Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
djones

Re: Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

In terms of pushing the engine to test cooling etc...

I saw somewhere (possibly the AS forums) a post that showed the engine mode for Bottas' fastest lap. I can't remember the specifics but the engine was set on a low level. For example, it was running at 3/10 sort of thing.

IvailoStefanovBG

Strat 2 is the highest mode Mercs use in qually. So strat 3 is close and may be suitable for testing.

djones

Sorry, I was using 1 out of 10 as an example rather than what the setting actually was.

It was the opposite end of the qualifying modes though, not close to them.

LM10

djones wrote:
25 Feb 2020, 14:50

I saw somewhere (possibly the AS forums) a post that showed the engine mode for Bottas' fastest lap. I can't remember the specifics but the engine was set on a low level. For example, it was running at 3/10 sort of thing.
Hey my friend. You just posted in the Ferrari Power Unit Thread that there is no reason for Ferrari to use the engine in low modes. Yet, you tell here that Mercedes had 30% of their qualifying mode. I'm confused!

djones

LM10 wrote:
25 Feb 2020, 15:00
djones wrote:

Hey my friend. You just posted in the Ferrari Power Unit Thread that there is no reason for Ferrari to use the engine in low modes. Yet, you tell here that Mercedes had 30% of their qualifying mode. I'm confused!
I'm really sorry LM. But in your haste to respond or dislike every single post I ever make you have not understood what is being said.

I said that Ferrari would not make a special mode that is super low. Let's say their lowest setting was 1, I mean they will not invent a -5 for the purpose of hiding speed/power.

LM10

djones wrote:
25 Feb 2020, 15:04
LM10 wrote:
25 Feb 2020, 15:00
djones wrote:

I'm really sorry LM. But in your haste to respond or dislike every single post I ever make you have not understood what is being said.

I said that Ferrari would not make a special mode that is super low. Let's say their lowest setting was 1, I mean they will not invent a -5 for the purpose of hiding speed/power.
Who has mentioned a special mode that is super low?

PlatinumZealot

etusch wrote:
25 Feb 2020, 13:37
Just_a_fan wrote:
25 Feb 2020, 13:11
etusch wrote:
25 Feb 2020, 13:00
In some stage they put another small hole on sidepod. Last year it was their only weak point was cooling but it seems to me that they still have same issues. If they have issues with cooling in winter it is a real problem during summer.
When did they add a hole? Where was the hole added?
Just downside of sidepod inlet. It was said it is for electronics cooling.
Cars have had that sort of hole ages ago. As far back as KERS days in 2009. Mclaren had one just behind the lower lip of the radiator inlet.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

De Jokke

Williams just stopped, please not another engine issue [-o<
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

GhostF1

De Jokke wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 12:45
Williams just stopped, please not another engine issue [-o<
It looks like it. Watching the testing live at the moment, smoke coming out the back slowly before the engine starts sounding rough then sudden cut out. Still smoking. And Williams press officer said it was HPP related.

De Jokke

Someone mentioned gearbox but highly doubt it.
If this was a fresh engine, it's a disaster, only 48laps :cry:

interesting: https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/s ... -to-a-stop

Phlumbert

De Jokke wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 13:05
Someone mentioned gearbox but highly doubt it.
If this was a fresh engine, it's a disaster, only 48laps :cry:

interesting: https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/s ... -to-a-stop
He does something on the steering wheel and the dash shows '1'. Looks like he then flicks through strat modes?

De Jokke

"12:55 So it was an apparent engine issue which stopped Latifi earlier on, though the exact cause is still unknown."

Oh dear

De Jokke

Pyrone89

Easy to blame Mercedes when AMG and the Pink W10 have had 0 issues.
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

LM10

Pyrone89 wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 21:03
Easy to blame Mercedes when AMG and the Pink W10 have had 0 issues.
The engine on Bottas' car was changed in first test week. Don't know about pink W10, though. It's either bad coincidence for Williams or they're doing something different with the engine.