Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
carisi2k
31
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:26 pm

Re: Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post by carisi2k » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:19 am

_cerber1 wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:02 am
An interesting comparison of performance Renault and Honda.

https://unendinginsight.wordpress.com/2 ... #more-1125
I was looking at interest the verstappen, gasly and ricciardo's overlays. Daniel was up on gasly going in to t11-13 and then lost time on the entry. It looks like the braking is where renault are losing ground and I wonder if the taller gearing has anything to do with that. Daniel was faster in the sweeping t8 - t9 complex which is interesting. I wonder also how much is the Renault and how much is Daniel.

djos
123
User avatar
Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 5:09 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post by djos » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:24 am

carisi2k wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:19 am
_cerber1 wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:02 am
An interesting comparison of performance Renault and Honda.

https://unendinginsight.wordpress.com/2 ... #more-1125
I was looking at interest the verstappen, gasly and ricciardo's overlays. Daniel was up on gasly going in to t11-13 and then lost time on the entry. It looks like the braking is where renault are losing ground and I wonder if the taller gearing has anything to do with that. Daniel was faster in the sweeping t8 - t9 complex which is interesting. I wonder also how much is the Renault and how much is Daniel.
Daniel has mentioned the Renault isn't as good at bump control which would indicate he isn't able to use the curbs as aggressively as the RBR boys.
The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks.

MtthsMlw
687
User avatar
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:38 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post by MtthsMlw » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:23 am

Intake plenum
Image

Image
@NicolasF1i

roon
444
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:04 pm

Re: Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post by roon » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:01 pm

No expert on pipe flow dynamics, but forcing intake flow through two 180* bends before the variwle runners seems restrictive.

hollus
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:21 am
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Re: Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post by hollus » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:28 pm

A series of posts that had absolutely nothing to do with the Renault PU have been deleted.
Ass usual, thank you for any help possible in staying on topic or thereabouts in the first place.
It is not white, it is not black, it is probably gray.

Jejking
0
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:38 am

Re: Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post by Jejking » Wed May 01, 2019 12:57 pm

carisi2k wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:19 am
_cerber1 wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:02 am
An interesting comparison of performance Renault and Honda.

https://unendinginsight.wordpress.com/2 ... #more-1125
I was looking at interest the verstappen, gasly and ricciardo's overlays. Daniel was up on gasly going in to t11-13 and then lost time on the entry. It looks like the braking is where renault are losing ground and I wonder if the taller gearing has anything to do with that. Daniel was faster in the sweeping t8 - t9 complex which is interesting. I wonder also how much is the Renault and how much is Daniel.
Daniel usually is smooth as butter on the brakes. Maybe it's the engine braking. Obvious example of this snapping is here at the start of Azer GP.

https://youtu.be/izLICVxiBGY?t=16

ringo
227
User avatar
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:57 am

Re: Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post by ringo » Thu May 02, 2019 6:59 pm

Jejking wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 12:57 pm
carisi2k wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:19 am
_cerber1 wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:02 am
An interesting comparison of performance Renault and Honda.

https://unendinginsight.wordpress.com/2 ... #more-1125
I was looking at interest the verstappen, gasly and ricciardo's overlays. Daniel was up on gasly going in to t11-13 and then lost time on the entry. It looks like the braking is where renault are losing ground and I wonder if the taller gearing has anything to do with that. Daniel was faster in the sweeping t8 - t9 complex which is interesting. I wonder also how much is the Renault and how much is Daniel.
Redbull usually is smooth as butter on the brakes. Maybe it's the engine braking. Obvious example of this snapping is here at the start of Azer GP.

https://youtu.be/izLICVxiBGY?t=16
correction. :wink:
For Sure!!

factory_p
13
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:04 am

Re: Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post by factory_p » Fri May 03, 2019 10:36 am

Jejking wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 12:57 pm

Daniel usually is smooth as butter on the brakes. Maybe it's the engine braking. Obvious example of this snapping is here at the start of Azer GP.

https://youtu.be/izLICVxiBGY?t=16
Sounds related to downshifts if the sound is properly synched on this video.

carisi2k
31
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:26 pm

Re: Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post by carisi2k » Fri May 03, 2019 2:24 pm

On that video Daniel couldn't get past Kyvat even with DRS and a tow down the main straight. Out of the corner the RS19 also lacked traction and so maybe the full potential of the RS19 is being masked by the chassis inability to use the engine. Renault need to sort this instability out because it is hampering both him and Nico.

JordanMugen
20
User avatar
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:36 pm

Re: Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post by JordanMugen » Fri May 03, 2019 4:17 pm

Jejking wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 12:57 pm
Daniel usually is smooth as butter on the brakes. Maybe it's the engine braking.
Could be. But I would have thought braking is related to chassis and aerodynamics?

gruntguru
436
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:43 am

Re: Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post by gruntguru » Sat May 04, 2019 8:53 am

Of course - its related to everything - driver, braking system, DF, control of MGUK and engine etc
je suis charlie

carisi2k
31
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:26 pm

Re: Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post by carisi2k » Thu May 09, 2019 10:20 pm

Apparently Renault have a new PU available. Is there any info on this update.

Jambier
4
User avatar
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:02 am
Location: France

Re: Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post by Jambier » Thu May 09, 2019 11:17 pm

Update will be used by both teams

More reliable hence it can use more agressive engine mode.
Exactly like Honda evo in Baku

GhostF1
149
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:11 am

Re: Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post by GhostF1 » Fri May 10, 2019 12:33 am

Jambier wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 11:17 pm
Update will be used by both teams

More reliable hence it can use more agressive engine mode.
Exactly like Honda evo in Baku
Not quite. There is an article going around somewhere that says that but since then, Cyril has openly admitted Renault cut corners with their 2019 power unit in order to push forward with power. This update is purely to increase reliability so they don't pop every 2 races as has been shown, Cyril also points out specifically that it will not affect performance in qualifying or race trim. You can even find reference to this in an interview Cyril gave F1 last race and again referenced in the F1 Spain Paddock Pass video that has recently come out.

Whereas Honda actually said their upgrade provided a very slight increase in overall performance and allowed more aggressive modes in race trim, it's been categorically pointed out the Renault one does not affect performance by Renault themselves.

More specifically, this basically points out there is a flaw with the ICE, not just the K which we were all under the impression was the Achilles heel. Whether this update includes a revised K, I'm not 100% certain. Will have to wait and see. But Nico's ICE failure in Bahrain is the only ICE failure I'm aware of, the rest across both teams Renault has blamed the K and the K's software. So it's possible this won't solve everything if it is the same unit.

GhostF1
149
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:11 am

Re: Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post by GhostF1 » Fri May 10, 2019 10:30 am

I stand corrected. Sky are now reporting in the paddock that Renault think they will try pushing the engine a bit more with the upgrade.