Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
toraabe

Re: Mercedes Power Unit

Normally the rev limit is set at 13000.

henry

toraabe wrote:
24 Mar 2018, 13:20
Normally the rev limit is set at 13000.
For the Ferrari data @mudflap gathered and presented in the viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9259&start=9000 Thread the operating rev range is 10600 to 11800. From analysing the data I would suggest the power peak is around 11300, midway between. In analysing the data I found the power output rises to this midway point and then falls away. Above 12000 I would expect the power to fall away a lot.

Was there any telemetry in the broadcast?
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

zac510

henry wrote:
24 Mar 2018, 14:15

Was there any telemetry in the broadcast?
In the link I posted? No, and I couldn't read any revs on the dash. But he drives through the apex of the corner with the shift lights on which I found unusual. Tt was such a faster lap he must have arrived at the apex faster than previous.

PlatinumZealot

It seems a lot of people were thrown off by Lewis' and Toto's comments about "party mode." I wasn't.

From 2016 I already knew that "Strat 6" is full power/overtake and "Strat 7" is a "joker" mode.(I internaly call it "scramble boost") Which we saw williams use in Monza 2016 that unlocked a new realm of power for a couple laps but exposes the engine to very high wear and tear. This is the "Party mode" which Lewis refered to. And rightly said he did not use it in Australia Q3 today. He didn't need to.

Mark Hughes explains

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/opin ... party-mode
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

digitalrurouni

Is it just me or in Lewis's pole lap onboard it sounded like he was revving the motor quite high and just letting it stay there in 7th instead of shifting up to 8th momentarily?

godlameroso

He definitely overreved between 13 and 14, like by a good 500rpm.
Saishū kōnā

J.A.W.

A pity that the demands of current 'economy-run' F1 rules - stymied L.H.'s attempt to run down & wrest the win from the Vettel Ferrari at Melbourne this arvo, its a travesty - that makes a mockery of G.P. racing - IMO..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

Juzh

PlatinumZealot wrote:
25 Mar 2018, 04:20
It seems a lot of people were thrown off by Lewis' and Toto's comments about "party mode." I wasn't.

From 2016 I already knew that "Strat 6" is full power/overtake and "Strat 7" is a "joker" mode.(I internaly call it "scramble boost") Which we saw williams use in Monza 2016 that unlocked a new realm of power for a couple laps but exposes the engine to very high wear and tear. This is the "Party mode" which Lewis refered to. And rightly said he did not use it in Australia Q3 today. He didn't need to.

Mark Hughes explains

I'm fairy certain that in 2014-2017 (100% in 2017, but would have to check other years) STRAT 2 is the highest possible power (Q2 and Q3), however it is probably never used during the race as it can only sustain itself for 1 lap. Strat 3 was used in 2016 for race starts.

This might have changed in 2018. Much more would be clear if we'd have some sort of picture of 2018 steering wheel but can't seem to find any so far.
The only thing I found was this steering wheel replica:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo_TYrJeJRM The problem is it only goes up to 12 on all 3 dials whereas hamilton was suggested strat 14 in the race.

Just_a_fan

The strats also change the way the ERS is charged and deployed, it's not just how much power the ICE generates. In max attack mode (Q3, for example) the ERS is fully charged in the previous laps and then every last available J is drained from it over one lap. It wouldn't be much use in a race as the next lap would be effectively driven without the ERS as it would be being charged. Might be used in one of those "attack now to ensure we stay ahead after the other driver's pit stop" situations, but it would leave the driver exposed for the next lap.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Juzh

Just_a_fan wrote:
25 Mar 2018, 15:43
The strats also change the way the ERS is charged and deployed, it's not just how much power the ICE generates.
Well, ofcourse. It's all those things combined into 1 dial, I didn't think that needed to be pointed out.

F1NAC

Juzh wrote:
25 Mar 2018, 14:50
PlatinumZealot wrote:
25 Mar 2018, 04:20

Mark Hughes explains

I'm fairy certain that in 2014-2017 (100% in 2017, but would have to check other years) STRAT 2 is the highest possible power (Q2 and Q3), however it is probably never used during the race as it can only sustain itself for 1 lap. Strat 3 was used in 2016 for race starts.

This might have changed in 2018. Much more would be clear if we'd have some sort of picture of 2018 steering wheel but can't seem to find any so far.
The only thing I found was this steering wheel replica:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo_TYrJeJRM The problem is it only goes up to 12 on all 3 dials whereas hamilton was suggested strat 14 in the race.
Strat 14 - strat 12 = strat 2 :lol:

SiLo

Whilst everyone was banging on about party mode, it seems to have slipped under the radar that Ferrari were faster on the all straights this weekend.

Maybe they have finally caught up in terms of HP?
Felipe Baby!

DVB

SiLo wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 10:59
Whilst everyone was banging on about party mode, it seems to have slipped under the radar that Ferrari were faster on the all straights this weekend.

No, Ferrari ran less wing then Merc. Therefore they were quicker on the straights.
Everybody is a Ferrari fan.

sosic2121

DVB wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 11:13
SiLo wrote:

No, Ferrari ran less wing then Merc. Therefore they were quicker on the straights.
Yes.
If anything it seems like Ferrari tried to compensate for their lack of power.

In Q Mercedes was quicker in every corner and on shorter straights, while Ferrari was quicker on longer straights.
(There is a maps with best mini sectors, can't find it now)

DVB

sosic2121 wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 11:26
DVB wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 11:13
SiLo wrote:

Yes.
If anything it seems like Ferrari tried to compensate for their lack of power.

In Q Mercedes was quicker in every corner and on shorter straights, while Ferrari was quicker on longer straights.
(There is a maps with best mini sectors, can't find it now)
I know which map u mean. Have seen it also, but don't have the time to go digging now in the Melbourne topic.
I don't think it's a question of power, but more a question of saving fuel by running less wing. The Ferrari engine is more thirsty then the Merc's...
Everybody is a Ferrari fan.