Engine Mod Advantage

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Engine Mod Advantage

Horner: "Engine modes Mercedes' biggest advantage now".

Is this a software and or hardware issue?

Brian

Skippon
Skippon

Re: Engine Mod Advantage

Both its about how the software and controls manage the engine, trading off peak response or power for engine life/damage.

PlatinumZealot

hardingfv32 wrote:Horner: "Engine modes Mercedes' biggest advantage now".

Is this a software and or hardware issue?

Brian
I would say Hardware not software limited. If it was software it would be easy to try all sorts of combinations. But in fact, Mercedes engine can produce more peak power because they have the hardware to allow those sorts of controls to work.

The Ferrari car was faster than Mercedes in Suzuka qualifying if you watch the Kimi VS Nico Rosberg side by side video. Kimi made some mistakes and Rosberg had better traction out of some corners... The Ferrari had good downforce in the essess as it matched the Merc, and dragging from corner to corner the Ferrari was right there. The set up and the driver was the difference. So certainly Ferrari and Mercedes has more experience in the engine qualifying mode.
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

GPR-A duplicate2

PlatinumZealot wrote:The Ferrari car was faster than Mercedes in Suzuka qualifying if you watch the Kimi VS Nico Rosberg side by side video. Kimi made some mistakes and Rosberg had better traction out of some corners...
Due to the blow out in Malaysia, Mercedes did not use the quali mode in Japan.

TOTO WOLFF ADMITS MERCEDES F1 ENGINES TURNED DOWN IN SUZUKA AFTER HAMILTON FAILURE
Mercedes F1 boss Toto Wolff has said that the team was not able to run the engines on as โ€˜spicyโ€™ a setting in todayโ€™s qualifying session as they would have liked, as the team continues to analyse why Lewis Hamiltonโ€™s engine failed in the Malaysian Grand Prix.
The Austrian added that they will also run the engine on a slightly less high performance setting in the Japanese Grand Prix tomorrow, but added that the โ€˜deficit will not be as large in qualifying.โ€™

PlatinumZealot

I knew you were going to post that quote. Well, that's the thing, they used a thicker engine oil... and I was thinking that they probably had enough protection from that for the engine bearings, but Toto is never a straight shooter.. can't trust what he says sometimes. I was thinking that race modes would be where they make the most changes to the "spiciness."

Qualifying is only two laps - a few seconds of full throttle so I was not thinking it won't aggravate the issue as much as the race.

Anyway, just my interpretation.
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

basti313
basti313

PlatinumZealot wrote:I knew you were going to post that quote. Well, that's the thing, they used a thicker engine oil... and I was thinking that they probably had enough protection from that for the engine bearings, but Toto is never a straight shooter.. can't trust what he says sometimes. I was thinking that race modes would be where they make the most changes to the "spiciness."

Qualifying is only two laps - a few seconds of full throttle so I was not thinking it won't aggravate the issue as much as the race.

Anyway, just my interpretation.
Absolutely true. And if you quote them (Toto and Paddy) it was just the oil, that costs performance in Q mode. They did not really say that they were not using the Q mode.
And the next one in the line is Horner. The whole thing here is nonsense, it is the usual excuse by Horner and Marco after Q. The race showed, that Merc has a bigger advantage in the race than in Q. Ham was faster on old Softs than Ricciardo on new Softs after the first pitstop.
Don`t russel the hamster!