Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
flexcon

Re: Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

That video angle though. Sick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lio007

djos

lio007 wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 14:08
https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega/statu ... 9620567040

Quite a big step.
If they really pulled that off then Renault could well be fighting with RBR on a regular basis (also assuming the RS.19 is as decent as it appears so far).
"In downforce we trust"

Bill

Last year they were claiming to be over 950 hp but was not true,they still have mguk issues to resolve. The won't be fighting Rbr but their junior Str . They have already said Rbr is ahead , it's unlikely Renault will break into the top three which were redbull is

Juzh

lio007 wrote:

Quite a big step.
Same bs all year every year. Until I see some parity on track claims like this are worthless.

lio007

Juzh wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 15:37
lio007 wrote:

Quite a big step.
Same bs all year every year. Until I see some parity on track claims like this are worthless.
Indeed! I should have added "(if true)" to my remark.

ReoPTy

djos wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 14:13
lio007 wrote:

Quite a big step.
If they really pulled that off then Renault could well be fighting with RBR on a regular basis (also assuming the RS.19 is as decent as it appears so far).
i heard about 37kW gap on the last spec the spec C of 2018

ReoPTy

Bill wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 14:27
Last year they were claiming to be over 950 hp but was not true,they still have mguk issues to resolve. The won't be fighting Rbr but their junior Str . They have already said Rbr is ahead , it's unlikely Renault will break into the top three which were redbull is
RBR ahead till the Melbourne :wink:

carisi2k

Renault needed the divorce from Red Bull as much as Red Bull did. RBR are happy with their new PU provider and Renault seems to have lept forward without that hindrance and Daniel and Nico both seem happy with the new car which has been good on long and short runs. Unusually the 2 weakest teams in the PU era had cars at the top of the timesheets and top speed charts. Maybe it is a bit early to read much but in testing in previous years the top speeds were always Ferrari or Mercedes powered and so maybe something is changing.

Juzh

carisi2k wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 22:22
but in testing in previous years the top speeds were always Ferrari or Mercedes powered and so maybe something is changing.
They weren't. Not in testing anyway, which is what is happening now. I remember a year when renault was measured at I think 348 kmh in testing, or somewhere in that region, and was at the top of speed traps. Then in the actual qualyfing in may their speed was like 316-320 and some 10+ kmh behind ferrari/merc, as usual.
There's too many variables in testing to make any meaningful conclusions. Especially top speed wise.

amho

Juzh wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 23:00
carisi2k wrote:
but in testing in previous years the top speeds were always Ferrari or Mercedes powered and so maybe something is changing.
They weren't. Not in testing anyway, which is what is happening now. I remember a year when renault was measured at I think 348 kmh in testing, or somewhere in that region, and was at the top of speed traps. Then in the actual qualyfing in may their speed was like 316-320 and some 10+ kmh behind ferrari/merc, as usual.
There's too many variables in testing to make any meaningful conclusions. Especially top speed wise.
Renault said that they have made the biggest gain in V6 era and if I remember correctely their biggest gain previously was about 50 hp so we can guess their 2019 upgrade worth more than 50 hp which atleast puts them ahead of 18 mercedes....
There is no Might or Power except with Allah.

carisi2k

Juzh wrote:
carisi2k wrote:
348 would have been with a draft and not normal numbers. Without drafting the Renault and Honda were always slower in straight line speed.

GhostF1

amho wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 23:25
Juzh wrote:
carisi2k wrote:
Renault said that they have made the biggest gain in V6 era and if I remember correctely their biggest gain previously was about 50 hp so we can guess their 2019 upgrade worth more than 50 hp which atleast puts them ahead of 18 mercedes....
Renault have claimed 50hp gains minimum at the start of every season since this era began. It's an arbitrary, nice round number marketing can pump forward for their "Spec Sheet" on the official Renault F1 website, they have no reason to be 100% truthful for that, or divulge the situation in which this figure was reached, it's all chest puffery. It has never been true and if you include the "gains" during each season that Abiteboul goes on about, the Renault would be north of 1200hp..
As far as actual horsepower goes, Renault have been the most vocal while also being the most exaggerative.

djos

GhostF1 wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 02:11
Renault have claimed 50hp gains minimum at the start of every season since this era began. It's an arbitrary, nice round number marketing can pump forward for their "Spec Sheet" on the official Renault F1 website, they have no reason to be 100% truthful for that, or divulge the situation in which this figure was reached, it's all chest puffery. It has never been true and if you include the "gains" during each season that Abiteboul goes on about, the Renault would be north of 1200hp..
As far as actual horsepower goes, Renault have been the most vocal while also being the most exaggerative.
While that's true, they've never explained under what conditions or if it's an extra 50hp for an extra 10 race hours over what they previously delivered in full race mode, so you just never know what the "extra 50hp" really means.
"In downforce we trust"

GhostF1

djos wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 02:19
GhostF1 wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 02:11
While that's true, they've never explained under what conditions or if it's an extra 50hp for an extra 10 race hours over what they previously delivered in full race mode, so you just never know what the "extra 50hp" really means.
Exactly, they never mention the context or how this was achieved if indeed it was at all. They are vague when they bring it up and they do this a lot.

On an actual observation of the unit from testing videos I've seen, the exhaust tone is far more Mercedes-esque this year. It has a high pitch howl to it now, which is good, because Renault in the past hasn't sounded particularly extraordinary