Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
JonoNic

Re: Ferrari Power Unit

shady wrote:So the whole vent under the crash structure isnt the actual vent... theres a clear tube that the oil vapor is expelled from..

So this begs the question... why the crash structure vent, rather why is it so wide? Is it possible theres an intake path to the compressor? As the oil vapor is 'expelled' its sucked back in.. still 'following' the rules.
Would the team want to affect such an aero sensitive area by using the vent as an intake?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Always find the gap then use it.

George-Jung
George-Jung

Wouldn’t that help sucking the air out under the diffuser?

*not that I believe this is the case here.

outsid3r

JonoNic wrote:
15 Mar 2018, 21:35
shady wrote:So the whole vent under the crash structure isnt the actual vent... theres a clear tube that the oil vapor is expelled from..

So this begs the question... why the crash structure vent, rather why is it so wide? Is it possible theres an intake path to the compressor? As the oil vapor is 'expelled' its sucked back in.. still 'following' the rules.
Would the team want to affect such an aero sensitive area by using the vent as an intake?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Had the same idea on the SF17-H topic, but quoting another member on this forum - the area where the engine is allowed to suck in air is limited to just behind the driver, so no this would be against the rules apparently

djones
djones

giantfan10 wrote:
15 Mar 2018, 11:43
Sieper wrote:
15 Mar 2018, 11:03
And they won’t, and even If they do, they won’t get punished (like last year). Yes I too think oil burning is still not off the table.
I'm absolutely amazed at how Ferrari suddenly became the poster child for oil burning when it is Mercedes who has been burning oil since 2014.

Very sorry, but there is not a single bit of evidence to say Mercedes did any kind of oil burning.

Ferrari are the ones who had extra oil tanks and ex staff telling the world their oil burning secrets.

After the tank was removed and extra restrictions were placed on the oil, Ferrari all of a sudden lost about .5 of a second to Mercedes!! Mercedes were just as fast as normal.

It was Ferrari and only Ferrari burning oil.

LM10
LM10

djones wrote:
16 Mar 2018, 11:12

Do you actually believe in what you're saying there? :wtf:

santos
santos

djones wrote:
giantfan10 wrote:
Sieper wrote:
15 Mar 2018, 11:03
And they won’t, and even If they do, they won’t get punished (like last year). Yes I too think oil burning is still not off the table.
I'm absolutely amazed at how Ferrari suddenly became the poster child for oil burning when it is Mercedes who has been burning oil since 2014.

Very sorry, but there is not a single bit of evidence to say Mercedes did any kind of oil burning.

Ferrari are the ones who had extra oil tanks and ex staff telling the world their oil burning secrets.

After the tank was removed and extra restrictions were placed on the oil, Ferrari all of a sudden lost about .5 of a second to Mercedes!! Mercedes were just as fast as normal.

"Mercedes will be allowed to run its latest Formula 1 engine, introduced at the Belgian Grand Prix, at a higher level of oil burn for the remainder of the season.
With a new oil burn limit of 0.9 litres per 100km coming into force at the Italian Grand Prix, Mercedes pre-empted that cut-off point by bringing its fourth and final engine in to play at Spa-Francorchamps last weekend.
According to an FIA technical directive issued in July, engines introduced before Monza would be allowed to run at an oil burn level of 1.2 litres per 100km." - yeah NORMAL fast.

djones
djones

LM10 wrote:
16 Mar 2018, 11:25
djones wrote:

Do you actually have one bit of evidence to prove otherwise?

marvin78
marvin78

djones wrote:
16 Mar 2018, 12:02
LM10 wrote:
16 Mar 2018, 11:25
djones wrote:

Do you actually have one bit of evidence to prove otherwise?
Why. It's much more probable. So prove for the improbable would be necessary ;)

Mr.G

santos wrote:
16 Mar 2018, 11:52
djones wrote:
giantfan10 wrote:

"Mercedes will be allowed to run its latest Formula 1 engine, introduced at the Belgian Grand Prix, at a higher level of oil burn for the remainder of the season.
With a new oil burn limit of 0.9 litres per 100km coming into force at the Italian Grand Prix, Mercedes pre-empted that cut-off point by bringing its fourth and final engine in to play at Spa-Francorchamps last weekend.
According to an FIA technical directive issued in July, engines introduced before Monza would be allowed to run at an oil burn level of 1.2 litres per 100km." - yeah NORMAL fast.
I would give you +2 if possible :D
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

Jokeri
Jokeri

Godius wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 22:24
Jokeri wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 21:20
Sieper wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 18:54
Ferrari did try it with a separate oil tank mid last year (rumoured) this got removed, allegedly after Mercedes inquired (but no further punishment, other the not having the preferred system available anymore). I don’t think separate individual oil tanks are allowed.
How does Mercedes know what Ferrari tests?
According to AMuS during pre-season testing 16/17 Mercedes was already a bit suspicious when when Ferrari asked for clarification of a technical directive regarding the possibility to use 2 different types of oil specifications.

