RBR 2016 Power Unit

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
rgava

Re: RBR 2016 Power Unit

http://planetf1.com/news/sponsor-drops- ... -red-bull/

Could it be that we will see a new TAG power unit in the near future in F1? :o

jure

ReoPTy wrote: because latest update aren't complete ! red bull refused to make room for new turbo, whicth is at least bigger than the merc one !
Do you know wheather Red Bull is going to run the new turbo at Abu Dhabi? How about new fuel? Wouldn't it be sensible to also test new fuel together with the new ice (there was no news about Total bringing new fuel).

ReoPTy

jure wrote:
ReoPTy wrote: because latest update aren't complete ! red bull refused to make room for new turbo, whicth is at least bigger than the merc one !
Do you know wheather Red Bull is going to run the new turbo at Abu Dhabi? How about new fuel? Wouldn't it be sensible to also test new fuel together with the new ice (there was no news about Total bringing new fuel).
i think renault season is over, if red bull have deal with renault, they can wait winter to get new full spec update, but if renault aren't on next race to seal ghosn decision on Lotus , it will mean for me renault will stay away of Lotus while 2016 at least while providing red bull engines , this would buy time and give two options to Ghosn about 2017 renault and f1 futur, staying or exit F1!

nanocustic

From espnf1:
Speaking to German publication Auto Motor und Sport Ilmor design guru Mario Illien, who has been linked with Red Bull's engine plans for 2016, confirmed: "Ilmor has applied for it."

The publication also quotes Red Bull's motorsport advisor Helmut Marko, who claims Ilmor's plan to become F1's alternative engine is what stopped the team following through on its threats to quit.

"We stand behind this engine and will drive it," Marko said. "It was the condition that we have stayed in F1."
Meliora

FoxHound

Ilmor are looking at the world engine thing with the FIA.

Red Bull are racing next year because it was a condition of theirs to be able to race with this engine in 2017.
Apparently it will have no KERS, must weigh less than 135 KG's and have more than 870bhp costing between 6 and 7 million dollars. Will these larger, more powerful, and more easily developed engines be capped in terms of output? Will manufacturers be able to purchase them? What message does this send out to any other manufacturers interested in F1?
How this will be a workable or fair solution to everyone, is anyone's guess.

But the Red Bull driven Ilmor/Renault engine is still very much a possibility for 2016.

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 49122.html
JET set

Edis

FoxHound wrote:Ilmor are looking at the world engine thing with the FIA.

Red Bull are racing next year because it was a condition of theirs to be able to race with this engine in 2017.
Apparently it will have no KERS, must weigh less than 135 KG's and have more than 870bhp costing between 6 and 7 million dollars. Will these larger, more powerful, and more easily developed engines be capped in terms of output? Will manufacturers be able to purchase them? What message does this send out to any other manufacturers interested in F1?
How this will be a workable or fair solution to everyone, is anyone's guess.

But the Red Bull driven Ilmor/Renault engine is still very much a possibility for 2016.

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 49122.html
The FIA will control the output of the alternative engine through the mandatory standard ECU used by all F1 engines; the requirement is an output that is adjustable between 720 and at least 870 hp. As such I think it will be difficult for any successful team to use this engine as good results will lead to calls for reduced engine output from the other teams. Even if the engine isn't the performance differentiator, a team can save €10-15M on using this engine which could be spent on car development.

For 2016, I think Renault is the only viable engine option for Red Bull.

kptaylor

I believe the alt engines will be okay, but not as effective as the hybrids. The hybrid has instant torque out of the corners thanks to the energy store, so they should leave the NA engines behind out of the corners and even through the straights if there is enough left in the ES to give a boost.

tuj
tuj

TJ13 reporting it WILL be a Tag-Heuer branded engine. Ilmor will develop the engine w/ RBR.

wuzak

tuj wrote:TJ13 reporting it WILL be a Tag-Heuer branded engine. Ilmor will develop the engine w/ RBR.
Ilmor will be contracting to Renault, if he is involved at all.

Red Bull cannot make their own version of the Renault engine.

FoxHound

wuzak wrote:
tuj wrote:TJ13 reporting it WILL be a Tag-Heuer branded engine. Ilmor will develop the engine w/ RBR.
Ilmor will be contracting to Renault, if he is involved at all.

Red Bull cannot make their own version of the Renault engine.
According to the 2015 rules and speculative 2016 rules, you are probably correct.

However, Mercedes, Ferrari, FIA, Bernie et al have all been saying the same thing....to whatever is necessary to keep Red Bull in the sport.
Renault have their team, Red Bull have their engine. But Red Bull wanted to have some form of say in the development of the engine.

What's to say Red Bull didn't get some dispensation to do so?
All the indicators are that they have the will and the partners to do so. I'm a betting man, and if it does not happen for next year it will be for 2017.
JET set

bhall II

FoxHound wrote:...it will be for 2017.
I think that's the plan regardless.
grandprix.com, November 27, 2015 wrote:"Next year will be a transition year," Horner confirmed. "We have an agreement on the use of an engine for next year. The announcement will hopefully take place in the coming days.

"Ironically, the path of development will be one that we wanted to have 12 months ago," he added.
For next season, Renault will develop and supply to both its works team and Red Bull the Illien concept it initially rejected. At the same time, Illien will continue to develop the concept separately in order for Red Bull to use it from 2017, by which time it will be a different power unit.

NL_Fer

It will be Illien enginered Renault engine, the same for both Lotus and Redbull. But i wont be supprised it will be called TAG and that Ron Dennis won't like it, as Horner suggested.

hemichromis

bhall II wrote:
FoxHound wrote:...it will be for 2017.
I think that's the plan regardless.
grandprix.com, November 27, 2015 wrote:"Next year will be a transition year," Horner confirmed. "We have an agreement on the use of an engine for next year. The announcement will hopefully take place in the coming days.

"Ironically, the path of development will be one that we wanted to have 12 months ago," he added.
For next season, Renault will develop and supply to both its works team and Red Bull the Illien concept it initially rejected. At the same time, Illien will continue to develop the concept separately in order for Red Bull to use it from 2017, by which time it will be a different power unit.
2017 unit will be developed in part by porsche, or so the rumor goes....

Henne

So correct me if I'm wrong, this Renault (Let's just rebrand it to Tag Heuer) will only be a one year deal?