2021 Engine thread

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
MrPotatoHead

Re: 2021 Engine thread

Singabule wrote:
18 Apr 2018, 01:26
Koenisegg free valve technology do you mean? It is not reliable yet and cost a lot of energy. F1 dont need something like that, we only need vtec or vvti form.
I just saw the comment you were replying to - he was talking about the Koenigsegg turbo valve.
Essentially a Quick Spool valve that is built into the turbo housing (3D printed) that when closed reduces the apparent AR of the housing thus decreasing turbo spool time.

MrPotatoHead

Singabule

Wow thanks, this is new product from them, i dont know this is exist before. So basically twin scroll turbo with variable valve between one and other scroll to reduce back pressure utilizing 3D print technique on steel. It should be more reliable than variable vane because fewer moving parts inside the turbine. Yes i agree this could reduce lag, however in expense of reliability and turbine aerodinamics. I prefer use old big turbine with greater efficiency and fill torque using MGUK

MrPotatoHead

Yeah it’s basically a built in version of this:

https://www.suprastore.com/spquspva.html

FW17

I do not understand why the engine formula for 2021 is being closed out now, with the dead line set as May 2018

What is the point of giving manufacturers close to 2.5 years? This is just too much of a commitment for manufacturers.

Ideally it should be done in December 2019 so that they have just 12 months and manufacturers who are committing late are not disadvantaged.

CriXus

60% Efficiency ICE without Hybrid System
“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” - George Bernard Shaw

tcooper27

FW17 wrote:
23 Apr 2018, 15:38
I do not understand why the engine formula for 2021 is being closed out now, with the dead line set as May 2018

What is the point of giving manufacturers close to 2.5 years? This is just too much of a commitment for manufacturers.

Ideally it should be done in December 2019 so that they have just 12 months and manufacturers who are committing late are not disadvantaged.
Budgets are one reason. Most companies that are big enough to have the spare cash to compete plan for this kind of ongoing expenditure years in advance. Very few companies are going to commit late to a $150+ million/year project.

godlameroso

CriXus wrote:
23 Apr 2018, 16:29
60% Efficiency ICE without Hybrid System
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCr6bjQMrgU
I posted about this engine last year 8) glad he made a video about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VoiD4P ... IfVB5DoYYp

Here Rolf Reitz(one of the main brains behind this engine) gives his week long lecture explaining his work on RCCI in excruciatingly boring detail. Lots of good insights if you manage to sit through it all the way. He goes over the CFD used in developing it, the things they found, the models used, etc. Just the CFD aspect and the modeling was the most eye opening stuff.
Saishū kōnā

FW17

tcooper27 wrote:
23 Apr 2018, 17:52
FW17 wrote:
23 Apr 2018, 15:38

Budgets are one reason. Most companies that are big enough to have the spare cash to compete plan for this kind of ongoing expenditure years in advance. Very few companies are going to commit late to a $150+ million/year project.
It is too much of a head start to current manufacturers.

godlameroso

We still don't know the details about the engine. Even if it's a turbo V6 I still think the engine block, and rods should be standardized, let the manufacturers figure out the heads crank and pistons, and the lower block. Standardize the cam phasing mechanism and allow variable timing,but no variable lift profiles. Variable geometry turbo and exhaust. Standardized pneumatic valve system. This along with chopping the MGU-H should make the engines substantially cheaper, but still allow the manufacturers to put their own take on the concept. The engine should make roughly ~730hp or like the old V8 engines, the hybrid system should be good for 200+kw. Deployment and recovery should be controlled by the driver, the rate of both deployment and recovery should be variable.

One way would be to have two wheel mounted triggers which deploy through the front wheels. Or a push to pass with different settings, and a BBW which harvests at the rate the driver selects if the plan is to keep it RWD.
Saishū kōnā

CriXus

godlameroso wrote:
23 Apr 2018, 19:06
We still don't know the details about the engine. Even if it's a turbo V6 I still think the engine block, and rods should be standardized, let the manufacturers figure out the heads crank and pistons, and the lower block. Standardize the cam phasing mechanism and allow variable timing,but no variable lift profiles. Variable geometry turbo and exhaust. Standardized pneumatic valve system. This along with chopping the MGU-H should make the engines substantially cheaper, but still allow the manufacturers to put their own take on the concept. The engine should make roughly ~730hp or like the old V8 engines, the hybrid system should be good for 200+kw. Deployment and recovery should be controlled by the driver, the rate of both deployment and recovery should be variable.

One way would be to have two wheel mounted triggers which deploy through the front wheels. Or a push to pass with different settings, and a BBW which harvests at the rate the driver selects if the plan is to keep it RWD.
I do not understand why no one is mentioning some kind of push to pass. Let's say from these 200kw in the race you have 150kw + 50kw available for some time.
“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” - George Bernard Shaw

godlameroso

CriXus wrote:
23 Apr 2018, 20:03
godlameroso wrote:
23 Apr 2018, 19:06

I do not understand why no one is mentioning some kind of push to pass. Let's say from these 200kw in the race you have 150kw + 50kw available for some time.
Well seeing as how the next gen formula E cars have 200kW race motors, F1 should also have 200kW KERS units. So I agree if the push to pass is 250kW :twisted:
Saishū kōnā

NL_Fer

But how to charge the ES for those push to pass actions? With brake harvesting alone, there will be less than 10s “kers boost” available per lap.

AJI
AJI

NL_Fer wrote:
24 Apr 2018, 00:00
But how to charge the ES for those push to pass actions? With brake harvesting alone, there will be less than 10s “kers boost” available per lap.
Remove down force so they have to use the brakes more?
Motoring against the K is another way, but that seems counterintuitive to me

MrPotatoHead

NL_Fer wrote:
24 Apr 2018, 00:00
The same way they do in LMP - by using the front axle as well as the rear axle to harvest.