm sure, back in Oct/November. There is a mention of this on Chronogp too. Now, I doubt a lot of things which motorsport.com says is true, but seeing Merc's 2020 season, we can definitely say that mercs need to address their cooling issues. Also, those MGU K failures towards the end of the season will be worrying for Mercedes. This year was 17 races, the next will be 23. Mercedes cannot go into 2021 with cooling And reliability issues.
CFD Eyes of Sauron

Big Tea

FDD wrote:
22 Dec 2020, 00:39
godlameroso wrote:
FDD wrote:

This calculation is against the perceived Merc engine this year. No one has been breathing down their neck, so have they implamented any of the tweaks they have undoubtedly found through the season? I would be surprised if they did not have a lump of performance in the draw that could be pulled out in a very short time, and be there for next years engine to be considered, without what they will find through the winter. Ferari should be aiming at 70 if they want to run infront of Merc, Is that do-able?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

MachineCo.

I believe it should be doable. They came into this season with a hastily put together engine due to the late reg changes at the end of last year and couldn't implement any updates due first to the covid lockdown and then to the engine freeze. Next year's engine should have all the tricks meant for this year plus any new tech already planned for next year. If they can't increase HP by at least 70HP over this year's engine, I'd bet on closer to 80, then they're not going to be near the top end of the grid.

LM10

MachineCo. wrote:
22 Dec 2020, 19:18
I believe it should be doable. They came into this season with a hastily put together engine due to the late reg changes at the end of last year and couldn't implement any updates due first to the covid lockdown and then to the engine freeze. Next year's engine should have all the tricks meant for this year plus any new tech already planned for next year. If they can't increase HP by at least 70HP over this year's engine, I'd bet on closer to 80, then they're not going to be near the top end of the grid.
Binotto told that he believes the Ferrari PU is going to be behind Mercedes, but in front of Honda and Renault.

And overall they’re aiming for 3rd in the constructor’s championship. Obviously it’s unrealistic beating Redbull and Mercedes, but they know that themselves and aren’t desperately trying to go for it.

tangodjango

MachineCo. wrote:
So a team that wasn't capable of legally (according to FIA) matching Mercedes in 2018 and Mercedes/Honda in 2019 will suddenly after years of under-investing on the 'legal' development side of things pull 80 hp out over one year. Are you seriously claiming this?
“Hamilton’s talent is perhaps even more than that of Ayrton or Schumacher or Fernando." - Rubens Barrichello

tangodjango

LM10 wrote:
22 Dec 2020, 21:14
MachineCo. wrote:
Binotto told that he believes the Ferrari PU is going to be behind Mercedes, but in front of Honda and Renault.

And overall they’re aiming for 3rd in the constructor’s championship. Obviously it’s unrealistic beating Redbull and Mercedes, but they know that themselves and aren’t desperately trying to go for it.
I believe that quote should be interpreted with regards to this year's power levels. Binotto has no way of knowing how much of an upgrade either of Honda/Renault will bring next year and to be honest both Honda/Renault's development work since 2018 looks mighty impressive compared to Ferrari in hindsight considering they have plenty of time in ironing out and optimising what they have been working on for years as opposed to a new development program which Ferrari are bringing and which will in all likelihood have teething issues.
“Hamilton’s talent is perhaps even more than that of Ayrton or Schumacher or Fernando." - Rubens Barrichello