Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
AJI
AJI

Re: Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

Singabule wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 05:38
Wouter wrote:
13 Aug 2018, 13:09
In a interview yesterday on AMuS Abiteboul said:

How far is Renault in terms of performance still away from Mercedes and Ferrari?

Abiteboul: That's hard to express in numbers because everyone has different numbers. We believe that in the race we are still five to ten kilowatts behind Ferrari and Mercedes and between 20 and 30 kilowatts before Honda. It's a bit harder to quantify in qualifying. The chassis plays too big a role, and with Red Bull the comparison is unfair, because they lag behind in fuel development compared to us."
...five to ten kilowatts = 7 -13,5 HP behind Fer and Merc.
...between 20 and 30 kilowatts = 27 - 41 HP before Honda.

I don't belief that, maybe the other way around.

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... ricciardo/
20-30 kw behind honda? Impossible, i thougt they still 10kw stronger than honda, but with worse drivability
It's just a word for word translation. He says 'vor' Honda, literally 'before' Honda, contextually 'in front of' Honda

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

MtthsMlw

"At Renault we are more concerned about what's going on behind us, and therefore the risk of reliability, and an extra one tenth or two tenths is not going to make a difference because we are not going to catch Red Bull.

"Red Bull, they have nothing to worry about, nothing to lose, and that's why the sensitivity and the bias is slightly different."
I mean it sounds reasonable.

Morteza

MtthsMlw wrote:
25 Aug 2018, 14:44
"At Renault we are more concerned about what's going on behind us, and therefore the risk of reliability, and an extra one tenth or two tenths is not going to make a difference because we are not going to catch Red Bull.

"Red Bull, they have nothing to worry about, nothing to lose, and that's why the sensitivity and the bias is slightly different."
I agree, RB have nothing to lose you know. Their 3rd position is safe although it is going to piss their drivers so much if they get another DNF due to engine problems.
On the other hand it is still disappointing that they have a new spec engine, but are not going to race it due to reliability concerns. It really is frustrating that for some reason Renault can't get on top of their problems.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Mansell89
Mansell89

Does anyone have any confidence in Cyril and what he says?

Renault just cannot seem to get near Ferrari or Merc. Absolutely blown away again this weekend and no prospect of the go closing with pipeline upgrades shelved (again)!

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

MtthsMlw wrote:

How do you release an upgrade with reliability concerns? Surely you can't call it an upgrade if it's less reliable. Mercedes delayed their 2nd engine due to reliability concerns, but Renault make available a potentially more unreliable engine, only to their customers? Doesn't sound reasonable to me. If reliability is an issue, you put off the release of the engine.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

PhillipM
PhillipM

The point is you don't know if it's more reliable or not unless it's been run in the chassis for a long time. Why risk an unknown engine in the Renault car when they won't gain anything from it?

Big Tea

I get the feeling this goes something like ' Give us more power' Its not ready yet ' give us more power' we have not sorted reliability yet ' give us more power ' here, take it if you want, but we are not using it yet
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

lawnmower
lawnmower

Hahahahahaha :D This guy is JOKE.

lawnmower
lawnmower

"Incompetence made public and loud...
If I was RedBull I´d take it and run at max power to embarrass Rinoo once again in press conference
This relationship needs to end on a high note...k-boom!!
And this French twats were the ones that introduced turbos in F1...shame on them. Add to that Mecachrome ridiculous F2/LMP1 Engine, you have the perfect omelette of French incompetency."

jz11
jz11

Ground Effect wrote:
25 Aug 2018, 18:51
MtthsMlw wrote:

How do you release an upgrade with reliability concerns? Surely you can't call it an upgrade if it's less reliable. Mercedes delayed their 2nd engine due to reliability concerns, but Renault make available a potentially more unreliable engine, only to their customers? Doesn't sound reasonable to me. If reliability is an issue, you put off the release of the engine.
it is a power upgrade, but comes with a reliability risk, what is so difficult to understand? They themselves cannot risk reliability issues to secure the 4th place in WCC, but RB on the other hand have nothing to lose really, CA said before the break that they will take a more aggressive route in regards to engine development, something everyone expected couple years ago really, and now you're bashing him for it?

not the most elegant route of development especially this late in the cycle, I agree, but IMHO it is better than their previous approach

lawnmower
lawnmower

I'm not understand this guy.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/rena ... 97/?nrt=54

What do you talking about? :mrgreen:

“We are talking about a substantial amount of in-season development,” he said.

“It is more than the gap we have now, in my opinion, from the top teams, certainly in the race at least.

And Renault: 2018 engine upgrades bigger than current deficit ...
Abiteboul: new engine 0.1 second bla bla..

Big Tea

Showing signs of panic now the Honda is looking better
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

ivanlesk
ivanlesk

lawnmower wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 10:14

“It is more than the gap we have now, in my opinion, from the top teams, certainly in the race at least.

Well and I don't understand you or what is the point of this post.

lawnmower
lawnmower

ivanlesk wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 12:16
lawnmower wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 10:14

Well and I don't understand you or what is the point of this post.
Renault does not have the technology to compete in Formula 1. They really should go to NASCAR or GP2. They can not produce a Formula 1 engine.
They're just disgraceful.