Mercedes began gathering intelligence by analysing gps-data to compare the difference in speed of the Ferrari in qualifying and in race trim. After the Canadian Grand Prix it became very clear that Ferrari had an abnormal amount of boost on the long straights in qualifying. This lead to the Mercedes inquiry regarding the 2nd oil tank. It turned out that the additional oil tank was there since Melbourne.

Christian Horner (via sky sports) said that additional intelligence was gathered by an ex-Ferrari engineer that moved to the Mercedes team in 2017. But I have doubts about what Horner stated.
Thanks for that!

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

This years smoking Ferrari:

They could be running NO oil rings
Last edited by johnny comelately on 17 Mar 2018, 14:03, edited 1 time in total.

irsq4
irsq4

Only ""oil burning" is mentioned and related to Ferrari. Maybe all manufacturers are using water and or gasoline vapors to increase C-pressure or add more fuel.
On large stationary Diesel engines we had separators of water vapor on charge coolers, because of lower fuel consumption.

I didn't read techn. regulations related to this, but it wouldn't be big problem to reuse vapors.

BTW.I still can't believe that Mercedes still has such huge engine performance advantage after 4 years (acc. to what is presented in media).

giantfan10
giantfan10

irsq4 wrote:
17 Mar 2018, 11:20
Only ""oil burning" is mentioned and related to Ferrari. Maybe all manufacturers are using water and or gasoline vapors to increase C-pressure or add more fuel.
On large stationary Diesel engines we had separators of water vapor on charge coolers, because of lower fuel consumption.

I didn't read techn. regulations related to this, but it wouldn't be big problem to reuse vapors.

BTW.I still can't believe that Mercedes still has such huge engine performance advantage after 4 years (acc. to what is presented in media).
Mercedes has been burning oil....PERIOD....
I'm even more amazed that there are people still thinking otherwise.
Why would Wolff try to convince fans and the media last year that Mercedes introducing an engine early to keep taking advantage of the higher oil burn allowance wouldn't matter because Mercedes was going to BURN LESS OIL to adhere to the new rule even though they did not have to? ...
What am I missing here? Why are there still F1 fans convinced that Mercedes didn't burn oil since 2014?....
Is it because SKY sports choses to pretend that Ferrari will be the only team affected by the new oil burn limits?
IMHO Mercedes designed their engine from conception to burn oil and no other team could figure out where the extra power came from and when they did there was absolutely nothing they could do about it because of the draconian engine rules.
Those rules were abolished for the 2017 season and Ferrari took advantage of them and joined the oil burning club....Renault not so much.
Ferrari took it one step further and fitted a separate oil tank which in theory would allow them to burn more oil or whatever fluid they chose since that fluid would in theory not be needed to lubricate the engine and was completely separate .
Mercedes who I believe was reintroducing oil through the air intake system from their regular oil tank saw the massive potential in the Ferrari design and requested clarification which pretty much shut that down.

zac510
zac510

giantfan10 wrote:
17 Mar 2018, 12:22
Mercedes has been burning oil....PERIOD....
I'm even more amazed that there are people still thinking otherwise.
Why would Wolff try to convince fans and the media last year that Mercedes introducing an engine early to keep taking advantage of the higher oil burn allowance wouldn't matter because Mercedes was going to BURN LESS OIL to adhere to the new rule even though they did not have to? ...
What am I missing here?
If I had my final engine ready to run (ie parts made) at the time the FIA changed the rules, I would take the new engine at that point too. In the event I had some kind of engine issue that caused it to use more oil, it would be safe to race with. Even if they're not burning oil for performance, you will have the exact same engine with a greater oil use allowance with the only disadvantage being changing the engine rotation schedule.

What you are missing is that correlation is not causation.
Last edited by zac510 on 17 Mar 2018, 17:30, edited 1 time in total.

PhillipM
PhillipM

If anything it became even more dominant over the Ferrari power unit when oil burning was limited.