Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
DarkSurferZA

Re: Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

roon wrote:
DarkSurferZA wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 19:22
the always-blowing Renault engine...
At least they've maintained one quality from their chamionship-winning years.
Hahaha, this was funny.

Sent from my SM-T815 using Tapatalk

Ground Effect

In 2016 Renault made big gains and seemed to be on the right path. But then they made significant changes to the layout for 2017 and have regressed on their rate of development. I wonder if that was a mistake on their part.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Morteza

Ground Effect wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 20:48
In 2016 Renault made big gains and seemed to be on the right path. But then they made significant changes to the layout for 2017 and have regressed on their rate of development. I wonder if that was a mistake on their part.
I agree. They were so reliable too in 2016, even more than Mercedes.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

NL_Fer

Boah at the end of 2017 Renault was matching Ferrari/Mercedes on racing day. But after Canada they lost out again.

Singabule

roon wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 19:39
DarkSurferZA wrote:
Blowing vs. Blow - oops

DC2
DC2

roon wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 19:39
DarkSurferZA wrote:
Didn't the FIA allow Renualt to update their engine to close the power deficit to others during the engine freeze which in turn gave them a huge advantage with equal or more powers to others while consuming less fuel?

lio007

Do anybody of you think, that Exxon is doing a better job on fuels and lubricants than the worksteam's BP?
We often hear RBR about Exxon's products or Ferrari and Mercedes about theirs, but I have the impression Renault doesn't. But maybe I haven't recognized it...

Ground Effect

Renault Spec C worth 0.3secs around Monza, with right fuel etc etc. Which probably means it won't be worth 0.3secs with Red Bull. No offence, of this was Mercedes, Ferrari and even Honda, I'd believe. But with Renault, you never know

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/upgr ... 83/?nrt=54
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

NL_Fer

lio007 wrote:
27 Aug 2018, 20:40
Do anybody of you think, that Exxon is doing a better job on fuels and lubricants than the worksteam's BP?
We often hear RBR about Exxon's products or Ferrari and Mercedes about theirs, but I have the impression Renault doesn't. But maybe I haven't recognized it...
With Renault engineers being hired to tune/calibrate the engines, i doubt it.

gandharva

Ground Effect wrote:
28 Aug 2018, 18:22
Renault Spec C worth 0.3secs around Monza, with right fuel etc etc. Which probably means it won't be worth 0.3secs with Red Bull. No offence, of this was Mercedes, Ferrari and even Honda, I'd believe. But with Renault, you never know

It's Taffin not Cyril speaking. So 0.3s could really be true. Problem is Exxon fuel is not optimized for it yet and RBR would need more like >0.5s to catch up.

Ground Effect

gandharva wrote:
28 Aug 2018, 18:56
Ground Effect wrote:
28 Aug 2018, 18:22

It's Taffin not Cyril speaking. So 0.3s could really be true. Problem is Exxon fuel is not optimized for it yet and RBR would need more like >0.5s to catch up.
OK, thanks for pointing that out, Taffin is a better source. Cyril would have probably claimed 0.9secs. I wonder if Red Bull will have another upgrade this year, fuel I mean

gandharva

Why not? If it helps for next years Honda development...

My question is more towards the RBR engine change for Monza. Not sure why RBR throws around a million pounds on the car to switch to an engine spec they are not going to use next year. Do they think they can get some knowledge from it to profit next year? If yes, what could you learn from an upgrade on a different engine?

NL_Fer

Does spec C also incorporate a new turbocharger? Verstappen can take another ICE and MGU-H, but a new Turbo would mean penalties.

Walkman

NL_Fer wrote:
28 Aug 2018, 19:47
Does spec C also incorporate a new turbocharger? Verstappen can take another ICE and MGU-H, but a new Turbo would mean penalties.
Don't think so. I heard the combustion process was improved on this spec. Renault introduced a new turbo spec the race after Nico's turbo failure.

Ground Effect

gandharva wrote:
28 Aug 2018, 19:43
Why not? If it helps for next years Honda development...

My question is more towards the RBR engine change for Monza. Not sure why RBR throws around a million pounds on the car to switch to an engine spec they are not going to use next year. Do they think they can get some knowledge from it to profit next year? If yes, what could you learn from an upgrade on a different engine?
If it is indeed more powerful, I believe Red Bull, who are a safe 3rd would risk taking it because they want to win races.