Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
roon

Re: Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

Is that the IC hanging off the front? Above the orange wires. Rarely get to see that. The ribbing reminds me of plate type heat exchangers.

subcritical71

roon wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 20:09
Is that the IC hanging off the front? Above the orange wires. Rarely get to see that. The ribbing reminds me of plate type heat exchangers.

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1HmeqmOqA ... -Model.jpg

http://www.ptp-tech.com/images/funke_br ... angers.png
Dunno, but a plate type HX would make sense as it could be tuned to the required cooling requirements quite easily.

63l8qrrfy6

Some fresh goss from Merc engineers:

Stroll's failure was a faulty sparkplug causing misfire which eventually took out the cylinder.

Andy Cowell has stated in the post-Canada debrief that Ferrari clearly have more power and Renault have caught up with them. Honda still a bit behind.

Their brand new single cylinder research engine fired up this week. This is the first update since the start of the turbo era.

Lorenzo Sassi who joined from Ferrari as a chief engineer was demoted to head of department.

roon

Misfire as in detonation? Or wear/damage to some part exposed to an oil channel, perhaps.

Sassi demoted while at Merc, or his tranfer to Merc was considered a demotion?

63l8qrrfy6

Misfire as it did not ignite, which causes the unburnt fuel to combust abnormally on subsequent cycles and destroy things.

Sassi joined Mercedes as a chief engineer. The plan was for him to cover the development of this year's engine while Philip Prew, the other chief engineer, was looking after the current engine at the time.
This season Sassi was meant to oversee the transition of the 2019 engine from the development phase to the racing phase, however he was demoted to head of performance while Owen Jones, the previous head of performance was promoted to chief engineer to replace him.

PlatinumZealot

Mudflap wrote:
15 Jun 2019, 00:43

Stroll's failure was a faulty sparkplug causing misfire which eventually took out the cylinder.

Andy Cowell has stated in the post-Canada debrief that Ferrari clearly have more power and Renault have caught up with them. Honda still a bit behind.

Their brand new single cylinder research engine fired up this week. This is the first update since the start of the turbo era.

Lorenzo Sassi who joined from Ferrari as a chief engineer was demoted to head of department.
Source?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

63l8qrrfy6

PlatinumZealot wrote:
15 Jun 2019, 17:23
Source?
Night out with some of their folks

PlatinumZealot

Mudflap wrote:
15 Jun 2019, 17:38
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Source?
I guess people say the truth when they're drunk. Good going.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

McMika98

Mudflap wrote:

No suprises here, pretty visible in quali. I think Renault might be up there with Merc if not just ahead.

roon

Mudflap wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Source?
Ever spoke to them about oil burning? Or was that all press and forum banter? For that matter, steel pistons, multi material pistons, pre-chambers & TJI, fuel composition, speculative stuff generally. Is there anything they get particularly tight-lipped about?

63l8qrrfy6

Well, as much as I'd like to learn more, I consider it a matter of common sense not try and probe (particularly sensitive subjects) as it can sometimes lead to uncomfortable situations.

Anyway, regarding oil burning I do remember it was mentioned last year that they were discussing with FIA reducing the maximum capacity of the auxiliary oil tank. Apparently all teams agreed except Ferrari who raised a few eyebrows by insisting they needed an unreasonable volume (4 litres or so).
I am not sure if this was reported anywhere in the media.

trinidefender

Mudflap wrote:

When you say that this is the first update, do you mean that this is the first time that they have changed to a new concept? Surely they have been making incremental improvements to their combustion over the years.

Secondly, other than the issue with Stroll, have they had any other failures or premature changes to PU components this season? Reliability seems to be their strong point and later in the season is probably where teams running the Merc PU will make gains.

SiLo

roon wrote:
15 Jun 2019, 21:56
Mudflap wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Source?
Ever spoke to them about oil burning? Or was that all press and forum banter? For that matter, steel pistons, multi material pistons, pre-chambers & TJI, fuel composition, speculative stuff generally. Is there anything they get particularly tight-lipped about?
They were burning oil. They even had an extra bladder of oil in the tea-tray of the car before it all got cracked down on.
Felipe Baby!

Polite

Mudflap wrote:
16 Jun 2019, 02:50
Well, as much as I'd like to learn more, I consider it a matter of common sense not try and probe (particularly sensitive subjects) as it can sometimes lead to uncomfortable situations.

Anyway, regarding oil burning I do remember it was mentioned last year that they were discussing with FIA reducing the maximum capacity of the auxiliary oil tank. Apparently all teams agreed except Ferrari who raised a few eyebrows by insisting they needed an unreasonable volume (4 litres or so).
I am not sure if this was reported anywhere in the media.
Facts?.. there are no real facts about that. And i think everyone can see, from 2017 (more than 0,9l per gp till the end of the year for Mercs with a new PU before Monza, while Ferrari respected the gentleman agreement of the 0,9 from Monza) to 2019, who was more affected from the new oil regulation.

I think that everyone here can agree that oil burning was a key for qualy boost for Mercs and Ferrari, while Renault was in the first line against it.

am i right?

Polite

SiLo wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 12:11
roon wrote:
15 Jun 2019, 21:56
Mudflap wrote:

They were burning oil. They even had an extra bladder of oil in the tea-tray of the car before it all got cracked down on.
that was 2015 to 2016 Ferrari PU.. and no more.