ERS Deployment Question

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Jolle

Re: ERS Deployment Question

Juzh wrote:
Jolle wrote:
Juzh wrote: ERS deployment graphic put on by FOM during races quite clearly shows deployment only being used on full throttle.

In what part throttle situations would you prefer ERS over ICE? Kimi didn't seem to like K deployment coming out of a hairpin in canada, did he?
The FOM graphics show when the K is fed from the ES, not when it's fed from the H.

When a driver asks, for instance, 80% throttle, the ICE could give 100% and the K unit -20%, in other words, harvesting energy. Even off throttle trough a corner the K could be maximising harvesting while the ICE is cancelling it out to have a zero force on the wheels.

Lots and lots to play with. The big teams have development drivers work the sim all weekend to come up with the most ideal maps with speed vs fuel save, overtaking, etc etc
This is viable strategy in qualifying where fuel is not a problem, but during the race? I'm not so sure burning fuel to charge batteries is more efficient than just putting it all down to the crank and to the tires. There's bound to be loses somewhere during the process.

I agree FOM most likely only monitors ES discharge, and mgu-h direct transfer to K could happen during part throttle, but I still don't understand why would you want to do that.
For the H to K directly, even with partial throttle is all about efficiency. But the amount of part throttle over a lap is marginal.

For the harvesting during off throttle, I imagine it's not constant but in special circumstances, like when fast recharge is nice when going for a few fast laps, qualifying, etc etc.

Muulka

Gone
Last edited by Muulka on 23 Sep 2016, 19:13, edited 1 time in total.

Muulka

Gone

megz

If we're in agreement that the car knows where it is on track - would we/should we have seen more harvesting happening through the esses this weekend just been in Japan?

I imagine the cars can't make full use of WOT throughout the majority of the esses - could the ECU then harvest heavily while the driver stayed WOT throughout that section and give the batteries a major boost?

I guess if what I'm saying is within the rules it would have happened, so I should think I'm probably missing something. Thoughts?