Cooling fans on F1 cars

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Big Tea

Cooling fans on F1 cars

Post by Big Tea » Wed May 30, 2018 9:32 pm

Not sure if this should be here of in general?

I was wondering now that the MGU-H can supply power the car can not legally use if it was at all feasible or even of any advantage to use it to power electric cooling fans.

Not only for on the grid and safety car, but we often hear of cars 'staying in the clear air' when they have been following for a while.
One test is worth a thousand expert opinions

roon

Re: Cooling fans on F1 cars

Post by roon » Wed May 30, 2018 9:41 pm

Fans likely considered as bodywork. Moving bodywork prohibited. There may be an explicit mention of fans in the cooling system section of the regs. Regardless, one would have to compare the mass and location of any fan and its ductwork, and whether they would provide any improvement over ductwork which can supply air from a ~60-300kph variable source.

Big Tea

Post by Big Tea » Wed May 30, 2018 9:54 pm

I can not see a specific reference unless it is covered by 3.8 Aerodynamic influence

I suppose though the weight and position would be more beneficial as ballast where needed.
One test is worth a thousand expert opinions

roon

Post by roon » Wed May 30, 2018 10:01 pm

Should be the same rules that rendered Murray's fan car illegal.

strad

Post by strad » Wed May 30, 2018 10:20 pm

I'd bet that it would be illegal but I don't see how it is a moveable aerodynamic device.
Motorsport without danger is like cooking without salt
Sir Stirling Moss

AJI

Post by AJI » Thu May 31, 2018 12:02 am

Big Tea wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 9:32 pm

I was wondering now that the MGU-H can supply power the car can not legally use if it was at all feasible or even of any advantage to use it to power electric cooling fans.

Not only for on the grid and safety car, but we often hear of cars 'staying in the clear air' when they have been following for a while.
Are you talking radiator fans? They'd only be useful on the grid after the formation lap, so, for about 15 seconds per race for the guys on the front row. I'm pretty sure they have them. They used to anyway… Well, the RB7 did at at least one race..

roon

Post by roon » Thu May 31, 2018 5:29 am

AJI wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 12:02 am
Big Tea wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 9:32 pm

Are you talking radiator fans? They'd only be useful on the grid after the formation lap, so, for about 15 seconds per race for the guys on the front row. I'm pretty sure they have them. They used to anyway… Well, the RB7 did at at least one race..

http://f1grandprix.motorionline.com/wp- ... ll-RB6.jpg
That's a pre-2009 demonstration car for press events. Note the pushrod rear suspension, low rear wing, and crash-structure-diffuser.

AJI

Post by AJI » Thu May 31, 2018 7:39 am

roon wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 5:29 am

That's a pre-2009 demonstration car for press events. Note the pushrod rear suspension, low rear wing, and crash-structure-diffuser.
Well that explains it. I thought it looked particularly un-F1.

Cold Fussion

Post by Cold Fussion » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:35 am

Even if they were to use fans, I highly doubt it would be slapped onto the back of the radiator without any form of ductwork.