Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Mercedes Power Unit

tuj wrote:I was surprised they are turning around a cylinder head design to testing in 4 days down from 4 weeks... :o :shock: That seems incredible to me. I have to imagine some other teams are taking note of that.
Not that impressive to the other teams when it is computer simulatons across multiple computers optimizing the design. Possibly two days of CAD and Simulation one day of CAM one day of assembly.. Then ready for testing. I can easily see the other engine manufacturers doing a similar turn around time.
Cowell also emphasized the importance of testing as many iterations as you can as early as you can. When it comes to optimization nothing beats real world testing.
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

tok-tokkie

From that Andy Cowell article, page 3:
Mercedes started working on its hybrid engine at a very early stage, with former Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo recently claiming that the German constructor began work in 2007.

As soon as the FIA released the framework of the 1.6-litre V6 turbocharged regulations in 2011, Cowell and his team designed and built a prototype engine with the plant ready six months later, just before Christmas.
So the second paragraph clears it up - They started in 2011 on the V6; not 2007

ME4ME

PlatinumZealot wrote:Not that impressive to the other teams when it is computer simulatons across multiple computers optimizing the design. Possibly two days of CAD and Simulation one day of CAM one day of assembly.. Then ready for testing. I can easily see the other engine manufacturers doing a similar turn around time.
Cowell also emphasized the importance of testing as many iterations as you can as early as you can. When it comes to optimization nothing beats real world testing.
Cowell wrote:from having an idea to running [it] on an engine, [plus] simulation time, design time, final simulation, casting, machining, building.

Casting and machining takes time. Also while he doesn't specifically mention it, I'm sure they do a lot of QC on the items as well. I'd say it's rather impressive to do all that within 100h. Like he says, it's not that they have simplified the design. I'm sure tolerances are increadibly high too.

turbof1

f1316 wrote:
The analogy only works if you have a bad aim - "aim for the tree and you get the tree" so long as you're accurate; I think it just depends for how long and with how much intensity you begin practicing your aim.
My analogy was towards ambition, not having wrong targets.
#AeroFrodo

f1316

turbof1 wrote:
f1316 wrote:
The analogy only works if you have a bad aim - "aim for the tree and you get the tree" so long as you're accurate; I think it just depends for how long and with how much intensity you begin practicing your aim.
My analogy was towards ambition, not having wrong targets.
I mean this as a genuine question, not to be snarky: do you really think other PU manufacturers lack ambition? I don't think any of them were happy to be trailing in the hybrid era.

I'm just saying that if you start earlier your 'aim' and hence the target you're able to 'hit' will only ever improve. It's the right thing to prepare early if you want to win though, of course.

I guess I'm flogging a dead horse, just didn't get it is all.

FPV GTHO

tok-tokkie wrote:From that Andy Cowell article, page 3:
Mercedes started working on its hybrid engine at a very early stage, with former Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo recently claiming that the German constructor began work in 2007.

As soon as the FIA released the framework of the 1.6-litre V6 turbocharged regulations in 2011, Cowell and his team designed and built a prototype engine with the plant ready six months later, just before Christmas.
No kidding. Untill 2011 they were intending to race a 4 cylinder.

turbof1

FPV GTHO wrote:

Ah yes, the i4 bi turbo concept. I was once told those actually had more bhp.

However, a big note to make is that that concept had quite similar ERS systems. So any research and development that could have been made before the decision to go for V6 single turbo, could have been transferred to the V6, possibly putting the development before 2011. I believe the concept of the i4 bi turbo with ers systems came up in 2010.
#AeroFrodo

dans79

I can't even comment on this, because I would quickly digress in to the subject of politics and everything that I think is wrong with Europe.
197 104 103 7

roon

turbof1 wrote:
FPV GTHO wrote:

However, a big note to make is that that concept had quite similar ERS systems. So any research and development that could have been made before the decision to go for V6 single turbo, could have been transferred to the V6, possibly putting the development before 2011. I believe the concept of the i4 bi turbo with ers systems came up in 2010.
Any info on the TT I4 hybrid concepts? Don't recall hearing about those.

roon

"In related news, a broad coalition of NFL teams has recently formed to advocate for the institution of a new competition-enhancing regulation for the league: the amputation of one, or both, of New England Patriots' Quarterback Tom Brady's arms. The coalition, known as Safe Approaches to Limiting Talent (SALT) is headed by team members of the Atlanta Falcons & Cleveland Browns. According to SALT, they wish to "ensure that the NFL remains the even playing field of spirited competition that the fans have come to know and love." Draft proposals for the amputation process as written up by SALT do allow for the cryogenic freezing and re-attachment of one, or both, of Mr. Brady's arms after an unspecified specified period of time has passed an an acceptable level of intra-league parity has been reached. Such an "arm freeze," the coalition claim, should allow for a wider and more diverse mix of teams to compete for the championship."

erikejw

Will Sauber run Merc engines next year?

Rationale: Manor run old Ferrari engines 2015 and went Merc 2016. Toro Rosso run old Ferrari engines last season and will go to Renault.

Sauber will run old Ferrari engines this season and Manor left a Merc spot open and Wehrlein joined the team.

It makes sense from a Ferrari perspective to not expose their newest tech to a team who will leave for a competitor.

Cost night be one reason but also a new engine deal. That goes for all those teams.

Any news on Sauber and Merc engines?

PlatinumZealot

Not sure how Werlein will carry Ferrari information to mercedes and vice versa though? Even the mercedes mechanics dont even know whats going on on the insides of the mercedes engines. Not even Paddy Lowe knows the inner details. In fact, Andy Cowell hinted that there are still trust issues between Brixworth and brackely. They only joined forces in 2010 after all. And for all he knows brackely could be sold any moment now.
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

Just_a_fan

PlatinumZealot wrote:In fact, Andy Cowell hinted that there are still trust issues between Brixworth and brackely. They only joined forces in 2010 after all. And for all he knows brackely could be sold any moment now.
Where did he say that?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

FPV GTHO

turbof1 wrote:
FPV GTHO wrote:

My recollection was the original proposal was the same concept of power unit, just I4 instead of V6 to fit in with the FIA's global engine idea.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsp ... 255871.stm

http://m.bbc.com/sport/formula1/13878359