Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
FW17

Re: Mercedes Power Unit

PlatinumZealot wrote:From the photo the intercooler looks no taller than six inches and no deeper than six to 8 inches.

So probably 500 x 150 x 200..

That is because we do not see the entire length of it in that picture.

The length is estimated by the cable length

ReoPTy

Facts Only

Jeez, next he'll be claiming that Merc are ahead because they invented the car 120+ years ago.

Usual pathetic montezemelo BS trying to shift the blame and make excuses.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

PlatinumZealot

New Andy Cowell interview:

The mastermind behind the mercedes engine

http://en.f1i.com/magazine/88263-master ... ngine.html
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

turbof1

PlatinumZealot wrote:New Andy Cowell interview:

The mastermind behind the mercedes engine

http://en.f1i.com/magazine/88263-master ... ngine.html
A very good read. Although it does not feature anything really new regarding the PU, it gives insight inside in-team cooperation between departments and overall vision and ethos at Mercedes.
#AeroFrodo

tuj
tuj

I was surprised they are turning around a cylinder head design to testing in 4 days down from 4 weeks... :o :shock: That seems incredible to me. I have to imagine some other teams are taking note of that.

turbof1

tuj wrote:I was surprised they are turning around a cylinder head design to testing in 4 days down from 4 weeks... :o :shock: That seems incredible to me. I have to imagine some other teams are taking note of that.
Well let them? Not a single thing has been told how Mercedes achieved this, so the competition only gets a floating goal to work towards. I think what the other manufacturers really should get out of it, is that they aimed too low.

Aim for the tree and you only gets its roots. Aim for the land and you only get the tree. Aim for the world and you only get the land. Aim for the galaxy and you get the world.
#AeroFrodo

Cold Fussion

It also highlights once again how absolutely worthless the token system is as a method of cost control.

ReoPTy

Cold Fussion wrote:It also highlights once again how absolutely worthless the token system is as a method of cost control.

hahaha , of course they started development 7 years before 2014, didn't need any token system to be the king of the hill, honda would, renault would etc...

f1316

Facts Only wrote:Jeez, next he'll be claiming that Merc are ahead because they invented the car 120+ years ago.

Usual pathetic montezemelo BS trying to shift the blame and make excuses.
To be fair, he's accepting the blame - saying it was his fault.
turbof1 wrote:Aim for the tree and you only gets its roots. Aim for the land and you only get the tree. Aim for the world and you only get the land. Aim for the galaxy and you get the world.
The analogy only works if you have a bad aim - "aim for the tree and you get the tree" so long as you're accurate; I think it just depends for how long and with how much intensity you begin practicing your aim.

flmkane

turbof1 wrote:
tuj wrote:I was surprised they are turning around a cylinder head design to testing in 4 days down from 4 weeks... :o :shock: That seems incredible to me. I have to imagine some other teams are taking note of that.
Well let them? Not a single thing has been told how Mercedes achieved this, so the competition only gets a floating goal to work towards. I think what the other manufacturers really should get out of it, is that they aimed too low.

Aim for the tree and you only gets its roots. Aim for the land and you only get the tree. Aim for the world and you only get the land. Aim for the galaxy and you get the world.
They need better ballistic charts

hurril

ReoPTy wrote:
Cold Fussion wrote:It also highlights once again how absolutely worthless the token system is as a method of cost control.

hahaha , of course they started development 7 years before 2014, didn't need any token system to be the king of the hill, honda would, renault would etc...
This 2007 figure is weird. How could they have known about it that early? How early were they formed?

Facts Only

The 2007 figure is complete BS.

It comes from Montezemelo quoting Lauda... One or the other or both of them spouting rubbish
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

roon

hurril wrote:
ReoPTy wrote:

This 2007 figure is weird. How could they have known about it that early? How early were they formed?
Also:
-How integral were Mercedes in forming the current ruleset?
-Who advocated for the token system?

I imagine a company like Mercedes has quite a lot of engine concepts and R&D stored away in their vaults. They've been doing hybrid & cylinder-shutoff prototypes since at least the early eighties. And high-MPG concepts even before then. Perhaps they knew what they were capable of achieving in an efficiency formula, even before seven years ago.