Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
bill shoe

Re: Ferrari Power Unit

Many previous seasons have been spent talking about how Ferrari never pushes the boundaries of the rules. They kept turning out workmanlike by-the-spirit-of-the-rules cars & engines and they kept getting their butts kicked. This year we're only arguing about how many and what shenanigans are going on at Ferrari. They've learned what is necessary to make wickedly quick cars! No excuses for engine power, etc.! Good!

Sucks to see the points debacles at recent races, but I'd much rather see that than see another season where they had little more than midfield pace!

MrPotatoHead

PlatinumZealot wrote:
17 Oct 2017, 01:01
Yes. Very involved. He sold Sassi the hose crimp set. :mrgreen:
F1 grade stuff.
Joke all you like. Doesn't bother me, nor change the facts :D

ringo

Mr. Potato,
I take it you fabricate the carbon pieces. Air boxes and tanks?
For Sure!!

MrPotatoHead

ringo wrote:
17 Oct 2017, 06:44
Mr. Potato,
I take it you fabricate the carbon pieces. Air boxes and tanks?
I cannot give details I’m afraid.

godlameroso

He knows a fair bit about heads, manifolds maybe.
Saishū kōnā

PlatinumZealot

MrPotatoHead wrote:
17 Oct 2017, 06:11
PlatinumZealot wrote:
F1 grade stuff.
Ok. I will have another guess. Your use of the word "involved" is very unusual. Normally an engineer's hubris leads him to use more specific words, like: "I helped/had a hand in design." or "I was a part of the team that did." The word Involved sounds like you either, had some indirect input, did a crime, or you had an affair with someone. haha
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

MrPotatoHead

PlatinumZealot wrote:
17 Oct 2017, 21:06
MrPotatoHead wrote:
17 Oct 2017, 06:11
PlatinumZealot wrote:
F1 grade stuff.
Ok. I will have another guess. Your use of the word "involved" is very unusual. Normally an engineer's hubris leads him to use more specific words, like: "I helped/had a hand in design." or "I was a part of the team that did." The word Involved sounds like you either, had some indirect input, did a crime, or you had an affair with someone. haha
Hahaha that had me cracking up. Good job :D
My words are deliberately vague. If you have NDAs in place you will understand. One must be careful what is said.

roon

ripper wrote:
12 Oct 2017, 10:31
Some rumors about Ferrari's PU

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferra ... he-964570/

- Spark plug failure might be the consequence of something else
- Sassi started together with AVL an ambitious plan for 2018 PU: to design a reliable PU with 50 more HP
- This new PU started to had reliability issues on test bench, the failures didn't happen during longevity tests, but much earlier (much less than 5 GP)
- Original plan was to adopt an "earlier version" (or the same version, i'm not 100% sure) of 2018 PU as 2017 EVO4 engine, because 2018 PU should have lasted much more than the 5 GP needed for 2017
- This plan was changed because this new PU didn't match required reliability checks, so they adopted a "plan B"
- EVO4 is a kind of EVO3bis, with some extremized concepts that could have reduced reliability
- Motorsport hasn't any information about Suzuka's problem causes: they don't know if the cracked were created by more turbo pressure or if less oil burnt gave this problem.
- It is possible that engine failures happen after Q2 and Q3 because qualy mode with less oil (and thus less antidetonators) stresses too much the engine and it is possible that the spark plug was "dirtied"
If this wasn't solely a QC issue, perhaps they are exploring ever higher charge pressures. Where can development go for leaner and leaner charges?

Or, could the aero benefit of higher exhaust flows, hot or cold, be something to consider here?

wuzak

roon wrote:
21 Oct 2017, 00:35
ripper wrote:
12 Oct 2017, 10:31
Some rumors about Ferrari's PU

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferra ... he-964570/

- Spark plug failure might be the consequence of something else
- Sassi started together with AVL an ambitious plan for 2018 PU: to design a reliable PU with 50 more HP
- This new PU started to had reliability issues on test bench, the failures didn't happen during longevity tests, but much earlier (much less than 5 GP)
- Original plan was to adopt an "earlier version" (or the same version, i'm not 100% sure) of 2018 PU as 2017 EVO4 engine, because 2018 PU should have lasted much more than the 5 GP needed for 2017
- This plan was changed because this new PU didn't match required reliability checks, so they adopted a "plan B"
- EVO4 is a kind of EVO3bis, with some extremized concepts that could have reduced reliability
- Motorsport hasn't any information about Suzuka's problem causes: they don't know if the cracked were created by more turbo pressure or if less oil burnt gave this problem.
- It is possible that engine failures happen after Q2 and Q3 because qualy mode with less oil (and thus less antidetonators) stresses too much the engine and it is possible that the spark plug was "dirtied"
If this wasn't solely a QC issue, perhaps they are exploring ever higher charge pressures. Where can development go for leaner and leaner charges?

Or, could the aero benefit of higher exhaust flows, hot or cold, be something to consider here?
I seem to remember Ferrari talking about reducing charge pressure this year so they could recover more energy from the MGUH.

PlatinumZealot

Reduced charge pressure requirement can also be due to improved engine flow so I tend to agree with that.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

F1NAC

Is it only me or did Raikkonen yesterday highrevved his engine? I mean his revs sounded really high at every gear change (in battle with Lewis)

PlatinumZealot

Toto said the Mercedes and Ferrari were giving it the full beans (qualifying mode) for the last four laps or so.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Sevach

For once i believe him, Raikkonen was certainly performing well up the hill.

f1316

Not a hugely detailed insight but something I find surprising from Vasseur at Sauber:

“the engine was 2016, but the handicap was only a couple of tenths.”

Of course there are plenty of possible reasons for him to say that - e.g. for any step they do make not to solely be attributed to the engine - but could it really be true that a PU only improves a couple of tenths in an entire year? Seems unlikely based on the effort and budget Ferrari dedicate to this.

GhostF1

And we have the first fire up of the 2018 Ferrari PU!

https://twitter.com/ScuderiaFerrari/sta ... 8170407936