Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
F1NAC

Re: Ferrari Power Unit

As Scarbs mentioned on twitter its from crankcase breather. Teams used burned oil to guide towards airbox, for this year they need to ensure that all oil that is burning is coming from the rear crash structure

picture from his drivetribe site.

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

F1NAC wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 10:57
As Scarbs mentioned on twitter its from crankcase breather. Teams used burned oil to guide towards airbox, for this year they need to ensure that all oil that is burning is coming from the rear crash structure

https://drivetribe.imgix.net/XyyRVOiFQv ... aces,edges

picture from his drivetribe site.
I seriously cannot believe that it is oily fumes

Sieper

I can :) I posted that expectation yesterday when the pictures were posted. So last year these fumes went straight into the plenum (with additives to have the gasoline burn butter, less knock etc.) via a special valve that could be opened for that via the software. Said to have given 20 extra horses. And it seems that although it is now outlawed to have any fumes enter he plenum in this way that Merc and Ferr have found another way to still achieve some benefit. Or at least Horners has said the oil clampdown was not strict enough.

outsid3r

Sieper wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 12:36
I can :) I posted that expectation yesterday when the pictures were posted. So last year these fumes went straight into the plenum (with additives to have the gasoline burn butter, less knock etc.) via a special valve that could be opened for that via the software. Said to have given 20 extra horses. And it seems that although it is now outlawed to have any fumes enter he plenum in this way that Merc and Ferr have found another way to still achieve some benefit. Or at least Horners has said the oil clampdown was not strict enough.
Ok, hypothetical thought... Is there any rule restricting where the engine can breath air from? If not, would it make sense having the turbine suck a tiny amount of air from above the crash structure just underneath the ducktail?

outsid3r wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 13:18

Ok, hypothetical thought... Is there any rule restricting where the engine can breath air from? If not, would it make sense having the turbine suck a tiny amount of air from above the crash structure just underneath the ducktail?
5.14.1 With the exception of incidental leakage through joints or cooling ducts in the inlet system (either into or out of the system), all air entering the engine must enter the bodywork through a maximum of two inlets which are located:

a) Between the front of the cockpit entry template and a point 500mm forward of the rear wheel centre line longitudinally.
b) No less than 200mm above the reference plane vertically.
c) On vertical cross-sections parallel to C-C.

outsid3r

1158 wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 13:26
outsid3r wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 13:18

5.14.1 With the exception of incidental leakage through joints or cooling ducts in the inlet system (either into or out of the system), all air entering the engine must enter the bodywork through a maximum of two inlets which are located:

a) Between the front of the cockpit entry template and a point 500mm forward of the rear wheel centre line longitudinally.
b) No less than 200mm above the reference plane vertically.
c) On vertical cross-sections parallel to C-C.
:D thats a no then...

Sieper

I am also curious to see how they will now work around it (if still possible at all) but also this (the pre 2018 solution of the crankcase breatherpipe allow oils with additives in them being recycled back into the plenum) solution I only knew off (understood what they did) after it was told post the 2017 season by analysts so I am sure they have some tricks up their sleeves again.

Other than engine sump breather gases, exhaust gas recirculation, and fuel for the normal
purpose of combustion in the engine, the spraying of any substance into the engine intake air
is forbidden.
7.9 Oil injection
The use of active control valves between any part of the PU and the engine intake air is
forbidden.
That tells me you can still run a PCV setup with a passive check valve. You would need to figure out a way to induce a vacuum condition in the intake to get the additives out of the crankcase and into the engine. I'm sure they have...

About this:
7.9 Oil injection
The use of active control valves between any part of the PU and the engine intake air is
forbidden.
What if the variable intake trumpets were used to block/open the feed for the breather line. It would mean having 6 lines, but would it be legal?

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

So whats the conclusion about the smokey steam?

gambler
gambler

Thats messed up...back to oiling down the track again? ...Maybe a possibility of some strange oil that condensates moisture in the crankcase on humid days (as testing was) . Then maybe these pics were taken early in the run, as it burned off?

MrPotatoHead

Don’t forget it has been very cold there during testing, they had snow after all, so you could just be seeing more condensation than we are used to seeing.

MrPotatoHead

1158 wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 14:10
About this:
7.9 Oil injection
forbidden.
What if the variable intake trumpets were used to block/open the feed for the breather line. It would mean having 6 lines, but would it be legal?
I would call that an active control device.

giantfan10
giantfan10

Sieper wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 12:36
Horner was reffering to the fact that all these new restrictions are for the race and their are no such restrictions for qualifying.
IMHO nothing will change...oil will be burnt in quali and not in the race just like for the last couple years.

Sieper

Aaah, Yes, you could be very right, (plussed you) indeed that is indeed likely why Horner stressed it. but how? The trick was to use the oil damps in the carter (with the for the fuel outlawed additives in them) to be brought into the plenum via a pipe. It is no longer allowed to have anything else but air and fuel in the plenum this year isn’t it? Or do you mean they might not measure it strict enough? Or still Some other way to sneak the oil with its additives into the cilinders?

I do feel this needs to be clamped down on, fuel may not have additives per regulation, using the oil trick has now gone on long enough. Time for more battle for start row 1 and 2.