Torque vs Energy. Same units, not the same thing

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

FoxHound wrote:
Cold Fussion wrote:
FoxHound wrote:My bet is the Mercedes is more powerful in both torque figures and bhp. And as the simplest definition(there's a thread on this...lots of opinions) for the relation is Power = the rate at which bhp delivers it's torque. Explained to me by a Honda technician(Yuasa racing).... A diesel has 200nm torque and can deliver that at a rate of 150bhp, versus a Petrol with 120nm torque that can deliver it at 170bhp. The diesel would be superior if the cars were of similar mass, size etc.
I would love to see the results from a laptime simulator where you subtract 12% of the power from one car. I have a sneaky suspicion that it won't say the less powerful car is faster.

Is torque not power?
No.

dans79

Re: 2016 Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team - Mercedes

FoxHound wrote: Is torque not power?
No, torque is a measurement of force over a distance (N/m), power is energy over time (J/s).
197 104 103 7

SameSame
SameSame

Power = Angular velocity x Torque. I always find it interesting when units of N.m and bhp are used together :P

SameSame
SameSame

dans79 wrote:
No, torque is a measurement of force over a distance (N/m), power is energy over time (J/s).
Torque is N.m an not N/m… and N.m = J so power is basically the rate at which the torque is delivered, which is perfectly in line with what FoxHound said.

Jolle
Jolle

SameSame wrote:
dans79 wrote:
Torque is N.m an not N/m… and N.m = J so power is basically the rate at which the torque is delivered, which is perfectly in line with what FoxHound said.
No...

Torque is the amount of force (in newton) that is applied to the end of a one meter long beam attached to the crankshaft.

mrluke
mrluke

SameSame wrote:
dans79 wrote:
It is, until he made the conclusion that the car which had less power would be faster over a lap.

SameSame
SameSame

Jolle wrote:
SameSame wrote:
dans79 wrote:
No...

Torque is the amount of force (in newton) that is applied to the end of a one meter long beam attached to the crankshaft.
Which is N x m… This is really basic

SameSame
SameSame

mrluke wrote:
SameSame wrote:
dans79 wrote:
It is, until he made the conclusion that the car which had less power would be faster over a lap.
I agree that that last part isn't true.

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

SameSame wrote:
dans79 wrote:
Are you saying torque is energy?

dans79

Jolle wrote:
SameSame wrote:
dans79 wrote:
No...

He is correct its units are N.m that was my mistake, and i should know better because a decade and a half ago I got a B.S. in physics.

N.m = J is incorrect though, because it does not account for time properly (s).
1 N = 1 kg ⋅ m/s^2
197 104 103 7

SameSame
SameSame

Cold Fussion wrote:
SameSame wrote:
dans79 wrote:
Indeed I am. Think about power. rad/s (angular velocity) x N.m (Torque) = J/s. (A radian is dimensionless)

SameSame
SameSame

Energy is force multiplied by distance i.e. Work

Jolle
Jolle

dans79 wrote:
Jolle wrote:
SameSame wrote: Torque is N.m an not N/m… and N.m = J so power is basically the rate at which the torque is delivered, which is perfectly in line with what FoxHound said.
No...

He is correct its units are N.m that was my mistake, and i should know better because a decade and a half ago I got a B.S. in physics.

N.m = J is incorrect though, because it does not account for time properly (s).
1 N = 1 kg ⋅ m/s^2
And that's why with the old engines revs are the holy grail. Revolutions are time and distance, combined with torque (force) makes power.

SameSame
SameSame

Although admittedly they are not the "same" thing

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

SameSame wrote:
Cold Fussion wrote:
SameSame wrote: Torque is N.m an not N/m… and N.m = J so power is basically the rate at which the torque is delivered, which is perfectly in line with what FoxHound said.
Indeed I am. Think about power. rad/s (angular velocity) x N.m (Torque) = J/s. (A radian is dimensionless)
Oh dear. On an unrelated topic, do you know where I can purchase one of these?

Bhall It's happening again.