Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
saviour stivala
saviour stivala

Re: Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

SiLo wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 10:27
It's not the first time Merc engines have had issues in testing. I'll worry when we get to Oz and the team say they are running the engine detuned.
If they will have to run the engine detuned when they go to OZ, they should as well not go to all the trouble and go.

Mr.G

SiLo wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 10:27
It's not the first time Merc engines have had issues in testing. I'll worry when we get to Oz and the team say they are running the engine detuned.
I don't see it as issue, it may be a "feature"...
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

De Jokke

Are all merc teams driving with the latest spec today?
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

nzjrs

Just_a_fan wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 21:52
izzy wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 21:27

what she's quoted on motorsport.com isn't 'bitching' (you know that's sexist don't you? :P )
No it isn't. Or is it only sexist because she's a woman? If a driver "bitches" is that still sexist?
Agree with Just_a_fan here. You are projecting your biases izzy.

caesar1
caesar1

I think the word "bitch" is considered sexist because it generally refers to women. I think it's best not to use it, especially when talking about a woman.

Sieper

bitch is in fact the term for a female dog. A female human is commonly referred to as a woman. I thought this was generally known. But helas.

Now, that smoking engine, what is that about? Oil burn back with a vengeance?

izzy
izzy

Sieper wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 12:36
Now, that smoking engine, what is that about? Oil burn back with a vengeance?
logically, it has to be something that didn't happen on the dyno, which has the engine in a chassis, so that means vibration or g? In dynos these days they have the gearbox on and drive simulated tracks and everything, so... something to do with the circulation? If it was the bores or coating kind of thing that would've shown up before it went in a car. They went too thin with the oil in 2016 didn't they, that only showed up in a race

De Jokke

izzy
izzy

it must help that according to AMuS they made the sensor more sensitive, so it shut down while it was all in one piece. So now they've got an engine that exploded, one that had the fault but is intact, and at least one that's run but not had an oil pressure failure. So one way or another, you'd think they'll be able to find the problem

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

Three Mercedes powered car – five days of testing – four engines replaced. At this rate they must be gunning for the Honda engine use record of last season.

SiLo

If there is a team that can get this fixed before the season starts it's Mercedes.
Felipe Baby!

Bill
Bill

They didn't fix it last year.i wonder how that pu will perform in the sweltering heat of Bahrain.There power deficit to Ferrari haven't been closed in the last two years infact Ferrari had to carry a lot sensors and measuring tools because Mercedes couldn't stomach that someone did a better jop than them, quite frankly it must have be humiliating for Ferrari.

De Jokke

From Sky:

Ham about merc reliability: there was some concern but thinks merc can get on top of it.

So merc running around detuned in order to finish the day.

bosyber
bosyber

Bill wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 15:40
They didn't fix it last year.i wonder how that pu will perform in the sweltering heat of Bahrain.There power deficit to Ferrari haven't been closed in the last two years infact Ferrari had to carry a lot sensors and measuring tools because Mercedes couldn't stomach that someone did a better jop than them, quite frankly it must have be humiliating for Ferrari.
Might be slightly off topic here, as it's about the Ferrari PU, but, given FIA statement at the close of testing, that might be doubly inaccurate - seems Ferrari had to restart PU development from earlier, less powerful, but still legal, point so likely less powerful than last year's, and it wasn't just sour grapes from Mercedes (plus extra grunt likely related to Leclerc's extra fuel in Abu Dhabi, and the sensor stuff).

turbof1

No Ferrari PU discussion here please; it has its own topic.
#AeroFrodo