Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
FPV GTHO
FPV GTHO

Re: Renault V6 Power Unit

Wouldnt the battery issues suggest theyre unable to harvest the 4MJ capacity under racing conditions?

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

FPV GTHO wrote:
01 May 2018, 12:26
Wouldnt the battery issues suggest theyre unable to harvest the 4MJ capacity under racing conditions?
It looks more like a deployment issue to me i.e. Renault are not yet at the same level, as Mercedes and Ferrari when it comes to coding the deployment parameters for the tracks in racing conditions. There could be a problem with the design of the battery cells of course but I think that's something Renault would pick up on quite quickly.

Looks like Renault are finally starting to catch up with Mercedes and Ferrari. Which is something I've been hoping for since Renault's problems emerged (same with Honda). Ideally I think as fans we'd want all of the manufacturers to be around the same performance levels to have a 4 way fight (one can dream).

FPV GTHO
FPV GTHO

Obviously though the more you can harvest, the easier it is to get the deployment right. Having the fast mapping whilst driving in isolation i would think is pretty straight forward. Perhaps they came undone running overtaking oriented mapping

BrunoH
BrunoH

to be fair i think they were just pressing the Overtake button for 2 long. the straight /last sector is full throttle for a long time

Juzh

taperoo2k wrote:
01 May 2018, 15:15
FPV GTHO wrote:
01 May 2018, 12:26
It looks more like a deployment issue to me i.e. Renault are not yet at the same level, as Mercedes and Ferrari when it comes to coding the deployment parameters for the tracks in racing conditions. There could be a problem with the design of the battery cells of course but I think that's something Renault would pick up on quite quickly.

Looks like Renault are finally starting to catch up with Mercedes and Ferrari. Which is something I've been hoping for since Renault's problems emerged (same with Honda). Ideally I think as fans we'd want all of the manufacturers to be around the same performance levels to have a 4 way fight (one can dream).
In this video you can check some end of straight speeds.

https://tinyurl.com/y8ev6k8c

ripper
ripper

Renault will bring a new fuel specification during Barcelona GP, McLaren will use it too. According to rumors this update should bring 0,1 sec/lap gain and will require new mapping

https://www.formulapassion.it/motorspor ... 81327.html

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

ripper wrote:
05 May 2018, 12:17
Renault will bring a new fuel specification during Barcelona GP, McLaren will use it too. According to rumors this update should bring 0,1 sec/lap gain and will require new mapping

Apart for the commercial reasons, wouldn't it hurt Mclaren switching fuel to Petrobras next year, or isn't it a big deal?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

ripper
ripper

Red Bull is using ExxonMobil and I don't see significant differences between them and other Renault powered cars. In same article there's written that RB will have another fuel specification in Monaco.

godlameroso

Ground Effect wrote:
05 May 2018, 13:46
ripper wrote:

Apart for the commercial reasons, wouldn't it hurt Mclaren switching fuel to Petrobras next year, or isn't it a big deal?
The downside to using new fuels and lubricants means you have to have dyno time to get the most out of the fuel. McLaren doesn't have to spend any effort to develop the engine or the fuel for it, they just use whatever Renault is using. Next year it's going to be harder for them running different fuel because they'll have to pay Renault for the additional dyno time to get the engine working with their fuel.
Saishū kōnā

the EDGE
the EDGE

godlameroso wrote:
05 May 2018, 17:54
Ground Effect wrote:
05 May 2018, 13:46
ripper wrote:

The downside to using new fuels and lubricants means you have to have dyno time to get the most out of the fuel. McLaren doesn't have to spend any effort to develop the engine or the fuel for it, they just use whatever Renault is using. Next year it's going to be harder for them running different fuel because they'll have to pay Renault for the additional dyno time to get the engine working with their fuel.
McLaren won’t pay anything, Petrobras will, and if they want to be in F1 then that’s just part of the cost of entry

Bill
Bill

Did Renault bring an updated mguk for Barcelona race

gandharva

Reliability concern delaying key Renault engine update
#-o

On the other hand... I'm not really surprised to read this.

Bill
Bill

They have working on this for three years Renault are a joke

yener

gandharva wrote:
18 May 2018, 11:22
#-o

So renault already started to make excuses for not updating the engine, or for their lack of reliability. I think Renault is done, if you can't find a way to improve your engine in almost 2 years... what can we say?
"Life is about passions - Thank you for sharing mine" MSC

mclaren111

yener wrote:
18 May 2018, 15:11
gandharva wrote:
18 May 2018, 11:22
#-o

So renault already started to make excuses for not updating the engine, or for their lack of reliability. I think Renault is done, if you can't find a way to improve your engine in almost 2 years... what can we say?

Misleading article. They - Renault - are refering to new MGU-K only.

They have an update for Canada.

Planet F1:
The news is sure to frustrate customers teams Red Bull and McLaren, but Renault are currently not seeing the right dyno figures come back with the MGU-K element of the power unit.

“It’s clear we have to work on the weight and this is one solution,” Renault Sport engine technical director Remi Taffin told Motorsport.com.

“That’s why we did not rush into running that solution. There is no clear target of when. I would more say when it’s ready we will get into it.

“It’s reliability, it’s being able to get that MGU-K running for what we need to run through.”

Renault are still planning to introduce a partial engine upgrade at the Canadian Grand Prix, which would be a third of the way through the 2018 season.