bypass the fuel flow limit

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
NL_Fer

bypass the fuel flow limit

for a limited amount of time, driving with full power. To overtake or defend, as a replacement of DRS.

It would look fantastic, more strain on the engines en more deversity in pu performance. Maybe Mercedes is still stronger within 100kg/hr but Ferrari is stronger in unlimited mode.

And we could limit it to 1 minute for a whole race and even add some fanboost to drivers voted for, by the fans.

Great idea or utter BS?

zac510

Re: bypass the fuel flow limit

I think many people would say this is impure like DRS. I don't necessarily agree that DRS is impure, but you should prepare a counter-argument for those people.

Personally I think Mercedes would excel in either mode. If you're in the lead of the race in normal economy mode then you have track position and control over the pace of the race to use the unlimited mode whenever you need, to gain an even larger advantage.

As it is now the car that's in the lead/starting from pole has too much advantage. The only thing about voting by fans is that they might never give it to the car that's already in the lead.

Nickel

keep total fuel allowance the same and you won't need a time limit. use it too long and you wont make the full distance

zac510

Nickel wrote:keep total fuel allowance the same and you won't need a time limit. use it too long and you wont make the full distance
And what about qualifying?

i70q7m7ghw

Fanboost is utter bovine excrement. Why should the fans decide who wins? Completely devalues the competition.

Jolle

it's a nice idea, but in practice very difficult. The PU's are closely tuned to the fuel flow. The boost and turbo are build for having the right amount of mixture at 10.500 rpm, the cooling system is safely tuned to the power, etc etc. A short boost in fuel flow will dramatically mess up the whole efficiency of the PU.

If any of these "fan boost Facebook who has the best fans" thing will ever come it will be true electric power.

NL_Fer

Jolle wrote:it's a nice idea, but in practice very difficult. The PU's are closely tuned to the fuel flow. The boost and turbo are build for having the right amount of mixture at 10.500 rpm, the cooling system is safely tuned to the power, etc etc. A short boost in fuel flow will dramatically mess up the whole efficiency of the PU.

If any of these "fan boost Facebook who has the best fans" thing will ever come it will be true electric power.
That would make it very interesting, who has the biggest boost vs most efficient engine in flow mode. Would it not?

zac510

It's OK to say that's interesting, but if you change the regulations and then find within two races that it just hands more advantage to the team(s) with the best engine, then you've just taken a step backwards.

Nickel

zac510 wrote:
Nickel wrote:keep total fuel allowance the same and you won't need a time limit. use it too long and you wont make the full distance
And what about qualifying?
Release the hounds.

I feel like engine governance is another area of prime example of over regulation. for example fuel flow in race is redundant as they all save fuel for much of the race already. whether they start with 100kg or not, overall usage is governing their fuel flow rate much of the time. Deregulating this wouldn't change a ton except to add the strategic element of when to use an even higher flow rate.

For qualifying, the total engine allowance for the season combined with the closing of the "PU element stockpiling" loophole means you don't want to jack your flow rate to the moon or you risk blowing things up.

I think it would be great to free things up a bit. Maybe even a lot.

Webber2011

Fan Boost...............surely you're on the wrong Forum ? ? ?

I'd be happy to do away with any sort of fuel restrictions.
No flow rates, no tank size.
If someone's crazy enough to design a car that can carry 200 litres, and an engine that can burn it all up and be faster than anyone else, why not ?

Fark the environment when it comes to F1 :wink:

zac510

I do think that having a huge difference between qualifying speed would be great for comepetition reasons, but the FIA and so on have an obligation to create a rule structure that allows smaller teams to achieve almost all of the performance of Merecedes but for 50% of the cost. When there are only 12 teams, F1 can't afford to just open up the budget rules and let them sort themselves out because there's a great risk you'd lose 2 or 3 teams to bankruptcy. If there were 100 teams and we lost 10 that'd be fine, but 2 from 12 is too many.

A far cheaper way to do it would be to allow DRS anywhere on the track during qualifying (like it used to be).

mclaren111

Webber2011 wrote:Fan Boost...............surely you're on the wrong Forum ? ? ?

I'd be happy to do away with any sort of fuel restrictions.
No flow rates, no tank size.
If someone's crazy enough to design a car that can carry 200 litres, and an engine that can burn it all up and be faster than anyone else, why not ?

Fark the environment when it comes to F1 :wink:
Can not agree more !!! Very eloquently put !! :D :D