Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
User avatar
hUirEYExbN
4
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:30 pm

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

Mr.G wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:18 am
Just look at the diagram at the end of technical regulations...
EDIT:
- APPENDIX 3: POWER UNIT ENERGY FLOW
- https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files ... -03-05.pdf
It doesn't leave much for interpretation.
Image

User avatar
subcritical71
99
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:04 pm
Location: USA-Florida

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

I just mentioned this paper I stumbled upon in the Honda PU thread, it was co-contributed by a Ferrari Power Unit and Control Strategies group member. Its more about gearshift strategies but gives a lot of light to the different considerations that are taken when establishing the overall energy strategy. Many of the topics covered in the various PU threads.
Our results show that the energy consumption budgets not only influence the fuel mass flow and electric boosting operation, but also the gearshift strategy and the low-level engine operation, e.g., the intake manifold pressure evolution, the air-to-fuel ratio or the turbine waste-gate position.
I thought some of you may be interested in taking a look...

FDD
FDD
12
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:08 am

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

"In terms of performance, let's expect a small leap in the power unit: it seems that after the bench tests a new engine oil has been approved that will be used in Italy GP."

User avatar
godlameroso
514
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:27 pm
Location: Miami FL

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

Avocado oil! :D
Saishū kōnā

Xwang
Xwang
33
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:12 am

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

FDD wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:08 pm
"In terms of performance, let's expect a small leap in the power unit: it seems that after the bench tests a new engine oil has been approved that will be used in Italy GP."
Maybe I'm wrong, but I remember that only a specification of gasoline and oil is admitted from this year by the rules. Did Italian F1 journalists report another fake news when they spoke bout that new rule?
I'm still learning English so please excuse me if my English is not good enough and feel free to correct me via PM if you want.

FDD
FDD
12
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:08 am

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

Xwang wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:39 pm
FDD wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:08 pm
"In terms of performance, let's expect a small leap in the power unit: it seems that after the bench tests a new engine oil has been approved that will be used in Italy GP."
Maybe I'm wrong, but I remember that only a specification of gasoline and oil is admitted from this year by the rules. Did Italian F1 journalists report another fake news when they spoke bout that new rule?
I am not 100% sure, but I think new specs are allowed.

nemanja
nemanja
4
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:31 pm

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

FDD wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:09 pm
Xwang wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:39 pm
FDD wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:08 pm
"In terms of performance, let's expect a small leap in the power unit: it seems that after the bench tests a new engine oil has been approved that will be used in Italy GP."
Maybe I'm wrong, but I remember that only a specification of gasoline and oil is admitted from this year by the rules. Did Italian F1 journalists report another fake news when they spoke bout that new rule?
I am not 100% sure, but I think new specs are allowed.
You are allowed one oil upgrade through the season.
They will have to use that oil until the end of 2021.

DoctorRadio
DoctorRadio
1
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:43 pm

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

The new engine oil has disappeared from motorsport.it; they will use a more aggressive mapping for the PU.

User avatar
ispano6
320
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:56 pm
Location: my playseat

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

godlameroso wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:32 pm
Avocado oil! :D
Fish(y) oil ;)

edit: hah, down votes from a touchy person.
Last edited by ispano6 on Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
godlameroso
514
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:27 pm
Location: Miami FL

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

ispano6 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:36 pm
godlameroso wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:32 pm
Avocado oil! :D
Fish(y) oil ;)
What type of fish? Because oil from polar latitude fish would be unsuitable, it would have to be equatorial fish, or some sort of volcanic type of mollusk.
Saishū kōnā

User avatar
ispano6
320
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:56 pm
Location: my playseat

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

godlameroso wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:54 pm
ispano6 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:36 pm
godlameroso wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:32 pm
Avocado oil! :D
Fish(y) oil ;)
What type of fish? Because oil from polar latitude fish would be unsuitable, it would have to be equatorial fish, or some sort of volcanic type of mollusk.
Salmon oil and sardine oil can be used to make biodisel. Anchovy oil as well but I would prefer it as vietnamese dipping sauce. Sesame oil too has been looked at as biodiesel. Ferrari's engine smelled like a kerosene camp fire lamp, it was kind of bizarre, but it would be funny if it smelled like a vietnamese or chinese restaurant ;)

User avatar
PlatinumZealot
528
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

Kerosene smell could be some high density medium-chain hydrocarbon (of consistent chain lengths) to promote more unifrom combustion.
.. ... ... ... ...

User avatar
godlameroso
514
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:27 pm
Location: Miami FL

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:49 pm
Kerosene smell could be some high density medium-chain hydrocarbon (of consistent chain lengths) to promote more unifrom combustion.
Butylene is better, that upper cylinder lubricant stuff burns clean too.
Saishū kōnā

blinds0r
blinds0r
0
Joined: Tue May 18, 2021 10:56 pm

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

It can be car filtering through the legit sources and the garbage, and I thought this would be a good place to ask. Obviously it's hard to know for sure, but has it been confirmed that Ferrari did NOT introduce the split turbo design this year, with the plans to introduce it for 2022 right before the freeze?

User avatar
F1NAC
176
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:35 pm
Location: CRO

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

blinds0r wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 10:59 pm
It can be car filtering through the legit sources and the garbage, and I thought this would be a good place to ask. Obviously it's hard to know for sure, but has it been confirmed that Ferrari did NOT introduce the split turbo design this year, with the plans to introduce it for 2022 right before the freeze?
Go couple of pages back, there were just rumors generated from media that Ferrari will have split turbo. Nothing officialy from Ferrari came out regarding split turbo layout.

Here is the picture with cover off. You can see that airduct is still going towards rear (compressor inlet)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ewc_6sfWQAQbXVj?format=jpg