Different sounds and intervals between engines, or: what causes an engine's character?

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
J.A.W.
J.A.W.

Re: Different sounds and intervals between engines, or: what causes an engine's character?

Hey D-55, here's a cool-as article, ( check: 1st new p-graph, 2nd column) & mayhaps, of relevant/topical interest..

"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

giulio
giulio

Re: Different sounds and intervals between engines, or: what causes an engine's character?

Hi guys, I'd like to chime in. I found this topic while looking for info, relating to a silly ""project"" of mine.

I was looking for info on the crossplane V8 firing intervals - why, I'll keep it short - I was (like Darkone55) interested in the relation between an engine layout/implementation and its sound.

Only in my tinkering, I went a more rustic approach. I coded a simple "synthesyzer", that only accounts (for now) for the engine layout (i.e. firing intervals).

Synthesyzer, because the firing "event" is modeled as a very simple pulse (gaussian pulse for the fellow engineers), pulses are laid out according to the RPMs and firing intervals.
It is a very, very rough contraption, but it does prove the point of how the firing intervals contribute to the timbre.

I'd happily share the source if anyone is interested in playing with it, improving it, or just looking at it in disgust.
Honestly, I'd be curious to have it validated with the same frequency analysis Darkone did.

tteu93
tteu93

Hey guys,

this post seems old but if someone is still listening, check this out

This is a tool I made which allows to configure an engine and simulate the sound it makes. We can hear the different harmonics clearly