How does an F1 differential work ? same as normal car ?

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
firasf1dream

How does an F1 differential work ? same as normal car ?

hello guys,
i would like please to know if the differential of F1 car works same as in normal car which mean when entering corner the speed of inside wheel is lower than the outside wheel or both have same speed when it locks ?

i am working on an RC car so i was thinking of putting 1 gear on the rear shaft for transmission from the engine to the wheel by chain or belt

Just_a_fan

Re: How does an F1 differential work ? same as normal car ?

They are basically an open differential just as on a road car. Clever torque-biasing differentials were banned a few years ago when traction control was reintroduced (traction control is now banned again, of course). McLaren were developing a clever differential to get around the traction control ban and the FIA/Ferrari decided that everyone having TC would be cheaper and easier than starting a "differential war".
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

firasf1dream

is it possible to eliminate the differential and put just a Gear for chain directly of a shaft and on every end of this shaft connect the shafts of the wheels ?

mrluke

Are they really just open diffs? They talk a lot about diff settings which I would imagine is down to how much locking they want and under what conditions. However expect you would know more than me about this?

Just_a_fan

The regs preclude any form of torque transfer or apportioning:
Any system or device the design of which is capable of transferring or diverting torque from a
slower to a faster rotating wheel is not permitted.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

gruntguru

However conventional slip-limiting differentials transfer torque from the faster wheel to the slower wheel so would be permitted.
je suis charlie

firasf1dream

Just_a_fan wrote:The regs preclude any form of torque transfer or apportioning:
Any system or device the design of which is capable of transferring or diverting torque from a
slower to a faster rotating wheel is not permitted.
Amazing !! thanks !

firasf1dream

gruntguru wrote:However conventional slip-limiting differentials transfer torque from the faster wheel to the slower wheel so would be permitted.
what do you mean exactly please ?

langwadt

firasf1dream wrote:is it possible to eliminate the differential and put just a Gear for chain directly of a shaft and on every end of this shaft connect the shafts of the wheels ?
that's how it is on a gocart, but that means one of the wheel have to slip when turning

firasf1dream

langwadt wrote:
firasf1dream wrote:is it possible to eliminate the differential and put just a Gear for chain directly of a shaft and on every end of this shaft connect the shafts of the wheels ?
that's how it is on a gocart, but that means one of the wheel have to slip when turning
hahaha thanks i just at this moment read that about go kart i was going to ask about it hear
unfortunately it must slide !! so i must include a differential :( ! the problem is the space see because i am trying to build a gear box cvt

gruntguru

firasf1dream wrote:
gruntguru wrote:However conventional slip-limiting differentials transfer torque from the faster wheel to the slower wheel so would be permitted.
The rules do not permit torque to be taken from the slower wheel and transferred to the faster wheel.

A conventional limited slip diff transfers torque from the faster wheel to the slower wheel. This would be permitted under the rules.
je suis charlie

Tim.Wright

As far as I know F1 diffs are clutch pack type limited slip diffs with a controlled hydraulic actuator providing the cluch load instead of the conventional ramps on the casing.
Not the engineer at Force India

Cold Fussion

firasf1dream wrote:
langwadt wrote:
hahaha thanks i just at this moment read that about go kart i was going to ask about it hear
unfortunately it must slide !! so i must include a differential :( ! the problem is the space see because i am trying to build a gear box cvt
Unless you set it up for inside rear wheel jacking (like on a kart) then you could get away it.

riff_raff

A simple gear differential does not really "transfer" torque from one drive wheel to the other if there is loss of traction at one side. It allows the wheels to turn at different angular rates, but the amount of torque applied to one wheel must ultimately be reacted at the other wheel. It's really more a "balance" of torque applied to the drivetrain.

A limited slip differential that uses a friction clutch works by dissipating power as friction heat. Its capability is limited by the torque and speed delta produced (ie. horsepower) during slippage.
"Q: How do you make a small fortune in racing?
A: Start with a large one!"

firasf1dream

gruntguru wrote:
firasf1dream wrote:
The rules do not permit torque to be taken from the slower wheel and transferred to the faster wheel.

A conventional limited slip diff transfers torque from the faster wheel to the slower wheel. This would be permitted under the rules.
i don't understand the transfer thing, i mean a differential make the inside wheel sun slower than the outside but how there is a transfer ?!