Renault Motor - Audible external wastegate sound?

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
F1SC

Renault Motor - Audible external wastegate sound?

Hi everyone,

I have noticed that the Renault powered cars make an amazing noise as they come off the corners on part throttle and then hit full throttle. I didn't hear this in person at any GP's last season, is this the noise of the external wastegate opening being amplified by the two "screamer" exhaust pipes?

I also haven't noticed the Ferrari, Honda or Mercedes doing this?

The sound is evident below in the first clip, just as the car goes full throttle - sounds fantastic!

NL_Fer

Re: Renault Motor - Audible external wastegate sound?

I believe the strategy is indeed to open the wastegate just after the Turbo has spooled up and run it of the MGU-H for s short moment. It would be the most usefull for using the burst of extra power.

So i asume you can hear it at the beginning of the straights.

DiogoBrand

Makes me wonder: with unlimited fuel these power units might even start to sound good.

Jolle

DiogoBrand wrote:Makes me wonder: with unlimited fuel these power units might even start to sound good.
With unlimited fuel comes unlimited power. Sounds like fun, but the racing is awful.

PlatinumZealot

Awful? did you mean to say fun? because with unlimited power comes unlimited mistakes!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

mcjamweasel

Hearing these cars on track this waste gate noise is very noticeable. I was watching the Silverstone test from Vale, and the RB and Renaults were both blowing the waste gate between the left/right. It was also audible on the Mercedes, but nowhere near as loud. I didn't hear any on the Ferrari or Honda.

The Renault also has quite a bit of overrun backfire/burble that the other engines don't have.

Cold Fussion

On the onboards for the Manor's from last year you could make out the waste gate noises quite clearly.

OO7
OO7

Jolle wrote:
DiogoBrand wrote:Makes me wonder: with unlimited fuel these power units might even start to sound good.
With unlimited fuel comes unlimited power. Sounds like fun, but the racing is awful.
The fuel flow restriction would prevent "unlimited power".

Muulka

Gone

F1SC

I attended the Singapore GP and the Honda sounded amazing in real life. I also noticed it has an audible external wastegate sound on full throttle, found a clip from Monza that shows it pretty well:

https://youtu.be/9Inde7QL_1k?t=92

ojlopez

I know this is not related to the topic, but at about 2:18 it is interesting to see how the Merc's rear suspension behaves on that corner compared to the others.