Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
ringo

Re: Renault V6 Power Unit

A lot of heat under the side pods there. In a turbo failur, you will no doubt turn the oil tank into a bomb. :lol:
For Sure!!

roon
roon

Well, Ross Brawn did call for more spectacle. :D Heat dilution combustion, insulated pipes (the norm), and internal aero should make heat manageable. But as godlameroso said, the formula well limits solutions to what's already been seen. Renault's rumored changes probably not related to straying from the norm in terms of general layout.

If you threw CoG concerns out the window, the MGUH-Turbocharger complex could be raised up higher to give the inlets and outlets a straight shot from the roll hoop to the exhaust exit.

Mansell89
Mansell89

Guys has anyone heard any rumours/estimates of what Renault hope to bring to the table this year in terms of BHP?

It’s all gone quiet over the numbers this pre-season!

Any articles I have read tend to point towards reliability focus, and that the main architecture remains the same. Hopefully that is a boost for reliability for both Renault and their customers, as they suffered a lot last season.

zack!
zack!

Seems that all the 2017 power was not completly unlocked due to heat in the PU in full power mode, causing reliability issue. I suppose they work on cooling and heat ditribution, and they also has fixed MGUH issue (related to a supplier if I recall correctly).

I think there is also small improvement in ICE, and new gasoline, bringing more HP. And a new "qualif mode" should also be developed. So probably an improvement in term of fatigue control and clock count (as do mercedes), so they can "safely" accept some "stressing period" on ICE. So all in one, should be a good step forward.

If we look at Boulier, alonso and cyril, declaration, it seems that alll in one, renault should be below, but close enough to fight for the win with the mercedes and ferrari, granted the chassis is top notch. But alonso and renault, are famous for their big mouths, so wait and see.

Vladimir
Vladimir

In interview with Jo Ramirez, there are speculations and promise from Renault and Prost that Mclaren in Melbourne will have same HP as last year Mercedes.

bauc

Vladimir wrote:
07 Feb 2018, 10:02
In interview with Jo Ramirez, there are speculations and promise from Renault and Prost that Mclaren in Melbourne will have same HP as last year Mercedes.
If is true, this might put Red Bull in very good position and Mclaren and Renault factory team as well will be very strong.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

mclaren111

bauc wrote:
07 Feb 2018, 10:48
Vladimir wrote:
If is true, this might put Red Bull in very good position and Mclaren and Renault factory team as well will be very strong.

I'm not so sure Renault will supply RBR with the "best" & "latest" PU. As we know RBR's contract with Renault ends this year.

Changes of Renault renewing the contract are very slim. Makes sense to work closer with McLaren for the next 3 years.

RBR could also pass information to Honda to help them speed up their progress.

Webber2011
Webber2011

bauc wrote:
Vladimir wrote:
It could also be bad for RBR too.
I have my doubts that Renault will be rushing any upgrades to them :lol: :lol: :lol:

restless
restless

Such behavior after "problems" which TR faced at end of 2017(fighting with renault...) will just cement the feelings that Renault are not good for engine supplier.
Being paid for engines and sabotaging the deal... its worse than what Mercedes is doing and on the edge of class action.
I don't think Liberty will be happy to get such "publicity"

Vladimir
Vladimir

First, RBR doesn't deserve any engine and I hope Renault will help McLaren to beat Aston Martin RBR (as they named now).
It is normal for Renault to distance themselves from customer who colaborate with Honda, Cosworth, Aston Martin.............bla bla bla for the future.
For Helmut Marco, Honda is ok, and he blame McLaren chasies for all problems, and also Alonso. Is that normal?

mclaren111

Webber2011 wrote:
07 Feb 2018, 13:56
bauc wrote:
Vladimir wrote:
It could also be bad for RBR too.
I have my doubts that Renault will be rushing any upgrades to them :lol: :lol: :lol:

Glad to see we are on the same page again !!

PS: Are you seeing Roger Waters while he is down your way ?? (Apologies for off topic)

Blackout

restless wrote:
07 Feb 2018, 14:22
Such behavior after "problems" which TR faced at end of 2017(fighting with renault...) will just cement the feelings that Renault are not good for engine supplier.
If that feeling exists, then it's based on BS because Renault is known to be a very good supplier (maybe even too good with its customers, sometimes) and because the problems STR and Renault faced in 2017 are mainly related to Renault's suppliers (turbo and/or Mguh) and STR not meeting the minimum PU cooling requirements.

Juzh

Blackout wrote:
07 Feb 2018, 16:23
STR not meeting the minimum PU cooling requirements.
Goes both ways. STR said cooling has been sufficient for the first part of the season and has no clue why it suddenly wouldn't be anymore in the 2nd part.

Vladimir
Vladimir

Renault 2017. PU had showen progres at the and of season. Even Verstapen dominant victory in Mexico , although factory team and TR had problems whith performance/reliability balance at high altitude. But Hulk performance at last race clearly show the progres of Renault PU.
Toro Roso car was compromised for 2017. PU and doesn't have internal cooling requires for continually power improving Renault PU.

Vladimir
Vladimir

Zak Brown told in interview that gains in simulator with data given by Renault is about 1 second, compared with last year car simulations.